Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who were your Primary Influences?

HammondDave

did anyone mention Oscar Peterson? - albeit more of a god than an influence.

I remember watching an Oscar Peterson PBS special (back in the 1970s). The TV show was part interview, part performance and it was awesome. The grace of his phrasing and the way his fingers would glide across the keyboard just mesmerized me.

After the show ended, I went straight to the piano and copied whatever fills and licks I could remember - it sounded much better than anything I had played prior to that TV show. He was inspiring.

Steve Coscia

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primary influences for keyboards?

Classical training aside, definitely Brian Eno, Trent Reznor, to a smaller degree Greg Hawkes, but more for winding melodies around.

I was also heavily influenced by the Cocteau Twins, Peter Gabriel and The Cure for more general approaches, particularly texturally.

I find these artists and albums as inspiring today as when I first heard them 40 or so years ago.

Piano:

- Dave Brubeck ("Time Out", 1959; "Time Further Out", 1961)

- Bill Evans ("Everybody Digs Bill Evans", 1958; with Miles Davis: "Kind of Blue", 1959)

- Herbie Hancock ("Maiden Voyage, 1965; "Headhunters", 1973)

- Keith Jarrett ("Köln Concert", 1975)

Hammond organ:

- Jimmy Smith ("Back at the Chicken Shack", 1960; "Organ Grinder's Swing", 1965)

- Eddy Louiss ("Trio", 1968)

- Roy Phillips (The Peddlers: "Birthday", 1969)

- Thijs van Leer (Focus: "Focus 3", 1972 )

Synth:

- Tomita ("Snowflakes are Dancing: Electronic Performances of Debussy's Tone Paintings", 1974],

Multiple:

- Keith Emerson (ELP: "Tarkus", 1971)

- Flavio Premoli (PFM: "Photos of Ghosts", 1973)

- Jan Hammer (with John Abercrombie: "Timeless", 1974)

- Joe Zawinul (Weather Report: "Heavy Weather", 1977)

Switched on Bach, I was probably 7 or 8 years old, and was absolutely captivated by this record.

In Jr. High/High School, I was a prog rock nerd, got way into ELP and Wakeman (of course), Jon Lord, Kerry Minnear of Gentle Giant, John Evans of Jethro Tull, JPJ with Zeppellin and, via my older brother's record collection, Garth Hudson of The Band and Billy Payne of Little Feat.

Got turned on to fusion in late High School, Chick and Herbie, of course, but also Jan Hammer and Joe Zawinul. My high school stage band was playing an arrangement of Birdland, I went to the record store to pick up the Weather Report album, it was out of stock, but I bought the cassette of their just released Mr. Gone, definitely one of the stranger WR albums, but it remains a favorite to this day.

First few years of college (Early 80's) were my punk rock years, quit playing keys to play bass in a variety of Punk and New Wave bands, heavily into XTC, Talking Heads, early Psychedelic Furs, etc. Dropped out of school to tour with a band that spent several years on the verge of "making it" (yeah, right). Then joined an African Marimba band for several years, got to open for Fela for 3 dates withn that band.

Dropped back into college, this time as a music major. Returned to keys for school, but kept playing bass in clubs. Studied jazz with Steve Christofferson, an amazing player who is still active in Portland, and composition/improvisation with Rob Blakeslee, a trumpeter and composer with a number of very fine records out. Got turned onto the Avant jazz world, John Zorn, Bill Frisell, Bill Laswell, Wayne Horvitz, Sun Ra, Braxton, Andrew Hill, etc.

After graduating, kept gigging on bass, toured a bit, played millions of gigs locally and regionally. In 2006, I started to get frustrated with bass, and started transitioning back to keys. Got obsessed with Hammond Jazz, Larry Young, John Patton, Jimmy Smith (of course), and especially Dr. Lonnie Smith. Now, I hardly touch my bass, and am gigging in about 5 bands on keys. Still wanna start an avant-Hammond trio, but my chops are not quite there. Yet.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Early Influences:

Ray Stinson and The Moonglows (my Dad's wedding/dance band)

Henry Belafonte

Johnny Cash

My Dad's record collection

My first piano teacher (a real ball-buster)

Teen:

Top 40 Radio

When I started to play out:

Gregg Rolie (Evil Ways - first organ solo!)

Keith Emerson (chops)

Johnathan Cain (songwriting)

Tim Capello (psycho image development)

Frank Maccia (my piano tuner who showed me how to play boogie-woogie)

Michael Franklin (advanced piano instruction)

Today:

Everything!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Seth Justman (j. Geils), Billy Powell, Ray Charles, Leon Russell, Chuck Leavell, Les McCann, Horace Silver, Stevie Wonder
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

My first primary influence was Grandma playing "Heart and Soul" and the "Knuckle Song" when I was just a little kid. I really wanted to play the piano after she played some Boogie-Woogie :thu:

Took lessons for years and played my share of the Classical repertoire. However, in my teens I heard Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" and Bill Evans "Peace Piece" which started my jazz journey. Red Garland, Corea, Hancock and Jarrett were my later serious influences. Got into EP/synths from Weather Report, ELP, YES & Vangelis.

These guys really got me started when I was younger:

Greg Rollie

Chester Thompson

Roy Bittan

David Sancious

Danny Federici

Robert Lamm

Felix Cavaliere

and Steve Knight who I think played organ for Mountain's first albums (I was not happy they did not include his keyboards in the Boston Concert I saw)

Later came Booker T, Benmont Tench

Weather Report, ELP, YES

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Gregg Allman

Billy Powell

Tax Digregorio (Charlie Daniels Band)

Chuck Leavell

Kansas

Rick Wakeman

Paul Schaffer

Darryl Dragon (the Captain)

Billy Joel

Elton John

BB King

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

1956 Hammond C3 with Leslie 122, Roland V-Combo, Trek II Preamp, Peavey KB 100, 1976 Natural Maple Rickenbacker 4001S bass

And yes folks, I do gig with a Casio WK 3700...So there!

Chick- Rhodes style and synth leads

Oscar Peterson (only to be amazed)

McCoy Tyner- modal improv and open chord voicings

Roger Powell- synth textures and harmony

Todd Rundgren- overall favorite, harmony, chord voicings, vocal arrangement

Kansas, Styx, Boston- just general rock keyboards.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Wow - am I really going to be the first one to admit this list? :cool:

'80's...growing up

David Foster

David Paich (Toto, and 75% of all other hits from the '80's)

Jonathan Cain (Journey, Bad English)

Billy Joel

Tony Banks

Jan Hammer

Timothy Drury (Whitesnake)

Current:

David Foster (timeless)

Boh Cooper (Rascal Flatts)

Scott Sheriff (Kenny Loggins, Richard Marx, Steven Curtis Chapman)

Michael Hughes (Kellie Pickler)

Jonathan Hamby (Carrie Underwood)

Chops:

Jordan Rudess (Dregs, Dream Theater)

Greg Phillinganes (the one and only)

Myron McKinley (Earth, Wind & Fire)

Tony McAlpine (oh, so many things)

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I failed to mention one of the most building blocks for my play.

Art Tatum was the source for a lot of my best fancy tricks. Art's runs were killer. But many of the patterns are not so bad if you drills them.

He did a lot of 2 finger and 3 finger runs where he would contect them when mini glissando. A lot of them were just straight runs patterns. Art was a bad dog when it came to pentatonic play. Sounds like you can play at light speed. Every Piano player should study Art's runs.

Art was a Bad Mofo.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Didn't we have an earlier thread along these lines?

My dad was my first influence, both through his playing, and his record collection. I grew up hearing Brubeck, Cannonball, Horace Silver, Oscar and the like, but I was mostly drawn to some lesser knowns like Ray Bryant, Bobby Timmons, Les McCann.

I was fully on my way to being a jazzer when one day my older brother came home with a Jackie Wilson record, and I was ruined from that moment on :laugh:

From there, my influences mixed across genres. Ray Charles and Johnny Johnson with Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff and Groove. My dad would take me out to hear Kai Winding, Joe Williams or Roland Kirk one night, and the next we'd hit the dive across from Bethlehem Steel and hear Stan (Szelest) and the Ravens.

But as I look back, I'd have to prioritize my list of most influential influences as:

My Dad

Ray Charles

Stan Szelest

Jimmy Calire

For me it was just a question of what I was exposed to. In rural Ireland with 2 TV channels there was little jazz music to be found. Occasionally one of the TV stations would put something on late at night and someone would record it onto video for me. And I listened to the radio every night, just pop stations.

In the order in which I heard them.. (and obsessively tried to learn their stuff)

Elton John

Oscar Peterson

Larry Williams

Bob James

Dave Grusin

Spyro Gyra keyboard player whose name I don't know, but is fantastic.

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

....Spyro Gyra keyboard player whose name I don't know, but is fantastic.

Depends on the tune and period.

My guess would be Tom Schuman. But it could be original Keyboardist Jeremy Wall also over the years there have been other personnel on recordings like Richard Tee.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

These guys really got me started when I was younger:

Greg Rollie

Chester Thompson

Roy Bittan

David Sancious

Danny Federici

Robert Lamm

Felix Cavaliere

and Steve Knight who I think played organ for Mountain's first albums (I was not happy they did not include his keyboards in the Boston Concert I saw)

Later came Booker T, Benmont Tench

Weather Report, ELP, YES

Wow someone with similar influences as myself.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Originally Posted By: mikecorbett

....Spyro Gyra keyboard player whose name I don't know, but is fantastic.

Depends on the tune and period.

My guess would be Tom Schuman. But it could be original Keyboardist Jeremy Wall also over the years there have been other personnel on recordings like Richard Tee.

I'm sure he means Tommy, who played live and on most of the recordings. Jeremy was one of the founders of the band and a capable player, but more of an arranger and producer than the sort of chop master that usually gets cited for influence around here. There were a few others on the occasional recordings as noted, (including little ole "your's truly" on the first record). :)

Tommy lives in Vegas now, and when he popped up on a thread a while ago, I called him and had a great time talking "old times". He does some good stuff flexing his considerable music muscles on youtube. Worth checking out.

No to get off thread..

Bob Mayo's memory is well loved in these parts Davedoerfler.

LI, NYC, Westchester,CT . .

A drummer I work with regularly was a good friend and I had heard him play many times live as a kid in 'Rat Race Choir' on guitar before he went into Frampton, Foreigner and all the rest of his work..

He was an amazing guitarist, very modern...many people don't know that about Bobby beside his keyboard work. That great Rhodes solo in 'Bobby I Love Your Way' . . .he was a nice player on whatever instrument he played!

Early on:

Errol Garner

Nat King Cole

Felix Cavalier

Jimmy Smith

Louis Armstrong

Later on:

Chuck Leavell

Chick Corea

Herbie Hancock

Jon Lord

Today:

(so many really but . .)

Bud Powell

Keith Jarrett

Bill Evans

SK and Dave Ferris

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Well I always thought Danny Federici was such an underrated organ player. I loved his drawbar settings and his hot-rodded Leslie.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived