Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI turns 30!!

Ashville.Guru

You make a mismatch between the protocol and the physical connection being shared internally in your computer.

A security problem in an OS will be here for every use of your network card, whatever the protocol you use, IP based or not. A non-IP protocol will never protect your computer against a viral attack, simply because the OS activates automatically software support for this card, to make it visible by your computer software.

And that's easy to see : just install a new network card in your computer, and let's decide that this card will be used only for non-IP MIDI communication. And now, check what will happen in your OS : your network card is now visible for all applications, and it can be used for Internet access, even if you do not want it. If you connect this card to network used for Internet access, your computer is exposed. And installing any non-IP driver will not change this.

So, whatever the solution you use (IP based or not), the only solution to prevent any risk with a network card is to use a separate physical network between the MIDI related communication and the web access network.

Bolguz,- I appreciate your comments here, just because I´m highly interested in that technology for next future.

As far I understand, you´re speaking from ONE computer here,- but I´m speaking from several computers and more devices connected to a network switch, the switch connected to a router and the router connected to the web.

I´ve read about the rtp MIDI stuff and related KISS box hardware as well as about the Copperlan, Copperplug and Alyseum hardware, investigated in latency and reliability of network switches and such.

Definitely not fighting for any of these systems mentioned above, I tend using Copperlan software /Alyseum and Netgear hardware for that purpose because I want a star type network of computer(s) running audio/MIDI applications, 1 computer providing simultaneous internet connectivity, keyboard controllers using MIDI over LAN bi-directional and by using a simple Cat5 cable (no MIDI cables !) and upcoming touch surface control.

I plan Alyseum ALeX retrofits for my keyboards to connect directly to the network switch which isn´t possible w/ KISS-Box hardware up to now.

There isn´t any KISS-Box interface comparable to Alyseum ALeX.

Coming back to your original statement:

When I have one of the computers running anti-virus software connected to the ethernet switch and configurated to do the internet work incl. browsing, email and downloads, while all the other machines being connected to that switch do the audio/MIDI work, Copperlan manager allows network configuration that way, all the other machines NOT doing the internet work but connected to that switch won´t be affected by any attacks from the web at all.

I understand Copperlan separates all the MIDI activity (audio over LAN might be the next step) from common internet activity.

Up to now I understand that´s possible because Copperlan isn´t IP based.

Please correct me when I´m wrong,- I´m interested in this.

Beside this and the advantage of the availablity of dedicated Alyseum hardware to build into any MIDI keyboard w/ 1 MIDI In and up to 2 MIDI Outs, I appreciate Copperlan will provide 16Bit MIDI resolution for MIDI CCs and will come embedded w/ Sonic Core SCOPE-6 (Open SCOPE) upgrade when available.

But that´s a personal thing because I´m a S|C SCOPE and XITE-1 user.

That doesn´t mean RTP MIDI won´t or doesn´t work for many, maybe most, users in a studio situation.

Another disadvantage is, KISS-Box hardware is more expensive than the Alyseum stuff.

Not to forget to mention both software solutions are freeware anyway, so only the demands and costs of hardware decide.

A.C.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived