Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai VPC

davinwv

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was a version of the VPC that included pitch/mod wheels and kept them to the left of the keyboard, I would buy it. Without the wheels I can't use it.

I'm a huge Kawai fan (former endorsee even) and still use my MP9500 as a controller for my writing/production studio. I've been in the market for a replacement for years simply because of the height, the 4-5" or so from the top of the keyboard to the top of the panel. It's just not a great form factor for fitting into a writing desk. But the keyboard action is so good that moving to any other controller just feels horrible.

The VPC looks like it could be a great solution, except SO much of what I do requires pitch/mod wheels for programming. I wouldn't want any other controllers on it, there are plenty of faderbox options out there, but wheels are something different. Many of us have worked on techniques with wheels right along with developing our piano skills.

I totally understand that what I'm describing is a very small niche market. Most people will go for the cheapest option out there and never know the difference. I just want to let you know there's at least one person out there who's been looking for this and waiting for it for years. I can't imagine I'm the only one....with all of the film scoring and Gaming composers building their little workstations out there. We spend most of our lives sitting at these keyboards. Personally, I would like mine to have a nice action (I hope that's not too backhanded....Kawai has really made it hard to use any other action! I'm spoiled!)

Thanks!

Chris

Since it's being marketed as a virtual piano controller, my big question is will it include standard MIDI DINs or is it USB only? I currently use an MP8II pretty much solely as a controller for a Nord Electro rack, and would be interested in the VPC for the same use on gigs.

I also wish it was light enough to fly :laugh:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

If you google "Kawai VPC" images right now, D-Bon's bacon donut avatar is the top image. :D

Ah, a donut! I was wondering about that.

Anyway, this new Kawai looks very promising indeed. I don't know if there's any correlation, but I really like their acoustic pianos.

How does the Krome's clonewheel/Leslie sim compare to the NE2, just out of interest?

Krome doesn't have a clonewheel model in it, just the typical rompler-style Korg patches. You have to go up to the Kronos to get the clonewheel engine.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

synthdogg/Chris, thank you for your post. I think I'll have to send you a PM. You're not the first person to express a need for pitch bend/mod wheels, and I doubt you'll be the last. It goes without saying that I'll definitely raise your comments with the VPC team.

kanker., I cannot really provide any proper specs before the board is formally announced. However, there are a couple of pics of my beloved Electro3 with the VPC earlier up the thread that should give you a pretty good indication of what to expect.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Krome doesn't have a clonewheel model in it, just the typical rompler-style Korg patches. You have to go up to the Kronos to get the clonewheel engine.

Ah, I see. I'll admit that I'm quite interested in the Krome, however while I'm not one of these guys who 'plays' the drawbars mid-song, I think I'd really miss the flexibility of a incremental adjustments. This makes me wonder what organ kind of organ engine the SV-2 will use, once it eventually materialises.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

How does the Krome's clonewheel/Leslie sim compare to the NE2, just out of interest?

Fortunately, on some patches, there is the ability to add/subtract percussion or bring in a clump of extra "drawbars." You can also change the C/V effect or edit the rotary sim (although these are menu items). A few of the organ patches seem reasonably usable, although until I've played them with the band, I reserve judgment.

Sorry, back on topic... Yes, the VPC looks beautiful.

Wanted to extend my personal welcome to the forum, Kawai James, and say that I'm very excited about seeing the VPC at NAMM in--wow, only a week and a half.

As Joe Muscara correctly speculated, the Synthogy folks do indeed use MP-10 pianos as the keyboards for their Ivory demos at NAMM. If you haven't already, and have the units to spare, it'd be a great idea to connect with them and perhaps get VPC's at their booth this year, as they have a lot of great players doing Ivory demos and it always draws a crowd.

PM me if you need introductions to people. Best regards,

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

For me, this piece could be exactly what I need and Im very excited about seeing the specs. I dont care about the wheels for a piano controller, as if I do need, I would happily put a light wheeled piece on top of this. Im mainly interested in a piano controller. Did I sell my receptor too soon? Argh!

And as mentioned, please have midi..then again, why wouldnt they??

It's just frustrating. I've been waiting for someone to make a good controller keyboard for YEARS. I came very close to buying an MP-series and still might. A MIDI controller without pitch and mod wheels, let alone controller faders, is baffling to me. Maybe a future VPC mkII. :P

A MIDI controller without pitch and mod wheels, let alone controller faders, is baffling to me.

It's baffling to me that people still demand this stuff for playing piano. What part of Virtual Piano Controller doesn't make sense?

:deadhorse:

A MIDI controller without pitch and mod wheels, let alone controller faders, is baffling to me. Maybe a future VPC mkII. :P

The "VP" part of the "VPC" name makes the lack of those things make sense to me. It sounds like what you're hoping for is a future UAAPMC (Ultimate Awesome All-Purpose MIDI Controller).

My TR sits on top of my ES3 I can't get to any thing on the ES3. Thats not the only reason I use it as a controller, but hey. My korg has a joy stick enough said. I think the VPC will be great with the exception that it's probably too heavy for giging and for me, I like the ES style boards cause I can get the upper boards keys alot closer to it's keys.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Kawai updated their teaser ad on this.

"A virtual piano controller that plays right out of the box" - plus an "Ivory II VPC" logo.

Would seem to suggest that this thing is going to ship with a special edition of Ivory II?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

"A virtual piano controller that plays right out of the box" - plus an "Ivory II VPC" logo.

Would seem to suggest that this thing is going to ship with a special edition of Ivory II?

That looks awesome. Notice the three blank squares next to Ivory indicating more to come.

Wow, the best sounds tied to a fantastic action.

Busch.

More probably a special offer on Ivory II when purchasing the kawai as might suggest the very visible laptop on top of the board -why would you need a laptop if it already has Ivory II built in?

But it would be real killer if this VPC has built in Ivory II sound or others, I would be the first in line at the stores, at 5.00 a.m. the day it's available ;)

I'm not suggesting Ivory II will be built in to the controller, but that a special edition of the software might be included in the shipping box. I presume the laptop won't be!

I'm not suggesting Ivory II will be built in to the controller, but that a special edition of the software might be included in the shipping box. I presume the laptop won't be!

I don't know. The ad says "plays out of the box" which seems to suggest piano sound built in.

We'll find out soon enough.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I think it would probably cut across the MP10 too much to have sounds built in, and the prominence of the laptop in the image suggests not too. However, as you say, all will be revealed...

I think the "out of the box" is a play on the fact that the design of the product is out of the box.

I can understand gigging musicians getting excited by having Ivory built in. But I don't see this thing as being designed for the road. And for home or studio use, having the sound built in defeats the purpose. If the sound is built in, you're locked into that sound, and it's not easily upgradeable. One of the advantages to using a software piano is that there's lots of alternatives to choose from and it's upgradable with each advancement in technology.

Archived