Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dr. Lonnie Smith Ventilator Demo

Rockhouse

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He runs the distance on 5 oclock. When I first got mine I was also running mine at 5 oclock as I felt the chorale's amplitude modulation was too strong at 12 oclock (still do). Now I run it around 3 to 4 oclock.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Dave,

So, by 5 o'clock, would that be about 8 on the 10 scale the Vent uses?

I typically run between 0 distance to 5 (right in the center). I love the way it sounds setting the distance to 0, but the overload light is much more likely to kick on at that setting. I'll have to try increasing the distance.

that video has been on the Neo Instruments website for at least 2 years now. I'm sure you are not alone in being sold by it. It sure had a part of me buying it without actually trying it out myself.

BTW, I did mention on your post recently how good you and your rig sounded, the CX3 and vent combination. :thu:

:nopity:

Dave,

So, by 5 o'clock, would that be about 8 on the 10 scale the Vent uses?

I typically run between 0 distance to 5 (right in the center). I love the way it sounds setting the distance to 0, but the overload light is much more likely to kick on at that setting. I'll have to try increasing the distance.

Sorry, I forgot about the values on the dial. When I first got it I was running it on "10" (all the way to the right). Now I probably run it around "8". '5' (straight up) still throbs too much for my taste on the low rotor sim at fast speed. I prefer it to sound more like a leslie in a room rather than a mic'd leslie, so when I got it '10' sounded better than '5' to me. Still does....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I think the problem with many of the other leslie sims is that they smooth the AM out too much and then you loose the punch of the leslie in tremelo.

More distance sounds better when the sound is solo'd but you blend too much when put in the house mix.

FunMachine.

that video has been on the Neo Instruments website for at least 2 years now. I'm sure you are not alone in being sold by it. It sure had a part of me buying it without actually trying it out myself.

BTW, I did mention on your post recently how good you and your rig sounded, the CX3 and vent combination. :thu:

Yup, bought the Vent close to 3 yrs ago :)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I think the problem with many of the other leslie sims is that they smooth the AM out too much and then you loose the punch of the leslie in tremelo.

More distance sounds better when the sound is solo'd but you blend too much when put in the house mix.

I don't necessarily disagree with this (as far as losing 'punch', or blending too much), but too much tremolo AM bothers me. My current VB3 Leslie setting has the distance at about 2:00. Any less distance, and the throb is irritating. Of course, the trade-off is that I lose some definition with the upper drawbars.

It's possible that it may seem worse than it is, since I use IEM's, in mono. The I'm guessing a stereo signal wouldn't sound as throbby.

Stuff and things.

Notice that the good Dr. is using a Hartke combo amp, not some hoity toity powered speaker. That is one of the reasons it sounds so authentic.

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad216/tonysounds/GetaGrip.jpg

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My Ventilator's settings are:

distance: 2:00

Accel: 2:30 (to make it "heavier")

Drive: 12:00-2:00 (love that crunch!)

Speed: 11:30

I use it on my Hammond B3MkII Portable whenever i want to play at night with headphones. it sounds amazing.

(for daytime i use my Leslie 3300)

My tip is not to set the L/R panning of the Vent over 45%. Otherwise it sounds unnatural and unpleasant (IMHO).

Hammond B3MkII Portable, Leslie 3300, Korg CX3v2, Neo Instruments Ventilator, Nord Stage 88, Roland GAIA

He plays like a genius and is so well spoken I could listen to him read the phone book for hours. Great man, the doctor.

Not to be confused with Lonnie Liston Smith......

He's not nearly the same caliber player as Dr. Lonnie Smith.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Notice that the good Dr. is using a Hartke combo amp, not some hoity toity powered speaker. That is one of the reasons it sounds so authentic. The other is the Ventilator. The Vent/Hartke combination is hard to beat.

And if he were on a stage with that setup he'd look great, but nobody would hear him.

He plays like a genius and is so well spoken I could listen to him read the phone book for hours. Great man, the doctor.

Not to be confused with the Hammond tech Lonnie Smith at George Smith's Music in Anderson, IN....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Apples and Oranges. LLS has a unique voice and has made some killer albums. Not sure if he even plays organ on any of them.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived