Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: RIP Stan "the man" Musial

J. Dan

Story

St. Louis lost a great man today.

Fitting that the Blues won 6-0 tonight in honor of #6.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it on ESPN last night in the restaurant I was gigging in. They just flashed his picture on the screen and knowing his recent declining health, I figured he had passed. :(

Actually I was at his last game in Sept of '63. I was 10 and my father took me to original Busch Stadium (Sportsman's Park) there on Grand & Dodier. We sat in the bleachers I remember. He singled past rookie Pete Rose which was so ironic as Bob Costas points out in the video.

Musial was the NL all time leader in hits for many years until Rose ended up passing him. A good video on his last at bat. It wasn't as dramatic as Ted Williams homering in his last bat but for St. Louis fans, just as meaningful. In St. Louis when I was growing up, Musial was as popular as the Pope, JFK and the Beatles put together .

Btw the announcer on the video is Harry Caray who most knew as the Cubs announcer. But when I was growing up in the '60s, it was Caray and Jack Buck doing the color.

[video:youtube]

Sad day for all Cardinal and baseball fans everywhere. RIP Stan The Man !

He was the 1st baseball player I ever heard of.

I grew up in St.Louis in the late 50s - 60s. Stan "The Man" was a legend - all my teenage babysitters had a crush on him, even though he was in his late 30s/early 40s. I was fortunate enough to see him play. Even after retirement, he did a lot for the community, and was a role-model to kids even years later.

Baseball has lost a true great.

Of course, local news has been covering this story extensively, and I learned a few interesting things. He met 14 presidents and the Pope. His wife passed 8 months ago at 6pm (he was #6), and he passed at 5:45.... He always said, if you aren't 15 min early, you're late.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived