Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Will VOX come roaring back?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh. A few months ago a guy came over to jam with my band. He had a nice Rickenbacker and apparently had played AC30's his whole life, but had sold everything and bought one of the Valvetronix amps. He went on and on about how great it was, then plugged it in. Man, what a piece of shit. Didn't have a convincing sound at all. In fact the ONLY thing that sounded halfway "real" was the AC-30 emulation, but even at that you could tell it wasn't real when you either played it clean or overdrove it a lot. As for all the effects and other models, they were just cheesy. A while later I spent quite a bit of time mucking with one in a music store, with a guy who really knows how to tweak them. Still sounded like a POS in my opinion. Yeah, AC-30's are loud, and I'd love to have something that sounded as cool at lower volume. Think I'll just save up for an AC-15. This modelling stuff is definitely a long way from "there."

i'll just throw this into the pot... i'm a tube guy all the way but..... from what i understand (and it's hard for me to confirm never having seen one), the oh sooo expensive and highy coveted SRV/Robin Ford/jackson brown, $15k Dumble amp actually had a solid state front end (with all the electronics covered in a glob of glue gun gook on the board so no one could reverse engineer)..... go figure. and btw, a 22 watt amp in fucking loud! a blues junior is still damn loud. (i gig with one all the time)... for recording where volume is an issue, give me a 6 watt champ or les if possible. maybe one of them new-fangled 1 watt amps that are popping up. :) -d. gauss

Unfortunately guys, Vox has discontinued the AC-15. I've kinda given up on the dream of owning a Vox at this point. I'm thinking of building a Marshall 18 watt clone anyway. My Tweed Deluxe clone is so cool and now I stumbled onto this cult of fanatics that have been making Mini Marshalls and Vox AC-30 clones. Seems like a cool project. Check out this website: http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~graydon/18wattbuyparts.html

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I have a re-issue AC15 that I bought in 1996. It's a great amp. Nice to have the direct out and master volume. I've heard that there has been some serious quality control problems in the past 5 years with the Vox amps. Apparently, a lot of them break (don't know the actual problem).

Archived