Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gentle Giant - Free Hand, Live 1978

Ekewaka

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure we had a Gentle Giant thread going for a while here.

that performance as well as several other classics were posted.

Gentle Giant were awesome, I'm proud to say I've been listening to them since the late 80s when my older brother discovered "So Sincere". Several KC members were listening to them when they were 'popular'.

Great band.

Ray Shulman later went on to take a big part in ruining pop/rock music (Bon Jovi, etc).

Funny that you mention this band and this song in particular, because at this very moment I'm in rehearsals practicing this tune with a band (Downing Grey) that I joined on this forum a just few months ago. I think we did a pretty good job of it.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Several KC members were listening to them when they were 'popular'.

Count me among that group. Saw them in '75 (I think) in Philly opening for Rick Wakeman. Wakeman should've gone back to the hotel after the Gentle Giant set. Nothing against Rick, but that was one of the most amazing live performances I've ever seen.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Count me among that group. Saw them in '75 (I think) in Philly opening for Rick Wakeman. Wakeman should've gone back to the hotel after the Gentle Giant set. Nothing against Rick, but that was one of the most amazing live performances I've ever seen.

Yes, it was '75.

An amazing show, to be sure. Never fails to crack me up that you and I were both there... :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yes, it was '75.

An amazing show, to be sure. Never fails to crack me up that you and I were both there... :cool:

dB

Around that same time, maybe a couple of years before, I saw GG open for Jethro Tull. I had never heard of them before that, and was just stunned. Tull was great too, but . . .

I'm pretty sure I started at least one or two of those old Gentle Giant threads. They're my favorite band!

It's funny. Just a week ago, I was thinking to myself that it had been awhile since we had any GG discussion. Good to see this thread pop up. :thu:

I saw them open for Renaissance and then by themselves. If I recall correctly, they were touring The Power and the Glory and then Free Handwhich for my money are their two best albums.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm pretty sure I started at least one or two of those old Gentle Giant threads. They're my favorite band!

It's funny. Just a week ago, I was thinking to myself that it had been awhile since we had any GG discussion. Good to see this thread pop up. :thu:

I saw them open for Renaissance and then by themselves. If I recall correctly, they were touring The Power and the Glory and then Free Handwhich for my money are their two best albums.

Best,

Geoff

Both excellent albums. I really liked Octopus, Three Friends and Aquiring the Taste as well.

Personally, my small curse was that I got Three Friends as my first Gentle Giant album, it's an OK album but nothing compared with the other albums they released before and after so I was somewhat neutral about GG for a while in the seventies.

Personally, my small curse was that I got Three Friends as my first Gentle Giant album, it's an OK album but nothing compared with the other albums they released before and after so I was somewhat neutral about GG for a while in the seventies.

My first was Octopus, so I was lucky there! My favorite was In a Glass House, though I seem to remember reading that that is the least favorite of at least some band member. (Or at least, of that era.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Free Hand was my first GG album as well, probably got it in 1978 or so. They immediately became my favorite band, and I pretty quickly tracked down the rest of their catalog, not an easy task in rural Oregon in the pre-internet age. What a terrific band.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Some older Gentle Giant threads:

Gentle Giant cover!

G e n t l e G i a n t

At Last - A Gentle Giant DVD!

Hey Gentle Giant fanatics

Gentle Giant - Live and in the Flesh!!

Gentle Giant At The Golders Green Hippodrome - New DVD!

Gentle Giant Proclamation Video

NEARfest / Gentle Giant / Bob Moog Foundation

For what it's worth, my posts in some of those threads are under my old "soapbox" screen name. And I stand corrected by the me from a decade ago who had a fresher memorythe Gentle Giant concerts I went to were in support of Free Hand and Interview, not The Power and the Glory and then Free Hand.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

My first GG show was also that tour with Renaissance (what a double bill!). Later saw them in a very intimate club setting (their opener was Dr. Feelgood). We had a table at the front corner of the stage right in front of Kerry Minnear. I could have just about reached out and grabbed the floor monitor if I'd wanted to. They were doing the new material from "Missing Piece". Was always amazing to me how they could pull off those vocal parts in "On Reflection" and "Knots" so well, and made it look easy. Masters of the craft!

My first GG show was also that tour with Renaissance (what a double bill!). Later saw them in a very intimate club setting (their opener was Dr. Feelgood). We had a table at the front corner of the stage right in front of Kerry Minnear. I could have just about reached out and grabbed the floor monitor if I'd wanted to. They were doing the new material from "Missing Piece". Was always amazing to me how they could pull off those vocal parts in "On Reflection" and "Knots" so well, and made it look easy. Masters of the craft!

Gentle Giant and Renaissance on the same bill must have been sublime. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived