Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all of the gadgets in this board you've GOT TO cover the very very basics. I don't care what any "pro" says, you must have a facility to hold up music sheets. Belittle my comment all you want but a simple music stand to hold up music notation is a requirement.

That's funny, since most "pro" boards don't have a music stand built-in. Which ones do?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's funny, since most "pro" boards don't have a music stand built-in. Which ones do?

It is an option on the PC3K8 which I do have. No such option on my Kronos 88 however. The SV-1 comes with one included.

A music rest would have been good to have, but doesn't take away from how much I like this board.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Guys, pro's teach other people. for that you need music. I'm not talking about giggin. If you're giggin then you don't need a stand most of the time. I guess since it's marketed as a stage piano then yes, no music stand needed most of the time. But they are not marketing it only as a stage piano in all actuality. They're pumping up its master keyboard/zone/synth/acoustic piano abilities. Let's put it this way, you' wouldn't complain if you received a music stand would you??

Fortunately, if people must have music stands, they are available for purchase separately. Also, some keyboard stands have attachments available.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

With all of the gadgets in this board you've GOT TO cover the very very basics. I don't care what any "pro" says, you must have a facility to hold up music sheets. Belittle my comment all you want but a simple music stand to hold up music notation is a requirement.

Wasn't this already covered ad nauseum on page 20 or so of this 97-page thread? (Loving the thread...just think it's funny that the conversation has looped backed onto itself now.)

I agree with Scott - if you're desperate for a music stand, you can add one. Far more important to have features you can't "retro-fit", such as controller capability (check).

I don't think this board is even aimed at teachers. If it was, it would have built-in speakers. Casio have the PX-150 and 350 in their lineup for that.

(Other digital pianos are available...)

Cheers, Mike.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you're brave enough to remove the blue plastic strip from the top of the keyboard, you'll find the PX-350's indented groove for attaching the music rest. It would make sense for them to use the same shell for both boards. Mike might be able to confirm or deny.

Also, if you read comments about placing Privias into soft cases, most of them complain about the music stand sticking out...

Unfortunately, the Privia soft cases have pockets that are too small for most music stands. Nice case apart from that, though. It will take the Roland FP-4, the Numa Piano, and the Yamaha P-105, in addition to the Privias.

Just got a PX-5S over the weekend and hooked it up to an AV receiver with subwoofer/satellite speakers with regular Stereo playback.

The key action makes a "thud" when the key is pressed to the bottom and even makes a sound when it bounces back up. Note that these are sounds made by the keybase itself, and not the selected Tone. The key action sounds become really distracting when softer pieces are being played, or with Tones like GrandConcert piano which are softer anyway.

Has anyone else seen this with their PX-5S, and is it a normal part of the keyboard design?

Yes, some sort of option for adding a stand is in order. Also, the idea of sheet music as old fashioned is ridiculous.

After having 2000+ scores on an iPad, few look at using paper sheet music. Unless you have stock in a paper company, of course.

I don't miss having no built-in stand, suspect as the reviews for other Previas state, it would be tough to squeeze the unit into a gig bag due to such constructions.

Yes, some sort of option for adding a stand is in order. Also, the idea of sheet music as old fashioned is ridiculous.

After having 2000+ scores on an iPad, few look at using paper sheet music. Unless you have stock in a paper company, of course.

I don't miss having no built-in stand, suspect as the reviews for other Previas state, it would be tough to squeeze the unit into a gig bag due to such constructions.

Of course you're speaking for yourself. I thought of going with sibelius but it's just not the same as paper/pencil.

Just got a PX-5S over the weekend and hooked it up to an AV receiver with subwoofer/satellite speakers with regular Stereo playback.

The key action makes a "thud" when the key is pressed to the bottom and even makes a sound when it bounces back up. Note that these are sounds made by the keybase itself, and not the selected Tone. The key action sounds become really distracting when softer pieces are being played, or with Tones like GrandConcert piano which are softer anyway.

Has anyone else seen this with their PX-5S, and is it a normal part of the keyboard design?

Quite normal and also on grand pianos.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I tried EVERY keyboard in the house and

they ALL make some sort of "key" sound when

playing - The Px5s made some noise,

but my SQ-80 is the loudest.

The instrument with the quietest action?

My acoustic grand! :laugh:

What's an iPad?

Guess I'm old fashioned. Never read anything but sheet music.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

What's an iPad?

The times they are a' changin'....

On our last few cruises, EVERY musician

in the orchestra was reading music from

a laptop or Ipad ( What is an Ipad????.. )

Piano bar and cocktail pianist played from memory.

What's an iPad?

The times they are a' changin'....

On our last few cruises, EVERY musician

in the orchestra was reading music from

a laptop or Ipad ( What is an Ipad????.. )

Piano bar and cocktail pianist played from memory.

There not changing as much as some are letting on.

I still use a book of music..thought about doing an ipad, but sometimes changes are made, arrgmts, chords, roots, modulations. Some tunes are ever changing. Can u do that on an ipad?

Not to get off topic, still looking for a 5 to try. Bound to happen soon.

Where are you located? Someone may have one near you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived