Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

* WARNING* Another Guitar Price Rant!

02R96

Even better will be the guys who discover the low cost Squires and Epiphones in a closet or under a bed, never played 50 years from now. Someone will buy it for thousands I am sure , its 50 years old it must be good.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1968 ...

Gasoline was $0.34 per gallon

The average cost of a NEW house was $14,950.00

Average cost of a new car $2,822.00

US Hourly minimum wage $1.60 per hour

The inflation multiplier is looking pretty low on that Les Paul. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'll throw another at y'all:

In 1967, a 1 carat D grade flawless brilliant cut diamond was $1000.00.

1 ton of the semiprecious stone value chalcedony was $1000.00.

By the mid-1990s, that diamond was worth $16,000...and the blue chalcedony was $1,000,000.00.

Remember, kiddies, that while economics says that price is determined by the intersection of the supply curve and the demand curve, only the supply curve is determined predominantly by real world, rational, calculable factors.

Demand is determined largely by the chaos of human psychology.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

In 1968 ...

Gasoline was $0.34 per gallon

The average cost of a NEW house was $14,950.00

Average cost of a new car $2,822.00

US Hourly minimum wage $1.60 per hour

The inflation multiplier is looking pretty low on that Les Paul. :D

yep

Well IMO the vintage thing is a bit separate. A lot of vintage guitars are not sold by the people who made them. It`s not their work that went into it. When someone is charging a lot for something new, that was made by them or their company, there is more of a `Yeah? another guitar BFD-what`s up with that price` thing.

But having said that, one way to look at it is, that even if you have no interest in dropping that kind of cash on a guitar, there should be guitars out there like that simply by virtue of the guitar being a serious instrument- especially electrics. Whatever else the guitar is to me, it is not a toy. I am not at all impressed by people who think beating up a guitar is cool. To me it expresses where I`m at as a person. I regard anything that allows me to do that as something to be taken seriously. The music business and everything around it, that`s another matter. But someone who puts their heart and soul into their playing should be able to spend as much cash as they want and get a cost no object, ultimate axe-from someone who takes it as seriously as they do.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Looks like a dud if no one has wanted to play it much over the last 50 years

;)

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

If that dude gets that price for the LP, it might cause others to start wrapping their new guitars in plastic and burying them like some did with Deloreans.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Even better will be the guys who discover the low cost Squires and Epiphones in a closet or under a bed, never played 50 years from now. Someone will buy it for thousands I am sure , its 50 years old it must be good.

Lok

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-legendary-guitars_4.html

Reminds me of Billy Gibbons finding his 59 Suburst LP under an old ranchers' bed story... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived