Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

whitenoise

Just to be clear about my personal and subjective views about key beds. There should be a depth and some inertia so you have more control of how you play and the bigger keys the better. The VR-09 keys have a very shallow depth and are very soft and have below average sized keys. But then again all this is subjective. Some like this kind of configuration.

I would use my iPhone as a backup... Just dial up the Mellotron ap and go!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If you already have 2 keyboards at a gig, you already have a backup instrument.....the other keyboard. I'm not referring to that.

I'm referring to keyboardists claiming to bring one keyboard in total to paid gigs. When it goes down, then what?

Like I said... After 40 years of paid gigs... Not one keyboard or amp failure... Guess I was lucky... or purchased quality equipment.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm referring to keyboardists claiming to bring one keyboard in total to paid gigs. When it goes down, then what?

Same thing that happens if the guitarist's amp goes out -- or the bass amp, or the kick drum pedal, or the PA, or... you get the idea.

Workarounds for all of those issues, and simple preplanning makes it smoother.....par for the course. But no workaround for a dead keyboard with no other keyboard around.

I was at a jam last week where the house guitar player's amp stopped working -- reason was that he had earlier tried to fix the input jack and had done a lousy soldering job.

Basically if you maintain your equipment and fix problems early, quality products work and work. Excluding unexpected disasters.

PS: Quick solution for a backup, jump into the IK Multimedia iRig Magnum Buy deal, three days left. Get iRig, put it into your car or backpack and use your iPhone/iPad in case your single unit collapses.

it looks from the ipad editor that its possible for each tone to edit all 3 partitials and instead of standard wave shapes, to add pcms. that would be 3 pcms per sound, and if layered 6 pcms per sound. does anyone know how practical it is setting that up and contorlling it live. is it like really having 6 layered voices under control? do they all express nicely together?

If you already have 2 keyboards at a gig, you already have a backup instrument.....the other keyboard. I'm not referring to that.

Like I said... After 40 years of paid gigs... Not one keyboard or amp failure... Guess I was lucky... or purchased quality equipment.

I agree. I've played paid gigs 27 yrs and also fortunately never had a keyboard die at any of them (but still always had simple backup plans for most all scenarios). And yes, the quality of the equipment was probably a factor.

So... how the pedal assigning situation is going, any news?
no updates as far as I am aware.. It's been reported to Roland. You can probably work around it using the midi solutions pedal controller.. I may get one myself.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

If drawbar organ is important you will probably prefer the Kronos over the jupiter because it has the cx3 engine (which is/was a hammond clone).

hey craig. im considering maybe going for the vr09 and another synth together, so that i could have the light vr09 for practices, and pair it with another synth when needed.

if i do this, than i wont need the other synth to have drawbars,since the vr09 is taking care of that. any idea than which one works best in hand with the vr09?

for me the most important for the second board is flexibility in setting up live situations which can easily be controlled on board live, good pads, nice piano.i dont care about recording or sequencing with daw. (61 or 73 unweighted keys) i want to keep low on the weight if possible. any ideas?

These days, 2 low end synths can give you a lot of sonic power.. If you're first synth is going to be a Roland VR-09, you will have drawbar organ, a roland Jupiter style analog synth, and most of the great roland piano/EP/Clav samples.. SO I would probably look at another manufacturer so that you have complementary sounds and a different synth engine. This can make a noticable difference when you're playing two parts at once. For example a Motif acoustic piano combined with Roland strings will probably give you a sound that is more "present" the two parts will be more distinguisable coming from separate synths, rather than having AP and strings coming from the same type of synth engine.

If you're adding a second synth I would seriously consider adding a 73/88 note weighted action keyboard, and I would make it a workstation so that you get the 16 part multi-timbral capability (for extensive split/layers). The 73 key version of the Krom will only add 2 extra pounds and give you a better playing experience for a number of reasons.

There are a number of options to consider, Korg Krome, Kurzweil, Yamaha MOX/MX series, but I don't think there is any question in my mind... I would choose the Korg Krome, and in your case I would seriously consider the 73 key version. It's semi-weighted so it's arguably better for playing Acoustic piano/EP's and the fact that it's not fully weighted action will make it significantly less weight than the 88 not version. That said, I think some forum members have expressed dissatisfaction with the feel of the Krome, so you should probably check this out first hand.

The Krome has a very slick interface.. large colour touch display, and 40 buttons... compare this to a Yamaha MOX workstation that has a small LCD display and over 90 buttons, and I'll take the Krome interface every time.. (however, others might prefer more dedicated buttons).

Again I would go with the Krome, you should also consider the Yamaha MOX6 or MX61 as well. Any of these will probably complement the VR-09 nicely. I do think that either the Yamaha Motif sounds OR the Korg sounds would nicely complement a VR-09. Others may have different opinions, and hopefully they will share them.. Hope this helps.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I plan on using it above my Korg SV-73, weighted action yet still quite light! Using the Korg bag its easy to haul.

Other options depend on what kind of music you pay.

If you play a lot of synth stuff you might checkout the King Korg though the name is a joke, it actually sounds very very good. The interface has no menu diving everything is right there to to get the sounds your looking for. And some of the patches remind me a lot of the virus. It also has the Korg PCM sounds, pretty much all the bases are covered. I didn't think I would like it until I tried it, nice little board.

Another 88 key light weight option is the Casio PX-5S.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I would go with the Krome, you should also consider the Yamaha MOX6 or MX61 as well.

I would lean toward the MOX over the MX in part because it's much better as a MIDI controller, which could also complement/enhance the functionality of the VR-09.

Another 88 key light weight option is the Casio PX-5S.

That would probably be my first choice. But if you really wanted to stay super lighweight, you could also consider the NumaCompact, 14 lbs, and still improves on the piano functionality of the rig.

you might checkout the King Korg

Another interesting choice to complement the VR.

Along the same synthier lines, although not offering piano or 61+ keys, I think a Waldorf Blofeld would be an interesting VR-09 complement, offering aftertouch and sample RAM. Not exactly what you described looking for, simchaleh, but fills in some VR-09 "gaps" in other ways.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I agree that the Casio Casio PX-5S is a good option if you want 88 note weighted action.. 24 pounds compared to >30 for the Krome, or the MOX8.. is it actually available yet.. I see references to "pre-order" on some websites..?

One last point, weight isn't everything... sometimes it's about your "footprint" on stage, and you may find that you simply DON'T have room for an 88 note keyboard, so think this through. That was one of the reasons I suggested the Krome 73 key which is 47 inches vs an 88 note keyboard that is likely well over 50" wide.

Regarding the SV1-73, it's a great keyboard AND if you're looking for that "live experience" meaning that you can easily edit effects on the fly, you get that with the SV-1, it's got a great interface.. In some repects it's a great complementary board for the VR-09, and perfect if you want drawbar organ + AP/EP's on a weighted action keyboard. That said you do get a little extra weight, it's almost 40 pounds, and you don't get a multi-timbral workstation capability, so there are some plus/minus with this combination.

Nice that you're getting some other ideas.. ! Go try some of these boards and see what turns your crank!!

Craig MacDonald

I'm considering the VR-09 to go with PX-5S for a lightweight rig.

I've had the PX-5S little over week now. I'm enjoying it as much or more than I did my SV1. The acoustic pianos are MUCH better as is the action. I actually like the pianos better than my Kronos as they are much more acoustic as not as digital as the Korg. There are new EP's coming out for in a couple of weeks that I've been privileged to hear some of them and they are VERY good.

The 24 lbs that it weighs is a major bonus because I would seriously buying this board if it weighed the same as a SV1 on the action and AP's alone.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

I agree. I've played paid gigs 27 yrs and also fortunately never had a keyboard die at any of them (but still always had simple backup plans for most all scenarios). And yes, the quality of the equipment was probably a factor.

I've used "quality" equipment since I bought a brand new Model D and Arp Omni II. Over the years I've had keyboards go down a power amp go out. Maybe that is why I never consider playing a job with only a single keyboard. Call me obsessive. Some people are the opposite. I was on stage with a bass player whose battery gave out in his active bass. It never had a bypass and he did not have a spare battery. Luckily the guitarist was able to rob a battery from one of his effects.

I never had to lug my equipment onto a subway. That made it easier to take more than one keyboard to jobs.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've had the PX-5S little over week now. I'm enjoying it as much or more than I did my SV1. The acoustic pianos are MUCH better as is the action. I actually like the pianos better than my Kronos as they are much more acoustic as not as digital as the Korg. There are new EP's coming out for in a couple of weeks that I've been privileged to hear some of them and they are VERY good.

The 24 lbs that it weighs is a major bonus because I would seriously buying this board if it weighed the same as a SV1 on the action and AP's alone.

Needmorebass, I think that the VR-09 and the Casio could be a killer $2000 rig, but I was wondering about the Multi-timbral capabilties.. is it truly 16 part multi-timbral, and how many splits/layers can it handle..? I was under the impression that it wasn't 16 part but I could be completely mistaken (perhaps I need to go read the other thread on this).. I really thought that the OP would benefit from having a true "workstation" in his rig and I wasn't sure that the Casio was that...

However, 24 pound great sounding 88 note piano/controller plus a 12 pound drawbar organ... killer for sure!

Craig MacDonald

Craig, let us know how the MIDI pedal solution goes...

And the VR-09 with a RD-64 on a wooden cabinet would be great...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

If you like the PX-5S key bed you will not like the VR-09 one. Check one out at a store before a possible order.

wow, thnks so much everyone for all the replies.

great ideas. its very important for me and the style of music i work with to have a multitimbral flexible synth paired with the vr09. and i dont at all need the 88 keys for gigs. i have my yamaha s80 for at home when i need that. is the krome actually flexible and powerfull? i thought of it kind of as a cheap beginners workstation. i was afraid that i would run into alot of limitations working with it vs a more powerfull workstation. maybe im wrong? as i said, i have no need for built in recorders and bells and whistles on the more expensive workstations. but i do want the good quality flexibility and deep synth and multitimbral potential in the synth. the problem is that its very hard where im located to find music stores that carry any of these synths.

In that case you might try Yamaha MX-61

It has full 16 channel multitimbrality, 1000+ MOTIF sounds as well as DAW integration if needed. It lacks the sequencer and other bells & whistles of the higher end workstation. And at $799 USD it won't sink your pocketbook.

I've had the PX-5S little over week now. I'm enjoying it as much or more than I did my SV1. The acoustic pianos are MUCH better as is the action. I actually like the pianos better than my Kronos as they are much more acoustic as not as digital as the Korg.

Interesting. I am not a big fan of the Kronos acoustic pianos, but I did like them better than the previous generation Casio (i.e. PX3/PX330).

There are new EP's coming out for in a couple of weeks that I've been privileged to hear some of them and they are VERY good..

I'd be curious to see how you think they compare to the EPs on the SV1 (or Kronos, for that matter).

I think that the VR-09 and the Casio could be a killer $2000 rig, but I was wondering about the Multi-timbral capabilties.. is it truly 16 part multi-timbral, and how many splits/layers can it handle..? I was under the impression that it wasn't 16 part but I could be completely mistaken (perhaps I need to go read the other thread on this).. I really thought that the OP would benefit from having a true "workstation" in his rig and I wasn't sure that the Casio was that...

The Casio is 16 part multi-timbral over MIDI (though I don't know how essential that is in a gig rig). From its own keybed, I believe it's 4 part in terms of splits/layers, where each part can be an internal sound, an external sound, or both.

If you like the PX-5S key bed you will not like the VR-09 one.

Not possible to like PX-5S for pianos and VR-09 for synth/organ?

its very important for me and the style of music i work with to have a multitimbral flexible synth paired with the vr09.

Multi can mean anything from 2 to 16. So to narrow things down, you may also want to consider exactly how many simultaneous sounds you need to be able to have, and also, how many need to be accessible from the keyboard(s) versus perhaps neing used to play a sequence/MIDI file.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just my opinion but the weighted key system on PX-5S is extremely good. Going to a VR-09 with a short range and narrower keys is, eh, interesting. But it depends per player. Best to try things out. I thought my Yamaha KX61 cheap midi controller was not good until I tried a VR-09 :-).

i wasnt saying that the krome isnt good. i was just asking. i had the same question about the yamaha mx61. since theyre both so cheap it made me worried that maybe theyre not proffesional quality.they both seem quite similiar in quality. i actually just watched a long demo on the krome. it doesnt look limiting and it looks really nice and flexible. the yamaha looks to me like they put too much focus and energy on the daw interface and thats not at all what im looking for. as far as the krome its a bummer that it has so few knobs for control, but i guess the touch screen is supposed to make up for that. the casio psx5 looks intresting also. so many options.

it kinda brings me back to the first question,is it a waste buying a cheap workstation together with the roland vr09 instead of just getting a kronos which can really do all of these things in one package? or is something like the krome and the vr09 a versatile combo thats not considered cheapy and lacking. thnks everyone for all your input. i guess i have no choice but to find some place that i can try them out somehow.

Isn't the Krome 73 un-weighted? Like the 61?

I think he krone is "semi-weighted" like the Kronos, which may account for the reason why some don't like it. I haven't played the krome keyboard, but if its like the Kronos semi-weighted keyboard it's a nice compromise between weighted and not weighted. It's heavy enough that its a better playing experience or piano players but not stiff enough that you can't play fast organ passages. From my perspective it's good you just have to spend some time to get used to it.

Craig MacDonald

Kronos 61 uses the high end semi-weighted keybed from the M3. I believe that the Krome 61/73 uses a lower end keybed. Possibly something similar (or identical) to the PS60 or M50?

You know I find it really stupid to have 2 similar semi-weighted actions across their product lines. Since the keyboard market isn't huge to begin with you, lose any advantage there is to mass producing them to hold the costs down. This constant changing of key actions to cheaper actions is getting ridiculous. If your not improving the keys why change them?