Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai VPC

davinwv

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Looks like the top is flat, which is a nice space for another controller or light synth... assuming it's not littered with controls.

-John

We'll have to see. Looking closely at the pic, the front part of the top angles downwards toward the keys.

The laptop looks to be sitting almost on a ridge of sorts.

I am very interested to see what all this is about.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Hello chaps,

The top surface is slightly rounded, so not perfectly flat.

However, it's nice and wide, clutter-free, and deep enough to support a secondary board.

Here's some shots with my Electro on top:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35226929/Red%2BBlack.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35226929/Red%2BBlack2.png

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

No wheels? The MP-series has wheels, could they have left them off a MIDI controller? So close...
As much as it's probably going to weigh, that would help with its mobility.

I really thought that's what you meant when I started to read your post...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Looks almost like a grand w/the front face plate reflection..What if it is light?...n has great action....certainly is nice looking.

I certainly hope they do the action there and not ship it out to another country for cost purposes..this past week Ive been on gigs where there were 2 yam boards, one a cp33 and a mox8 and I found them both difficult (the action)

...What if it is light?...n has great action......

I don't think it work that way. There is a postive correlation between weight and action greatness. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No wheels? The MP-series has wheels, could they have left them off a MIDI controller? So close...

Last time I checked, pianos don't have pitch and mod wheels. :idea:

But MIDI controllers do. The sample libs and synths I use have 2-4 controllers mapped. A controller without a mod wheel is worthless to me. Why have wheels on the MP-8 but leave them off the controller??

Oh come on.

Last time I checked, pianos don't have pitch and mod wheels. :idea:

But MIDI controllers do.

Check the site. They don't call it a MIDI controller, they call it a "virtual piano controller." No pitch/mod for the same reason it doesn't have aftertouch, I guess. You could add a MIDI control surface to get knobs/faders you could use for mod, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

... they call it a "virtual piano controller."

True.

... add a MIDI control surface to get knobs/faders you could use for mod

Right.

IMO, this is a piano action controller filling the gap between the cheapo Doepfer PK88 and the Lachnit FLK.

Both don´t offer any programmable wheels, buttons or sliders.

I hope, VPC offers triple pedal,- sustain/damper as continuous controller,- and input for a MIDI CC pedal, programmable for MIDI CC#7 or CC#11 by what ever action when powering up the unit, then keeps that stored permanently until you change it again.

I hope for it comes w/ standard MIDI Out and USB MIDI.

Mergable MIDI-In would be ice on the cake.

I´d combine it w/ a top keyboard offering enough controls and/ or a surface controller (in addition),- Jim Cooper Masterfader Pro in my case.

Kawai piano action,- no brainer.

Now it depends on the price.

You get the keys of 2 keyboards closer together w/ a Lachnit FLK because it´s totally flat top directly behind the keys and has different sensor technique,- but high price and niche/boutique product.

A.C.

So that's what that pic was, James! Nice to see you onboard here at KC. For those who haven't come across him before at PW, James' contributions over there are always very helpful and entirely within the spirit of KC's guidelines for manufacturers' reps.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Hello folks,

It's very interesting to read all your thoughts and comments about the new board. This is definitely something of a niche product, and a clear departure from our regular digital piano/stage piano instruments (although if anyone remembers the classic M8000 controller, you could argue it's a 'return to the past'...). However, I believe the time is right for a slightly different approach, and deliver what so many virtual piano players have been asking for.

I'm currently working on a Q&A/FAQ-style page for the website, and will be fleshing-out some of the points based on the queries raised in this thread.

Again, this is a niche product, with a relatively small (compared to our 'regular' digital pianos at least) potential user base of players. Therefore I believe it's important that we provide as much detailed information as possible, and embrace the community of muscians that lust after and - we hope - buy our gear.

In addition to the product Q&A, I'm also planning an 'interview' with the product leader and the other guys who have worked on the new board. For the majority of consumers, I expect this is pretty dreary stuff (honestly, who cares about how touch curves are prepared, right?), but for keyboard junkies, it's actually kinda cool - well, at least I think so anyway. ;)

I'm not sure everything I'm planning will be online for when the website goes live, but if not, I hope to make it available a couple of weeks later. I'm also completely open to having folks submit their own questions about the VPC or for the team to answer - either before the website opens, or after (maybe there's something you're curious about that's not explained?). Now, I cannot guarantee answers to every single query (there will always be concerns about confidentiality and trade secrets etc.), but if it's within the acceptable boundaries, I'll definitely see what I can do.

I recall a few years ago Mike Martin giving a live streaming presentation of the Casio PX-3 that totally blew me away. He was playing the board, explaining its features, had multiple camera angles on the go, and was answering questions as they came in via email and twitter. Really impressive stuff - he totally nailed it...and the board didn't sound too shabby either. ;)

Anyway, that's the kind of open approach I'd like to have with our new board.

Well, my apologies for the lengthy, slightly aimless nature of this post - I realise I've not even really provided you with any new info to talk about...what a disappointment! But I just wanted to write a little about our philosophy behind the VPC, and specifically how I hope to approach the marketing and involvement from the community etc.

Right, 40 minutes until kick-off in the UK - Come on you Yellows! ;)

Cheers,

James

x

Oh come on.

:facepalm:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I loved the MP8 and I still play out with a MP5 if the gig fits.

Zone Control sliders with pitch and mod wheels and sostenuto support and a great Kawai action is what I would hope for. Otherwise I would continue to control my VSTs from the MP-8ii.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

CEB,

I'd be surprised to see sliders and wheels on this one, as it does seem like a pretty darn focused product, not a "master controller" of any sort.

However, knowing that I can perch my laptop and/or a lightweight controller on top, I could have various controls available. Granted, one more thing to bring, and a mod wheel is maybe not so workable up there.

Right now I've got the ES6 as my "living room" board.

The VPC would give me a weighted action in the "studio" space and really class up the joint!

-John

I make software noises.

Thank you James, For supplying us with this great information without trashing your competitors. I wish that all manufacturer reps would behave like you do.

This looks like a great product. Do you have a price you could release to us?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hammonddave, thanks. The pricing varies slightly from one region to the next. I believe Kawai America will release pricing info once the board is officially announced at NAMM.

Marillion, I just checked the dimensions for the NE2 rack and Krome 61...I don't think they'll both fit on, I'm afraid (this board is more compact than the MP8/MP8II). How does the Krome's clonewheel/Leslie sim compare to the NE2, just out of interest?

Ah, curses - hey thanks for doing that KJ, really helpful.

Actually I don't know if the Krome organ might match the NE2, being as it is old technology now. Some have said with a bit of tweaking they're acceptable.

But I'm sure the Krome/Kronos pianos would sound great played on the new Kawai.

Archived