Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DI vs submixer bal out

shughes

I am currently reorganizing my keyboard rig and considering getting a submixer to mix my own monitor levels. Currently I am going into a Roland CM-30 and it just can't complete with my guitarist to the left.

I have seen other posts about mixing on stage but the area I am confused about is if you have a mixer like a Zed 10 or Mackie 802-vlz3 and run the balanced main outs to the FOH via a snake do you need to have a DI between the mixer and snake? From the Mackie manual it appears not so maybe the better question would be is there anything sonically I am missing by using a quality DI like a Radial ProD2 that a submixer would be missing?

Schimmel Upright C120

Kurzweil PC3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want one of these:

http://a2.images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/236181.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_di8e.htm?gclid=COa-kNebhLUCFePHtAodgTQAiA

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I am currently reorganizing my keyboard rig and considering getting a submixer to mix my own monitor levels. Currently I am going into a Roland CM-30 and it just can't complete with my guitarist to the left.

I have seen other posts about mixing on stage but the area I am confused about is if you have a mixer like a Zed 10 or Mackie 802-vlz3 and run the balanced main outs to the FOH via a snake do you need to have a DI between the mixer and snake? ....

Yes.

If not you could carry one of these and hope for the best.

http://img.alibaba.com/img/buyoffer/295415600/Grounded_AC_Plug_Adapter_3_prong_to_2_prong.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You mention "loud guitarist."

You've a single Kurzweil PC3 listed in your sig. Is that all you use to gig?

If so I'm in a similar situation - single keyboard rig.

I've a pair of CM-30s for monitoring duties at folk gigs. Function band and pub gigs I've switched to a Behringer B210D on a stand. It's loud enough and definitely good enough quality if you're getting a lot of onstage volume from a guitar combo nearby.

That and a passive DI (with a ground lift) will be fine. Your keys are through the PA - you know what they sound like. You just need to hear yourself play. Sending them into a DI and then separate outs to PA and monitor means you can turn up or down at the powered speaker without messing up the sound out front. Leave the volume on your keyboard alone once it's set at the start of the night.

Passive DI and a powered speaker - cheap(ish) and effective. Use the CM30 for quieter gigs or ones with a really big stage.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

stillgigging,

yep, that is how i have it setup right now. pc3 balanced outs to the snake and using aux outs on pc3 (using mirroring) to the roland cube. the FOH is padding my input currently. i also take a feed from the snake that gives me a monitor feed of everyone else that goes into the roland cube. so i can control my sound in monitor as well as the bands. i set my master volume on the pc3 to about 75% and just leave it.

reason for my asking is I am strongly considering getting a S90XS which has unbalanced outs. Was either going to go straight to a Radial ProD2 and use the throughs to a small mixer like a mackie 402 for monitoring or go with a mackie 802 or zed 10 if the those mixers could also function as a DI. Its looks like both the mackie 802 and A&H zed 10 have mic level switch for the balanced out if needed. This is for my church and they are getting getting a powered JBL monitor for me to replace the roland cube

Schimmel Upright C120

Kurzweil PC3

If you are going to play in the same venue all the time then you can try it. If it works the first time you are probably good to go.

But if you are gigging different venues and hooking to different sound systems you need a DI with a groundlift. You will run into the FOH being on seperate circuits than you are running on and from time to time you will run into monster buzz without a groundlift.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

thanks CEB, might just take the Radial DI approach and use a small mackie 402-vlz3 for dedicated on-stage monitor mix of my keys and the FOH monitor feed. I have heard a lot of good things from the Radial ProD2's

Schimmel Upright C120

Kurzweil PC3

Archived