Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you could have one back...

Minte

It wasn't fair. We should've all been able to graduate highschool WITH money,then over the years gradually give it back. Because of that I could barely ever afford to own more than 2 guitars at a time. And there were a few times I couldn't afford to own one guitar@!

I have been thinking about some of those that got away. I think the one that I wish I had kept was a 67' flying V. I bought it new in 68 and played it for maybe a year..and then sold it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never owned it- it was the one that got away- but it was a black Dean Time Capsule Cadillac with 2 humbuckers.

I had ordered the 3 HB version in a tobacco burst quilt and a Dean Special Select EVO, but they sent the wrong Caddy. They sent the regional rep out with the correct Caddy, and he offered to make me a deal on the black Caddy- they REALLY didn't want those going back t the factory.

But I turned him down. I told him I was stretched about as far as I could go with the 2 axes I ordered, and that any offer I could make would be an insult to him and the guitar.

What I SHOULD have said- even though I love it to this day- was "OK, what kind of deal can we work out if you keep the EVO?"

I still probably wouldn't have been able to afford it, but I'll never know.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Another one that got away...

My hesitating to pull the trigger and buy the '72 Hagstrom Viking V-1 I saw at a pawn shop. had the money at the time, but held back for some stupid reason I can't remember now. By the time I DID go back to get it, the guy on the pawn shop floor said the store's owner realized what he had and kept it for himself a couple of days ealier.

DAMN!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

A black & white Sears Silvertone my Grandad gave me in the early 60s. Just like the one Jimmy Page is playing on the cover of Guitar Player way back when. The covering was vinyl - a little lipstick p/u - at the time I thought it was just a cheap guitar - which it was! hahaha

Wish I had it now.

I also wish I'd kept a really nice American made white Strat I bought in 71' for $150 NEW. It had the nicest neck on it....

Ahhhh... the days of old...

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

A 1974 SG Special. And here it is.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562663_2628972543771_2049911524_n.jpg

I have a 67 hanging on my wall! Mine has had a tough life. but it still sounds good.

Congrats Minte, hope you have a long and happy relationship with the new axe. If it find a place in your heart, don't ever sell it.

The days are over where I am selling! I have been working at rebuilding a nice collection of guitars I have either owned or wanted to own. I'm at 15 now with the Strat and have a long list to go. :)

I'm more into selling as I'm no longer collecting and want to lower the number of guitars that I'm not really using much. Have 5 Taylors, 4 Strats, Jaguar (have a buyer) and a Jazzmaster...sold 1 Strat, 3 Teles, 1 Acoustic Fender and a Jazz Bass...My name is Larry, and I'm trying to quit. :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

Mount them on the wall with their necks crossed, with a circular mirror in-between their headstocks, and presto! You've got a Jolly Rickenbacker mirror alcove...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Only one? SHEESH!

Well, for value, a beautifully flamed faded cherry 'burst Gibson Heritage '80 Elite Les Paul. It was the best Les Paul I ever played or heard, and was absolutley gorgeous. It would bring a pretty penny now.

For functionality, a 62 Fender Jazzmaster that was given to me in pieces. I had it rewired back to original, then added a Gibson P-90 in the middle and replaced the bridge p/up with a DiMarzio SDHP. It was really versatile, and played great. The whammy bar was among the best I've ever played.

Just because I got beat out on the deal, an Ibanez semi-hollow body ver similar to the John Scofield model. It was a beautiful guitar, sounded and played well, and I traded it for one of those Ibanez rack mount delays that produced a tone variable from an octave above to an octave below the original note. Boy, did I screw myself on THAT deal.

And for just because, an American made '50's reissue Strat in sort of a bananna cream yellow that was really nice.

And last but not least, a 67 Telelcaster with a rosewood fingerboard that I got while I was in the Air Force. I miss that one a lot. Some of my formative playing years were spent in my barracks room with that guitar, a Pignose amp, and my stereo, figuring out tunes by ear.

There are so many more that I wish I'd hung on to that it's about shameful. The Parker Fly, the Tom Anderson Strat, the PRS Custom 24 with the 10 top...

And don't get me started on amps... :cry:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I had this Fender 30 amp, it was a 30 watt, channel switching all tube point to point wired one twelve combo.

Other than that I don't miss any of the 3 Les Paul Customs, my Ibanez Artist, the ES 345, the 68 SG, the 50's Tele, the Firebird, or any number of Strats and other instruments that I have owned in the past. I have better (newer) guitars now that cost me less in dollars now then those old Gibson's and Fenders cost me back then.

1963 strat - spray-painted it purple metallic in my parents garage then sold it for $300 a few months later.

We didn't know we were doing our gigs with vintage instruments.

Also had a Rick 360 - 12 string, Gretsch Duo-Jet and also the same Fender 12 that Herb Alpert's guy used plus a 65 maple neck tele that I dumped because it was too slippery under hot stage lights.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

I wouldn't mind having my Thomas Organ solid state Vox Super Beatle back. No, it wasn't a good amp, but it sure looked cool. That was my amp during my high school years, stolen after I went off to college, around 1971.

And I really wish I had come up with another $30 in 1966 when that was all that was separating me, offering $100, from a seller wanting $130, for his sunburst Jazz Bass.

Scott Fraser

I've only sold a few instruments: my first bass & electric guitars - Kramer Strikers - that I don't want back; and a Yamaha BB1100S bass, that I wouldn't mind having back. In fact, I was thinking about it the other day, and wonder if this is it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yamaha-BB1100s-4-string-bass-guitar-w-hip-shot-/281051510062?pt=Guitar&hash=item416ff9b52e&nma=true&si=zjZ1z%252F%252FnKTSMkPA15zTKP6Oc37E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had put a Hipshot detuner on it when I owned it, back in the late 80's, and that's the original case like I had. Sure, lots of people could have done the same thing, but it still makes me wonder.

My "do over" would be a matter of snagging some deals I wanted, but missed, like a Gibson EB3, Godin Solidac or a Genz Benz Black Pearl.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Don't really regret any of my sales, but I have a few deals which I regret passing on.

I'd been playing only a couple of years when my buddy offered me his 50's Tele for $200. He'd gotten it from his dad, who was a studio cat, for his birthday along with a 60's SG. He much preferred (as did I) the SG, and the Tele sat in a corner collecting dust. That thing was roadworn (authentically so) and damn-near played itself, it was so smooth. But, it was just not my style back then, so I passed.

We live and learn, lol.

My ears are haunted.

1963 strat - spray-painted it purple metallic in my parents garage then sold it for $300 a few months later.

We didn't know we were doing our gigs with vintage instruments.

Also had a Rick 360 - 12 string, Gretsch Duo-Jet and also the same Fender 12 that Herb Alpert's guy used plus a 65 maple neck tele that I dumped because it was too slippery under hot stage lights.

We must think alike. I painted a '64 Strat psychedelic because Clapton had that SG. Who knew LOL!!!!! I still have it, it's painted black now.

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Archived