Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

autorpm

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the "embarassed" emoticon? You, unlike me and many others here, haven't written anything yet to be embarassed about!

But welcome, friend. Can't wait to read any contributions or comments.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I am 47 years old and just started playing the electric guitar when i turned 40. I wish I had learned when I was young. My main Axe is a Peavey exp. limited and i run that through a 200w Crate stereo head into a 4x12.

I am also a huge Jimi Hendrix fan and have an entire room in my home dedicated to him . Trying to self teach but feel like not going anyware sometimes.

P.S how do you use your own photo instead of the avatar given

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Jimi Hendrix

It's been so long I have forgot the photo/avatar method I used, but hopefully Astring will see your post and give you directions or some of the avid avatar dudes will chime in. All I remember is taking a picture and opening an account on photobucket. Size the picture you want to use as the avatar to less than 140x140 pixels, then under your profile post the link from photobucket on the URL space and that's about it...hope this is helpful but I'm 63 and have senior moments...you're still a young 47 and have plenty of time to learn new stuff. Don't be afraid of traning DVD's and/or taking lessons. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

how do you use your own photo instead of the avatar given

-Click on the little arrow next to the words "My Stuff" at the top of the screen.

-From the drop down menu, select "Profile".

-Scroll down to the box that says "Select the radio button next to the option you are using to change your image."

-Click on the radio button (the round one) that says "URL to your avatar (Your image must be smaller than 140x140 pixels; .gif, .jpg, .png accepted)".

-Paste the URL for your avatar image into the box.

-Click on the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page.

----------

For the image, I'd recommend using a site like photobucket.com . Upload your image (make sure it is no larger than 140x140) and then copy and paste the URL into the box that I mentioned, earlier.

If you have any issues, feel free to ask here, or you can PM me if you require more in depth assistance.

Welcome to the forum!

Lessons, find teacher, lessons!!! Best advice I can pass on brother, same advice I was given when I started playing again after a 23 year void. Wonder where I got that advice....oh yeah, it was from the great folks on this forum, go figure!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Lessons, find teacher, lessons!!! Best advice I can pass on brother, same advice I was given when I started playing again after a 23 year void. Wonder where I got that advice....oh yeah, it was from the great folks on this forum, go figure!

+1!!! But not just any teacher. IMHO It is absolutely imperative that you find a teacher who plays and teaches the musical genre you want to learn I started playing before you were born (1964) and have studied with 4 very good teachers, all of whom were expert in the music I was interested in playing at the time (one for basic technique, one for Blues and two for Jazz). This is the best advice I can offer. Keep us posted on your progress. All of the members here will be more than happy to help in any way possible. GOOD LUCK!

If you play cool, you are cool.

Greetings from the eastern suburbs.

Well broadly speaking, there`s education and talent-probably `be born talented` is a little after the fact-next best advice is, get musically edjacated :D

I do think the advice about finding the right teacher is good-but I did not follow that path and I would say, if you have a solid direction musically, you are totally in love with (X) music and that`s where you want to go, then absolutely find a teacher who is as passionate about it as you are. If that is not where you are at then frankly, I`d say avoid teachers who tell you `this is how to play guitar`. Um...no. Your goal should be to learn MUSIC. To be a musician. Choose the most literate teachers you can find, ideally someone who has worked in an orchestra

pit, who knows multiple instruments.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Greetings from the eastern suburbs.

Well broadly speaking, there`s education and talent-probably `be born talented` is a little after the fact-next best advice is, get musically edjacated :D

I do think the advice about finding the right teacher is good-but I did not follow that path and I would say, if you have a solid direction musically, you are totally in love with (X) music and that`s where you want to go, then absolutely find a teacher who is as passionate about it as you are. If that is not where you are at then frankly, I`d say avoid teachers who tell you `this is how to play guitar`. Um...no. Your goal should be to learn MUSIC. To be a musician. Choose the most literate teachers you can find, ideally someone who has worked in an orchestra

pit, who knows multiple instruments.

Well said, Skip. A valid and viable point of view.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Archived