Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

whitenoise

CTRLR EDITOR hotfix v1.12.19 : 'GM2 volumes'

this little hotfix is only relevant to those (if there are any ...  ) that use 'GM2-engine' mode in panel SOUND-GM2:
Fixes erratic behaviour of the 'channel volume' settings.

n.b. the release also adds 'hidden' pitch bend range of +/-15 halftones in kbd config (VR factory is 12 halftones )

direct download : https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0 

v-combo website :  https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/editor-vr09-730

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

CTRLR EDITOR v1.12.20: bugfix & feature release

This bugfix/feature release fixes important bugs in V-SYNTH/VSSD and STAGE-RHYTHM and adds some new features:

• V-SYNTH/VSSD: added 'Cutoff Aftertouch Sens' and 'Level Aftertouch Sens' in FILTER/AMP section and 'Mouse-button/Wheel scrolling' buttons to PCM-Wave select box. Fixed fixed disfunctional pcm wave select box in V-SYNTH
  • STAGE 'Rhythm' : added PAN, fixed disfunctional drumkit selector box, consolidated drumkit list
  • ATELIER DRUM (kit): corrected false drum-kit list
  • minor bugfixes

Handling improvement for those who use V-SYNTH/VSSD 'pcm-waves' : the new little 'mouse scroll' buttons at right hand of each pcm-wave selector box allow to scroll very fast through the pcm-waves by mouse-click or mouse-wheel

direct download : https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0 
v-combo website :  https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/editor-vr09-730

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Aside from the volume pedal issue I have to admit this terrible feeling VR-09 gets called upon to get the job done. It has the immediate control and 95% of the sounds at 12lbs.

I take my VR-09 to play out a lot. That's in spite of its shortcomings and even though I have lots of other options.

I even most often select it instead of my Nord Electro or Yamaha YC61 if I'm taking only 1 keyboard and organ is important.

Big benefits to me.

The organ is better than my Nord Electro or my Yamaha YC61 (in 1 of my bands, the songs are 70% organ).

- Well maybe that's mostly about the superior Leslie emulation.

Simple hands-on immediacy.

Music rest (a bit difficult to get?) to hold iPad, no music stand needed.

It's only 12 pounds.

Compromises that don't really bother me:

Passable piano for an occasional song - would be better if it wasn't for the key action.

Usable electric pianos.

Usable synth section, even if a little limited. Very limited compared to my FA-06 (also a winner because it's also only 12 pounds).

Things I dislike but put up with:

Key action below par. Clearly a budget choice.

Registration system sucks, only 16 programs quickly accessible.

A CK61 might be a better choice on a budget these days, if you don't mind the lesser organ.

• Like 4

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

I would agree on the CK being a modern day VR replacement, but it’s still around twice as much as you can get a VR for around these parts. I really liked my VR and using the iPad editor really opened up the synths.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

6 hours ago, SynMike said:

Music rest (a bit difficult to get?) to hold iPad, no music stand needed.

I never used to care about music stands, but now I find them really useful for tablets. Since "piano-oriented" boards are more likely to have them, I now sometimes reverse my "top" and "bottom" boards so I can use the stand.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 11/19/2023 at 2:38 AM, stoken6 said:

What is the volume pedal issue?

Cheers, Mike.

Use Baggypants link he posted but essentially this one should/could have been avoided with the VRs (but...this is new Roland).
I don't know if it's laziness, mismanagement. idiocy or all three but having users mod expression pedals for such basic functionality is utterly ridiculous.
At least mods alleviate which is cool....but, yeah not a good look.

• 6 months later...

'hidden VR Rhythms':  VR magic continues: we found ca. 600 'VR builtin Rhythms' : ca. 550 'hidden' + 52 factory rhythms
The 'hidden rhythms can only be set indirectly via registration upg-files:

1) with the new editor releae v1.12.21 (see next post)

2)  we prepared a package of 7 upg files with all rhythms, file 'VR_Rhythms.zip': 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EHjr8ReA6679Hxgjnh7w_yQXw9MeCOdJ?usp=drive_link

• Like 3

CTRLR EDITOR v1.12.21: major release

we recommend upgrading to this release as it contains many bugfixes (like improved synchronisation of editor SYNTH faders to voices), improved handling in 'REGISTRATION UPG ORGANISER' (former UPG-Editor) etc.
--
It has also new features:

• unveiled 'hidden VR-Rhythms': ca. 600 inbuild VR Rhythms which can be set in REG/UPG Organiser to UPG-files (to be loaded into VR registrations)
  • GM-sound 'Direct Load' (for those who use EDITOR live): a simplified 'MidiMapper' method to load GM/GS/SC sounds into VR
  • V-Piano enhancements
  • a handful of new (GM) sounds, including the last 5 missing 'VR730 exclusive' sounds now available also in VR09

https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/editor-vr09-730

direct download:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0?usp=drive_link

• Like 2

What a quirky little machine Roland made here. Still gigging mine…11 years now of grueling weekend warrior gigs at dirty biker bars, pool parties, lakeside gatherings and dusty festivals. It’s played outside in 114 degree F sunshine and weathered several rainy day shows, even got snowed on a couple of times. What a freaking work horse. Definitely got my money’s worth. 

And franky64 keeps finding more and more hidden gems in the thing. Good gawd man, you are amazing! 

Now I have been shopping for a replacement the last few years as my VR09 is simply starting to show small signs of the abuse  I put it through and definitely need to be prepared for it to eventually fail. Got a few sticky keys right now and needs to be opened up and thoroughly cleaned, but buying a new toy is MUCH more fun, right?

I’ve got good backups with all of the iPad organs: Hammond B-3X, VB3ii, Blue3, and now KingB. Hammond still rules with the best rotary to my ears, and love the crunchy tone of VB3ii right out of the box, but the easy UI of Blue3 has been my go-to until Yonak came out with the amazing KingB. Fantastic UI that responds very well to the touch on the drawbars and has all of the right buttons and switches that are easy to see and manipulate right on the screen. Love how it can split the screen with rotary parameters on the bottom, and have recently been using the wonderful effects screen…wash-wah is my new passion at the moment…again, responds so well to the touchscreen. Integrates with the Numa Compact 2X and the MODX with incredible ease. 

However, that dern Roland is still first choice when it comes to live shows. One board gigs are a breeze with that little gremlin. I’ve even put guitar strap studs on the bottom of it for impromptu jams that pop up where there is no room or time for a stand. Can’t play it as well in that position, but still fun to strut around the stage with a wireless clonewheel over my shoulder. 

On 6/1/2024 at 6:06 PM, brenner13 said:

However, that dern Roland is still first choice when it comes to live shows. One board gigs are a breeze with that little gremlin. 

if there had not been the 'hidden features' it very probably would have had to go for a YC (adore the organ and much better AP than SK-pro).
But with the power of the 'hiddens' no clonewheel comes close to VR. What I appreciate most is that simplistic approach, no 'lost in menu diving', when one needs a sound on the fly. Once in the calm one can pull all registers of that multi-layer/zone stuff - 4-layer brass eventually combined with 'harmony intelligence' - uh, that's big. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CTRLR EDITOR v1.12.22: major HOTFIX

This major hotfix fixes a 'system error' that happens when saving/loading EDITOR patch registes and immediately disables the entire SOUND-KBD and V-SYNTH sections.

Installing v1.12.22 hotfix is highly recommended if you're running v1.12.21 

There are also some minor changes:

• 'mono-poly' and 'legato' switches in 'KLANG' menu (non savable to VR registrations)
  • 'sound DIALS': 'VR CURSOR style' up/down buttons are added to facilitate soundlists scrolling on TOUCH DISPLAYS
  • 'sound DIALS': the 'pin dial-screen' switch was moved between the up/down cursors

https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/editor-vr09-730

direct download:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0?usp=drive_link

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 1:23 AM, Mike Kent said:

The organ is better than my Nord Electro or my Yamaha YC61 (in 1 of my bands, the songs are 70% organ).

- Well maybe that's mostly about the superior Leslie emulation.

Really? I’ve been very close to nabbing a Yammie YC61 because I thought the organ was an upgrade from the Roland. The Yamaha pianos and EP’s are phenomenal from the YooToob vids I’ve seen, but you really prefer the Roland organ? 

I’ve tweaked the key click, leakage, and high/low gains to my liking and have found the Roland very nice to play 85% organ in both of my classic rock and blues bands. I love the tones most of the time, but perhaps I’ve let the VR haters get in my head. 

I’ve not been able to find a YC61 to try out locally so really only have this and couple other forums and YooToob to base my opinions on. ‘Spose I could buy used and not lose too much if it doesn’t work out, but interest free financing of the online stores sure make it tempting to get new.

BTW, for expression pedal issue…they’re about as rare as frog hair, but I took a risk on a rather expensive used Roland EV7 and it works perfectly! So much so, that I bought another one from Japan as a back up. The second one has a short in the min volume knob, but hopefully is an easy fix if I ever get around to opening the thing up. I just did a quick search and found one on eBay that is in Australia. Pretty expensive but worth it if you’re like me and don’t have a clue how to do the pedal mods that are described online. Smooth, full rage sweep and a nice, long throw with that EV7. It is a very large pedal, though…and plastic, but very sturdy. Please, somebody buy that Aussie one before my gluttonous ways get the better of me.😝

4 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Really? I’ve been very close to nabbing a Yammie YC61 because I thought the organ was an upgrade from the Roland. The Yamaha pianos and EP’s are phenomenal from the YooToob vids I’ve seen, but you really prefer the Roland organ? 

I’ve tweaked the key click, leakage, and high/low gains to my liking and have found the Roland very nice to play 85% organ in both of my classic rock and blues bands. I love the tones most of the time, but perhaps I’ve let the VR haters get in my head. 

I’ve not been able to find a YC61 to try out locally so really only have this and couple other forums and YooToob to base my opinions on. ‘Spose I could buy used and not lose too much if it doesn’t work out, but interest free financing of the online stores sure make it tempting to get new.

BTW, for expression pedal issue…they’re about as rare as frog hair, but I took a risk on a rather expensive used Roland EV7 and it works perfectly! So much so, that I bought another one from Japan as a back up. The second one has a short in the min volume knob, but hopefully is an easy fix if I ever get around to opening the thing up. I just did a quick search and found one on eBay that is in Australia. Pretty expensive but worth it if you’re like me and don’t have a clue how to do the pedal mods that are described online. Smooth, full rage sweep and a nice, long throw with that EV7. It is a very large pedal, though…and plastic, but very sturdy. Please, somebody buy that Aussie one before my gluttonous ways get the better of me.😝

Agreed, the VR09/730 organ is better than the Yamaha (and Nord), and many older clonewheels imo.

Nord and Yammy have a better ac piano, but the VR EPs, synths, and UI smoke either of them in real world usage. The choices at hand outweigh the others and combined with the swift realtime UI makes for a serious weapon for many.

VR always proves to be the better workhorse overall (and lighter weight too)

The volume pedal issue can at least be fixed via modding the volume pedal inline (resistors).

For this considering a YC, they are well built and sound great, but check the keyboard, especially if a used model.

I have had two, both developed the noisy keybed within warranty and needed regressing. They started to develop it again so it’s clearly a design issue. Great board otherwise, but so is the VR which can be had for as little as £250 here in the UK.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

13 hours ago, brenner13 said:

I just did a quick search and found one on eBay that is in Australia. Pretty expensive but worth it.

Please, somebody buy that Aussie one before my gluttonous ways get the better of me.

Hey mate.

You do know it will work backwards?

Well we are down under & everything is backwards. Everything. It's Bizzaro world.  

Hey dont look at me to buy it to stop you from your gas hee hee. Im selling my gear just to survive the world fiasco we live in. I cant eat a synth.

By the way the postage must be astronomical. Our postage is so high here I wont send anything overseas. 

Edit: just did a search and its available with a synth dealer on the Central Coast. He would know what its worth. He gets in a lot of Japanese synths and accessories.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Yammie YC

Roland EV7 

YC organ inferior: maybe those opinions are based on first firmware. FW 2.0 (and higher) radically changed YC organ, I'd consider it as one of the top authentic 'hammond clone' sounds (it has a wonderful amount of detail, the tube overdrive is just sweet, the upgraded rotary near perfect). Thus said, there's personal bias, some just  might love the 'Roland timbre'.

YC piano: typical Yamaha piano (very clear, a bit cold), it's largely superior to VR APs (that's not difficult...) but compared to Yamaha 'digitals' or 'top range' it has been speced down a little bit (e.g. only damper resonance, no 'string resonance', reduced decay length etc).

YC action: the 'clacky' keys issue is known. It's an intrinsic issue of those 'plastic hinged' actions (I know it from Casios and Yam PSRs with the same FSB action as YC): the older the action the more it becomes noisy and feels 'outworn'

Roland EV7: Until today we identified only one pedal that has the necessary 'VR pedal mod' right out of factory: the pedal from 'Doepfer' (full throttle reaches only 1/2 of potentiometer resistance):  this pedal is specific to Doepfer midi controllers and does not work correctly on other keyboard (apart from VR :))
From what I can see from the specs: EV7 has a 'standard full range 10k pot'. So it should work like any other 10k pedal (EV5, M-Audio etc). If it had the pot required for VR it would not work on any other keyboard, like Roland VK, old VRs etc (well it would work but full throttle would only push the key to  1/2 level). 

It would be nice if you could test EV7 by plugging a midi monitor to VR (usb-midi => laptop => MidiOx/DAW/etc): if CC11 reaches 127 at 'pedal mid position' and then stays constant, EV7 "does not work over the full travel range"
I know this from my Behringer FCV swell that also has a 10k pot: even without mod it feels 'ok' (despite effective pedal effect is limited to first half)  compared to mini-pedals like EV5 - but when the mod is added one notices the difference ;)

• Like 1

Ah…so just because of the ultra-long throw of the EV7 is why it feels so good and it probably actually maxes out at half way? My laptop has suffered death by black screen (third time after repairs), but might be able to midi up the VR to my iPad and see how the pedal works with B3X or VB3. However, it might have to wait for the next gig as my 09 is packed up in the back of the gig truck. Maybe I can snag it midweek for some quick testing.

Doepfer aye? Gonna check that one out.

Thanks!

most likely. Otherwise there should have been many complains about EV7 "only rising volume to 50%" 
But one never knows: VB-II 'latest edition' has a midi monitor ... 

"Doepfer FP 5" -  Doepfer says:  "Pay attention that not the full rotating angle of the potentiometer is covered but only about 50%. If the end terminals of the potentiometer are e.g. connected to GND and +5V only a voltange range 0...+2.5V is covered ! " 
That fits exactly VR "pedal input signal calibration" . The 'VR pedal mod' does the same effect
To note:
not a full swell  - it's between normal pedal and swell
it's said to be huge - for giant feet :)
TRS must be "inverted" (T to R / R to T). The plug can be opened and cables resoldered
in US: e.g. 'Noisebug' CA, 99 usd

P.S. what's the heck about the 'pedal mod'? If one ever has soldered a TS jack, one should be capable of doing this simple mod. 

22 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Agreed, the VR09/730 organ is better than the Yamaha (and Nord), and many older clonewheels imo.

Nord and Yammy have a better ac piano, but the VR EPs, synths, and UI smoke either of them

4 hours ago, franky64 said:

YC organ inferior: maybe those opinions are based on first firmware.

YC piano: typical Yamaha piano (very clear, a bit cold), it's largely superior to VR APs

YC action: the 'clacky' keys issue is known. It's an intrinsic issue of those 'plastic hinged' actions (I know it from Casios and Yam PSRs with the same FSB action as YC): the older the action the more it becomes noisy and feels 'outworn'

There's always subjectivity to sounds, but yeah, to me, the YC61 organ is noticeably better than VR09 (but I think I'd take VR09 organ over their CK). Yamaha pianos and EPs also beat VR09's IMO (whether talking YC or CK). VR has the advantage in VA synth. None of these 61 actions are ideal for piano, but I'd rank them YC, CK, VR. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

47 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

take VR09 organ over their CK

jaja, CK is not bad as long as one uses standard 8880.... from the moment higher harmonics are added, it starts 'emitting the sine waves', sounding like a Casio XW :D Quite artificial. It's fine for accompaniment of a couple of rock songs, for Hammond focused players it's ... not a choice.
BTW, VR has some nice EPs in its GM2 section (there are at least 40 GM EP patches), like most on VR not superhighly detailed (the ol' Roland Sound Canvas pcms), but a good 'vintage-centric' complement to the factory EPs, including an authentic gizmo-free Wurlitzer, a few classics, Supertramp 'logical', Jarreaus EP, ...

Happy to see the VR09 love is still strong - been very happy with mine - not perfect, but so much bang in a small package. One of the best band-for-the buck instrument purchases I've made, at least for gigging live.

Mostly using it for organ sounds (Hammond and the built-in Combo organ) and an RD64 for piano/electric piano.

Band is bluesy-early sixties stuff, lot of more obscure cool "B sides" (99 lbs/Ann Peebles; Just a Down Home Girl/Alvin Robinson, Soncis tunes, etc).  Also have a sax and trombone player, which adds to the fun.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time comparing and tweaking the VR09 vs. my other organ units:  a Ventilator (1st gen), a Mojo Desktop, a Yamaha YC reface.

Basically (IMHO) the VR09 probably has the "best" overall characteristics for gigging, given its small size and ease-of-use (and bulletproof nature, as Brennan pointed out above).

Obviously, the Mojo sounds the best, except for its fast Leslie setting.  The Ventilator helps the fast Leslie, but frankly I like the slow Leslie on the Mojo better than the Vent.

Yamaha YC reface is cool, but the fast leslie is really bad on that.

After tweaking the VR09 and comparing to the above, I've stopped  bringing the Ventilator to gigs, not worth the extra hassle (although the Fast Leslie on the Ventilator still rules all).

I think the key to getting the VR09 Organ to sound more authentic is to turn the Organ volume slide bar no higher than ~ 4, that way you can dial in some distortion.  And use the newer "Type 3" Leslie.

Here are some settings that are pretty usable for an "authentic" old poorly-maintained Hammond sound (at least to my ears).

Rock Organ/4 lowest sliders out.  Organ mast volume = 4.

Organ Setting:

leakage level = 14

On click level = 17

Off click level=10

Low Gain = -10

High Gain = -8

Leslie Settings:

Rotary:

Type = 3

Wf Rise Time = 55

Tw Rise time = 79

Wf fall time = 55

Tw fall time = 79

Wf slow speed =  9

Tw slow speed = 6

Wf fast speed = 61

Tw fast speed = 76

Knobs:

Overdrive ~ 1 oclock

Tone ~ 3 oclock

Compressor ~ 2 oclock

Reverb: Plate

Wall Type:  Drapery

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2024 at 10:03 PM, franky64 said:

website has been updated

I don't know if this is related to the changes you made, but I hadn't been able to get onto your site for quite a while, and now I can again. 🙂

In terms of your pros and cons, I think it's a pretty fair assessment, though with some adjustment, I think the overdrive doesn't have to be as bad as you make it sound, e.g. see https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/147150-roland-v-combo-vr-09/page/117/#comment-2902568 .

OTOH, another con to me is that, unlike many (most?) clones, there is no button to make the organ sound reflect the current position of the drawbars. So if you're someone who likes to tweak the drawbars as you play, every slider must be manually moved into position every time, if you want to avoid undesirable results when moving the drawbars. (I don't remember off-hand whether VR-09 drawbars values operate as "catch" or "jump" when the sliders are moved, but neither is desirable for this purpose.) Referenced for example at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/147150-roland-v-combo-vr-09/page/105/#comment-2607906 . Related, if you do manually move your drawbars into a position for a particular sound, then call up a different registration for a different part of the song, there's no quick way to get back the organ sound you had just been playing (since, again, there is no button to make the organ sound reflect the current position of the drawbars, which could have brought you back to the sound of how you'd last left them). 

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay…a second bout with COVID took me out of commission for a couple of weeks. Finally got hands on my rig again at yesterday’s gig and took about 30 seconds to check the Roland EV7 through the VR09 controlling Yonak’s KingB and can attest that the sweep range of the swell pedal is nearly complete. There are just the slightest areas of dead spots at both the very bottom and the very top of the throw. No scientific measurements or anything, but probably less than 10% on either end. I forgot to verify, but pretty sure I’m using slope #3 on the VR09’s internal expression pedal parameter. 

As mentioned before, the EV7’s seem to be very rare, but really makes for some very satisfying dynamic swell control. 

I have another post going regarding the VR760. ........anyway someone over there mentioned that there has been a firmware update to the chorus vibrato section of the VR09.. The original version did not separate vibrato from the percussion.Someone said they fixed this.....and I would like to hear one that has been fixed.....though I suppose you would have to find one that has been updated .The 760 I just got got has phenomenal chorus vibrato and Leslie sim.....I don't ever recall hearing them this good on the VK8. How similar might the VR09 be to the VR760? If it's anywhere close It could be worthy of consideration

6 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

someone over there mentioned that there has been a firmware update to the chorus vibrato section of the VR09.. The original version did not separate vibrato from the percussion.Someone said they fixed this.....and I would like to hear one that has been fixed.....though I suppose you would have to find one that has been updated

The update came out in the Fall of 2017, almost immediately upon the release of the VR-09B and VR-730. I think probably any demo of those two later models already has the fix, if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

CTRLR EDITOR v1.12.23: major HOTFIX release

This major hotfix fixes a fatal programming gaffe in V-SYNTH that 'messed up' the entire data setting of 'partial' controllers (faders, pots etc).

The bug is in editor since release v1.12.20
Installing the hotfix is mandatory for all who want or wanted to use V-SYNTH (and were wondering what was going on)
The bug did not affect VSSD, only the 'compact' synth-editor
The author begs for pardon for this mistake

minor tasks:  some revisioned 'Info' help windows, e.g. for the use of 'V-Piano' as a 'live tool'

Direct download: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0

• Like 1