Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Will VOX come roaring back?

I'm not an expert on VOX but I do know that much of their vintage stuff is very good sounding and a tone many of us desire. Meanwhile, in the past 30 years they've not been a force in the amp market due to their use of pc boards and solid state technology. So what do I think of their emergence with the new modelers? So far so good. They're less than half the price of Vetta & zenTara, you can choose 1 or 2-12 cabs, and from the few reports that have trickled back from NAMM they have stunning sound. With the exception of zenTara, the current crop of modelers will get me 75% of the way there. Looking for at least 90% before I pull the trigger. If the new VOX can raise the bar, we all ride the tide. I don't know about you all but I encourage manufacturers to press on with new technology. Go VOX!!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can only tell you that if the modeler is as cool as my AC30 they've got a hit. I consider myself a Voxaholic as I have the AC30, a pair of '66 Phantom 6 and 12 strings, a Mando, a new MkIII (Brian Jones special) and a Jaguar organ. I have always loved their products and considered the product top notch

[quote]Originally posted by Trash Monkey: [b]I can only tell you that if the modeler is as cool as my AC30 they've got a hit.[/b][/quote] My friend, an expert guitarist with over 30 years of pro playing experience and an AC30 owner, fell so in love with the new modeling amp that he's actually getting rid of his AC30 to get it. I also heard it in Nashville and damn...it's cool stuff. - Jeff

Can somebody please splain to me why anyone would want an amp that modeled an AC-30 when they could just get an AC-30? I mean, it's not as if the AC-30 reissues exactly suck. I don't get it. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img] --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] My friend, an expert guitarist with over 30 years of pro playing experience and an AC30 owner, fell so in love with the new modeling amp that he's actually getting rid of his AC30 to get it. I also heard it in Nashville and damn...it's cool stuff. - Jeff[/b][/quote] Uhh..how much does he want for his AC30???
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a AC-15? I LOVE that old Vox tone, and for recording, the newer '15's seem like they'd be ideal since they use the top boost preamp circuit. Anyone own one or tried one? Impressions? Also, just out of curiousity, how much is the MSRP for the Vox modeller? I have to agree with Ted and Lee - unless it is dirt cheap, sounds incredible and does more than just give you a AC-30 tone (and I'm not talking a Berkley tone here...) it would be better to just grab a "real" AC-30 and be done with it. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]ROFL!!! NO SHIT, Ted!!! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] --Lee[/b][/quote] Geez, then I'd have two Marshalls, a nice old Ampeg, and a Vox...hmmm, then I'd have to collect a few Fenders...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

One reason that people like modelers is that because they are solid state they usually weigh a fraction of the weight of a real tube amp with transformers and such. A Vox AC-30 is a pretty hefty item as I recall. Personally I'm not in the least interested, I want the real deal. I haven't owned a Vox but I would love to have an AC-15, original or reissue. I can see how a guy doing club gigs would rather carry around a solid state modeling amp though, well maybe I can see it. I've carried around everything from old Fender Twins with JBL speakers to a Hammond B-3 because I wanted to have the real sound. I admit to having permanent back injuries though. ------------------ Mac Bowne G-Clef Acoustics Ltd. Osaka, Japan My Music: [url=http://www.javamusic.com/freedomland]www.javamusic.com/freedomland[/url]

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

The reason someone would want a modeling Vox over the real thing would be to get a "loud sound" at a lower volume. This is where modeling amp win. You can't beat them in small clubs, rehearsals, practicing, auditions and for most recording situations. If you play loud all the time then the real thing is better. Buddy

I'm getting old,my studio is in my house,I can't play loud anymore and I have tinnitus.I have a vintage marshall with 2 surviving greenbacks(circa 1966)in a custom cab.Bring on the modeling please,and hurry before I get too old.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by lrbreez: [b]The reason someone would want a modeling Vox over the real thing would be to get a "loud sound" at a lower volume. This is where modeling amp win. You can't beat them in small clubs, rehearsals, practicing, auditions and for most recording situations. If you play loud all the time then the real thing is better. Buddy[/b][/quote] I have to strongly disagree with this statement, at least insofar as recording goes. I can certainly see the benefits of modelling (I own a POD), but IMO, nothing beats the sound of a "real" amp for recording. The POD (or any direct / modelling solution) is nice for layering, getting similar tones to amps you might not have available, and for eliminating "bleed", but when it comes to tone, pure tone and nothing but tone, I'll take the amp every time. IMO, about the only two areas where a modelling amp (at least those I've tried) wins "hands down" is versitility (a wide variety of different tones) and lower weight. And IMO, if you want a "loud sound" at lower volumes, get something like the AC-15, Fender Champ / Super Champ / Princeton or Princeton II or a Deluxe. All of them are under 22 watts RMS, and have been used for countless recordings. Sometimes those small "little" amps can sound bigger on tape than a stack... Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

<> The Valvetronix amps ARE real amps...speakers, power amps, the whole deal. The modeling takes place in the front end, where there are preamp-type effects, but the tube output stage -- which does in fact react to the speaker's reactance -- is what makes it sound so real. The power amp that follows it is really just a booster of the low-level tone.

Yeah Craig, You got it before I could, modeling amps simulate many different configurations of vintage, modern, and cabinet tones. Like a Pod (here I go) which I do NOT like. The only time I used one I was running direct in my DAW and the thing was noisey as hell. The sounds were OK, but the noise was awful, now Amp Farm for TDM--that's a different story, smoooooth. Hey Lee whats the name of your band? I'm only a stones throw from the ATL, would like to catch a gig sometime. Russ

Well, I was going to respond to Lee and the others regarding the fact that the amp is actually more versatile than an AC30, blah-blah-blah, but it seems what's been said already made my point. The interesting thing is that the guy -- who has worked for the major guitar magazines for years and years -- thinks the modeling is so close to his AC30 that the versatility and other advantages makes it worthwhile for him to get rid of the AC30. Keep in mind that I'm a die-hard "real thing" guy, and so is my friend, so that's why this is such a good testimonial to me. Not that it matters...I can't afford a new amp for awhile. Putting some money into the studio, which I tore apart last weekend in preparation for an upcoming new project. Wish me luck! - Jeff

Again,I'd love to crank up my old marshall,but I can't anymore unless I'm on the other side of the glass(there is no partition in my studio).I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

This thread is a prime example of why trademarks are so valuable--buy a trademark, release a product with the same cosmetic appearance, and bingo! Vox is Korg. I'm not saying contemporary Voxes are bad products, but I do believe they offer low bang for the buck. For the price, you can get a point-to-point wired boutique amp. Many people like their new Voxes, but I personally wouldn't pay that much for a PCB amp.

[quote]Originally posted by Submersible: [b]This thread is a prime example of why trademarks are so valuable--buy a trademark, release a product with the same cosmetic appearance, and bingo! Vox is Korg. I'm not saying contemporary Voxes are bad products, but I do believe they offer low bang for the buck. For the price, you can get a point-to-point wired boutique amp. Many people like their new Voxes, but I personally wouldn't pay that much for a PCB amp. [/b][/quote] Yes, Vox is Korg. So is Marshall. You shouldn't hold this against them if the product is still high-quality, though. And let me ask you this...you say you wouldn't pay that much for a "PCB amp". What if it sounded amazingly good? Isn't it incredibly elitist if you bought something [b]only[/b] because there were tubes glowing away inside? I love great sound. I don't give a crap how it's achieved. End of story. Just my opinion of course, and you're welcome to yours. - Jeff

On a side note, take a trip over to: http://www.ford.com You'll see that the following brands are now Ford: Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, Austin Martin and Land Rover, in addition to Mercury, Lincoln and good old Ford themselves. Are all the cars as good as when they were independently owned? Maybe, maybe not. Are they all worse? Are any better? I can't tell until I drive them, and talk to people who have driven one. But I'm not going to count them out without checking them out. The new Voxes sounded great to me and Craig at a recent trade show. You may want to test drive too! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] - Jeff

Woah nellie! Sounds like some of you have got your minds made up on a product that you haven't even heard. What if we had sent this same message to software companies because we like the sound of tape over hard drives. I hope VOX, KORG, FENDER and all the rest press on to achieve yet even better digital products. Those with open minds have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I'm encouraged by Jeff's post about his friend's experience with this product. The few reports I've heard are absolutely glowing. Keep 'em coming!

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b]On a side note, take a trip over to: http://www.ford.com You'll see that the following brands are now Ford: Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, Austin Martin and Land Rover, in addition to Mercury, Lincoln and good old Ford themselves. Are all the cars as good as when they were independently owned? Maybe, maybe not. Are they all worse? Are any better? I can't tell until I drive them, and talk to people who have driven one. But I'm not going to count them out without checking them out. The new Voxes sounded great to me and Craig at a recent trade show. You may want to test drive too! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] - Jeff[/b][/quote] And don't forget that Mercedes Benz is brought to you by the same folks who gave us the K-Kar!!

If the korg amp has the dynamics I will like it. So far what Ive noticed with the pod is when I play a clean sound but give it a little english to get dirty where a tube amp would just open up and take it home the pod just adds this crate like nastyness, especially on low notes when theyre distorted but you dont pluck them hard enough to really growl,just let like the 6th note ring and it sounds like crateville, and Im not talking about some new fangled crate Im talking about the pre modeling solid state dark years here. If I want a totally clean sound or some totally zero dynamics distorted sound modelers are nice, but Ive found the most interesting area's is when you are just inbetween those 2 extremes and can take it either way just with your playing...So far the modelers can do a lot, they just lack the...you know..they lack that voodoo chile...So far the modeler amps Ive tried will give you adequacy consistantly wich makes some stellar guitarists just love them, but a tube amp is just some organic thing that melds to your playing when your in the zone..I think its all in the fingers, but when you do certain things with your fingers the tube amp will give you sooo much and the pod aint giving nothin'. If the vox has those special notes hidden in it I'll buy it otherwise he he keep trying guys....

<<< I have to strongly disagree with this statement, at least insofar as recording goes. .....I'll take the amp every time. And IMO, if you want a "loud sound" at lower volumes, get something like the AC-15, Fender Champ / Super Champ / Princeton or Princeton II or a Deluxe. All of them are under 22 watts RMS, and have been used for countless recordings. Sometimes those small "little" amps can sound bigger on tape than a stack... Phil O'Keefe >>> The first thing I did when I got my Asys 212 in 1996 was to mike it and record with it. I prefer using it over the small amp route, but to each his own. After POD came out I started using that more. I'm looking forward to checking out the Vox and the Line6 Vetta. As far as Jaguars go they are definitely better after Ford bought them. Buddy

[quote]And let me ask you this...you say you wouldn't pay that much for a "PCB amp". What if it sounded amazingly good? Isn't it incredibly elitist if you bought something only because there were tubes glowing away inside?[/quote] For the record, I own and use a Pod. I also own and use a Blues Jr., which is a tremendous value and sounds great. But as far a printed circuit boards go, they ARE an issue. Even the well-designed ones are not as easy to maintain as point to point wired circuits. Mounting power tubes to a PCB is a BAD IDEA. I don't understand how these things are even open to debate. How can Mike Zaite (Dr. Z) afford to handwire an amp, in the US, at roughly the same price point you'd pay for a Vox? Just food for thought. John This message has been edited by Submersible on 08-08-2001 at 02:56 PM

Phew! This is a hot topic. I have to agree... I still like the old stuff better. I mean, some of us remember what an AC30 or a Fender Blackface Twin sounded like from day one. (Whoops my age!#^&%) I mean with Mullard tubes or Sylvania's .. ya know.. the "Good" tubes. I just got done playin' with Fender's CyberTwin the other day. Tried to evaluate some DiMarzio pickups installed in a Les Paul. Couldn't get a good clean tone out of that thing to save my butt! Played with it for 15- 20 minutes! Finally yanked the cord and fired up a ProSonic and the Paul came alive. Now don't get me wrong... I repair these silicon beasts so it's not "operator error"! These things have a place in the studio but right now, they're not quite there as far as Tone. (Hope the Fender Rep isn't listening...or maybe he should be). Give 'em 10 more years and a 2GHz AMD Athlon processor! I agree with Peter Frampton and Vinnie Moore. Nothing like taking a couple of humbuckers through a cable... straight into the amp. Pep

Hey man...the old stuff is great! Some of my very favorite recordings I ever did was a Les Paul straight into an early '70s Twin. Sweeeeeeet tone! Much like the analog versus digital debate on the recording side of things, I think there are obvious advantages and disadvantages to using "real" versus "modeled" amps/pres. This new Vox amp is cool. So is an AC30. Good thing there's room for different opinions, different applications and different needs in all areas of music. I sometimes wonder if there are art forums where people fight over Rousseau versus Degas. It's all good to me, baby! - Jeff

Archived