Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai VPC

davinwv

Maybe but the MP-10 lost out on a certain class a performance musician. I perferred the layout of the MP-8II over the MP-10 because the 10 lacks the controller functionality that the 8 had. If I had to play a new MP live I would have to play the MP-6. If 4 zones are enough then the MP-8 is one of the finest controllers I have ever played if you have a good set of dollies.

But I like pretty much everything Kawai EXCEPT the Kawai grand at the Omni Hotel in Houston. I don't thing that POS has been tuned in 10 years..... that isn't Kawai's fault.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, Aidan, I quoted your post, but it was Busch who sounded like suggesting so ;)

Maybe I'm so anxious that some manufacturer turn that way that I just wanted to read something like "Ivory is built in" no matter what I actually read :)

Yeah, thanks for bringing things back to reality. My new thought is that Kawai went to the soft piano developers and had them ready versions that are adapted for this particular controller. That hasn't been done before. The software just assumes a generic controller and this really can be hit and miss. Maybe the VPC-1 supports the greater velocity range that a Pianoteq can take advantage of. Plus, let's assume it has a proper three pedal system that again could be configured properly from the get go. I could see where this could make a sizable difference. In the Ivory logo, it's hard to make out, but it seems to say Approved...

Busch.

I did a screen grab and tried blowing it up in Photoshop to see if I could get anything intelligible out of it, but failed :)

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

But I like pretty much everything Kawai EXCEPT the Kawai grand at the Omni Hotel in Houston. I don't thing that POS has been tuned in 10 years..... that isn't Kawai's fault.
Which location was this, near the West Loop/Galleria, or the one on I-10 further west?

The VPC photo is interesting. The focal length is such that the computer is in better focus than the Kawai logo on the VPC.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Which location was this, near the West Loop/Galleria, or the one on I-10 further west?

The one by the Galleria I believe. It is the one closest to American General headquarters. I don't pay much attention because I don't drive once I land at Hobby. I take cabs or use a Limo service or ride with a co worker who rents a car.

Joe, the first teaser focussed on the Kawai logo ('...from a real piano company' etc.).

Cheers,

James

x

So this one is focused on the laptop, I presume running IvII..is that a USB cable stiken out of the laptop?

The one by the Galleria I believe. It is the one closest to American General headquarters. I don't pay much attention because I don't drive once I land at Hobby. I take cabs or use a Limo service or ride with a co worker who rents a car.

Yeah, most likely that's the one. I'll have to go check out the piano sometime. :D

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I believe there is a considerable amount of mutual respect shared by Kawai and Yamaha. However, I doubt we will see either company include samples or their arch rival's acoustic pianos in a digital product any time soon.

On a separate note, shameless plug --> www.facebook.com/kawaivpc

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Has Kawai changed the black finish on the keyboard since the mp5 and mp8. I found the finish gets scratched off very easily when you set things on top of these older generation boards.

And I can now discern that the small writing says "Approved Touch Curve".

Which is a bit disappointing.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Will they add a new piano model/sample every day until NAMM? :)

I believe there is a considerable amount of mutual respect shared by Kawai and Yamaha. However, I doubt we will see either company include samples or their arch rival's acoustic pianos in a digital product any time soon.

On a separate note, shameless plug --> www.facebook.com/kawaivpc

Cheers,

James

x

Why on Earth would Kawai want to sample those brittle, tinny, overly bright Yamaha pianos when they produce a much better product.

Yamaha does make some nice uprights.

Regarding the convex top, it poses no problem whatsoever. All you would need to do is apply strips or dots of padding to elevate the item to rest on its surface so it clears the curve bump. You could even double up the pads if needed. Things like this come in black, a variety of shapes and made with either felt like materials or rubber. It would prevent marring the finish as well. You could also use adhesive Velcro tape and attach a rubber coated panel. There is also padded insulation tape. There are a number of products available that would work well to eliminate any negative consequences of the convex top.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00cBvaGTAChPkI/Felt-Protective-Pad.jpg

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00cBvaGTAChPkI/Felt-Protective-Pad.jpg

Or Kawai could just make the top of the VPC FLAT to accommodate laptops, iPads, keyboards, sheet music, and dozens of other things that I don't want to stick Velcro pads on. But never mind, my flat-top Yamaha CP300 wasn't threatened by the VPC anyway.

Revealing.

He still makes a valid point though.

The slightly curved top serves no purpose except to make the device 'prettier' (YMMV, obviously).

James posted a few pictures of a prototype device he tested. The area on top of the VPC is big enough to fit a Nord Stage 2 or any other kind of board on top.

Or at least it would be if it weren't 'slightly curved'

I wouldn't trust those flimsy china made felt pads to keep a $4000 Nord stage from faling off to it's certain doom due to the curved surface so I'd place it on it's own rack but it would have been nice if you could use the space on top for something, sheet music, laptop, ipad etc.

Nigeth, a number of boards, including Nords have rubber feet attached to their base. This extra centimetre or so was sufficient to allow my Electro to sit snuggly on top of the VPC1. This is the setup I plan to use once the board is released.

Cheers,

James

x

I'm paranoid about such things.

For one the VPC has such a nice finish that I'd rather not want to scratch it.

I'd also absolutely make sure that my expensive second board sits nice and stable and - short of a mjor earthquake - has not even the slightest risk of falling off.

It's also a somewhat missed opportunity.

The first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the picture of your nord on top of it was 'nice, finally something a can place all of my stuff on top of'

I wouldn't place my netbook on top of it like you did in the promo shot because my clumsy self would certainly cause it to fall of eventually

Sure, I understand your concern about placing additional gear on top, and not wanting to scratch the paintwork etc.

The angle of that promo shot perhaps makes the top surface appear more rounded than it truly is, but this should become apparent when the website opens properly next week.

Cheers,

James

x

Galaxy Vintage D added to the list.

I'm checking out the Galaxy Vintage D right now. Even through YouTube's wonky audio compression the Galaxy Vintage D sounds really good for what I want to use it for.

[video:youtube]

Archived