Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please tell me this board is mains powered and not via wall-wart...

The manual shows an external transformer but

NOT the "wall wart"...

THIS ISN'T THE ACTUAL POWER SUPPLY.. JUST FOR EXAMPLE:

http://www.insaneblogging.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/laptop-power-cords.jpg

Hey Keyz, I prefer to try one. Hows Orlando? Drove thru there last week.

Orlando will be MUCH better on Thursday! :)

Will GC send one to your store without

you having to commit?

I doubt it, but theyll be some around to try soon.

Do you remember when you used to order something via mail order, and have no idea when it would show up? Sometimes, you'd practically forget you ordered it so it was a big surprise when it arrived.

Or, you would go to a store, and they would have to order the item for you and call you when it arrived.

:snax:

That said, I'm glad to see all you guys so excited to be getting this board. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Do you remember when you used to order something via mail order, and have no idea when it would show up? Sometimes, you'd practically forget you ordered it so it was a big surprise when it arrived.

Or, you would go to a store, and they would have to order the item for you and call you when it arrived.

:snax:

That said, I'm glad to see all you guys so excited to be getting this board. :thu:

Thanks for the kind words... and yes I remember ordering

a Police slot car for my race track when I was 10..it had working

blue lights.. TOOK FOREVER!!! Really like 4 weeks but

man, how far we've come!

Can't wait to pull the "BACK IN MY DAY" to my son!

Hide her car keys and shoes!

Just the keys. She will believe she just misplaced them. She'll never believe that she misplaced her shoes, women have a special part of their brain dedicated to their shoes.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hide her car keys and shoes!

Just the keys. She will believe she just misplaced them. She'll never believe that she misplaced her shoes, women have a special part of their brain dedicated to their shoes.

Very true! If she's like my wife, she's sure to have "back-ups"

buried around the yard!

I have to retract an earlier statement. The Mac/PC editor for the PX-5S won't be released this week, I heard this morning that they are now aiming to release it at the same time as v1.10. Sorry, I've done my best to pass along information as I receive it but they're doing a little more work on the editors so they'll release after their "Golden Week" vacation.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have to retract an earlier statement. The Mac/PC editor for the PX-5S won't be released this week, I heard this morning that they are now aiming to release it at the same time as v1.10. Sorry, I've done my best to pass along information as I receive it but they're doing a little more work on the editors so they'll release after their "Golden Week" vacation.

If it was anyone else: torches and pitchforks!

But we like you, Mike - so... no worries! :cool:

Can you run the PX-5S directly from a car accessory socket?

With a converter to AC 110/220V, sure. Anything else, nope.

How about a 12v-12v converter?

How about with jumper cables?

;)

I suppose this is possible, but you might want to check current draw first. I'd probably just stick with the batteries.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The answer to the automotive question is a little tricky, but do-able. Most DC-DC converters are either Buck or Boost, meaning they will either regulate down or up... but not both. Vehicle power, subject to charging and sag from other loads, can wander all over the place (both above and below 12 volts).

The PX-5S specifies 12V, though I don't know how that is actually handled internally. On the assumption that it does indeed matter, I'm playing it safe with a buck/boost DC-DC power supply so I don't have to run the boat's inverter... and the hot ticket on those is the one made for HP OmniBooks way back when. You can find it on eBay at the moment, listed as "F1064A HP 40W Auto Adapter for Omnibook 300/400/500/600" (I bought three of them, as I have other picky 12V gizmos as well.)

At 40 watts, this WAYYYY more power than the PX-5S needs, so is serious overkill, but if you have other 12-volt loads, it's a safe way to go. But for occasional use in a vehicle, an external battery power pack with decent regulation might be a better choice (and you would also not have to fret about possible glitches from the starter, though I get the impression the F1064A handles that pretty well).

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, get a couple of rechargeable battery sets. I would never risk plugging in a Casio Privia with a 12V/12V system into a car outlet. Does not compute.

For some reason they don't want re-chargeables used

in the Px5s, Ni-Cads or Alkies. :(

Well, why not... Should work fine.

For some reason they don't want re-chargeables used

in the Px5s, Ni-Cads or Alkies. :(

Well, why not... Should work fine.

Oh I know it SHOULD work fine, but

Tokyo will not approve them...

oh well...

Anyway.. good news... MY favorite three words are now:

OUT FOR DELIVERY

Another way to go is use an UPS and plug your CASIO power supply into it. A fully charged 1000va UPS at the low current draw of the keyboard will last all day! I did that once for a picnic with no power I also had a friend's Fishman solo for amplification LINK plugged in to it. It worked for hours, though the one I had was considerably larger than 1000va and the volume wasn't maxed out.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

UPS came carly!

Been playing for about 20 minutes...

Very impressed thus far!

Still learning the interface and

functions, but I did make a recording

and save it to USB (one of the big reasons

I bought).... very simple to do.

I will be back later after spending a

few hours delving in with more info.

Archived