Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turn on your love light - Bob Seger version

Phred

Hey all,

My band is learning a new tune

[video:youtube]IuOsIB4a_ho

The song/version is pretty straight forward, and pretty fun to play. I am however struggling with the run at 1:01 (again at 3:41). My two issues (very related) are

1. figuring out what the run actually is, and

2. fingering a multi octave descending run like this.

I can get close (uh...sort of ... I still don't really know what he is doing exactly) for a about 1.5 octaves, and then the brain-dead fingering I am using falls apart.

Thanks in advance.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Use notes that are in the chord structure as you can. Even if you had the exact notes it has to do with how its being phrased and played. Also remember if you put your own lick in that spot you have to punch it in at the right time. Im positive the keyboard player on that track did that as an afterthought. Licks like that are not usually thought out.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Thanks Outkaster,

Right!! What I am doing right now is similar to what you said above. I am basically doing a descending run with a triad + the 2nd in it. I start on a high B, and try to work down playing as many Bs, G#, F# and Es as I can. I fall apart fingering wise at about 1.5 octaves.

Maybe he did it as an afterthought, but it seems to be a segue between the two sections of the tunes.

a) he does the same lick twice in the song.

b) he is completely alone when he does it (just drums)

c) it's in precisely the same place both times.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Yeah he probably does it without realizing and it its the one keyboardist he has the guy is no slouch. I'm sure it comes easy to him.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

...Im positive the keyboard player on that track did that as an afterthought. Licks like that are not usually thought out.

True.

If you prefer the actual run, here's the gist of it. Just play the 3 beat motif (phrased) through 4 octaves, end it on a low E, and you've got 95% of what's on the track.

http://i47.tinypic.com/zx5hdh.png

Wow wow! Awesome. I am super thrilled for this. Thanks bernmeister. I can see I was pretty far off. I have some rehearsing to do!! Thanks.

I will try various fingerings...

Skip Knape is the keyboard guy on the Bob Seger version of "Turn On Your Lovelight"...and he can play. He teamed up with David Teagarden on drums..they called the act Teagarden & Van Winkle and worked the Detroit market for years..they both played on some of Seger's albums. The Smokin' Ops album is a killer. Check out "If I Were A Carpenter" and you will hear what in my opnion is some of the greatest rock B3 licks ever.

Archived