Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Songs / Music for Jewish Weddings

ikeaman

hi everyone, it's been a while since i posted. hope everyone is well. my band has had enquiries for a couple of jewish weddings. i would love us to do them but not quite sure how to approach in terms of songs. both couples are pretty easy going and like us to 'do what we do' so to speak but i'd like to go further and try and exceed their expectations. i'm sure the older folk would appreciate a few 'trad' or even modern songs sung in jewish. anyone recommend any? here is what i have so far :

hava nagila

siman tov

moshaich

hevenu shalom aleichem

theyre pretty easy songs and 'moshaich' is fun to play with the horn line. im on keys, lead vox and doubling on synth bass ;) i'll have to learn to sing in hebrew though!

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

george forman grill ( special edition w removable plates )

kopparberg non alcoholic pear cider

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks yannis thats great. pity there's no preview :(

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

that's already on the set ha ha ha ;p

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

...the older folk would appreciate a few 'trad' or even modern songs sung in jewish.

Jewish may be both a religion and a culture, but it's not a language. Step 1 here will be to avoid asking the bride and groom (or anyone else) if they want any songs "sung in Jewish." ;):thu:

After that, the only real mandatory song at a Jewish wedding (assuming the bride and groom want traditions adhered to) is Hava Nagila, which is played while the attendees dance the Horah. You should check out some videos to see how it's performed (the song is repeated over and over; start slow, get faster; etc.) since it's an important part of the celebration. There are a whole bunch of other traditional songs, but Hava Nagila is definitely #1 (and may be enough by itself).

Noah

thanks.. of course.. you're absolutely correct. yeah i've been on youtube just to check stuff out. i think they want the band to play 'hava nagila' whilst the couple walk into the room. the band is itching to learn more though ;)

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

...the older folk would appreciate a few 'trad' or even modern songs sung in jewish.

Jewish may be both a religion and a culture, but it's not a language. Step 1 here will be to avoid asking the bride and groom (or anyone else) if they want any songs "sung in Jewish." ;):thu:

Oh my God! My twin brother has been shot! I think it was an Asian gang or something... There was this guy, he looked Asian... and he was speaking another language, I'm pretty sure it was... Asian. :laugh:

[video:youtube]

hava nagila

siman tov

moshaich

hevenu shalom aleichem

Those are 4 great songs.

I have been playing Bar Mitzvahs and Jewish weddings for years with a trio and this book has been indispensable:

The Jewish Fakebook

Not all the changes are 100% but overall it's an excellent resource.

One more note: For the Hora, we always medley 3 or 4 tunes (including Hava Nagila) together. The Hora can last 10 minutes and staying on just one song for the whole thing gets very tiresome.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

And bring along a mohel... Give them a package deal!

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

One of my bands is a klezmer band so I have quite a bit of experience here. There are a few Israeli dance tunes that work well in the right community. These have specific dance moves that everyone knows (these titles are how I know them, YMMV):

Zemer Atik

Mayim Mayim

Tzadik Katamar

Miserlou

These are simple but its extremely important to get the right feel (you don't want the Dick Dale surfer guitar version of Miserlou for instance.) That goes for Hava Nagila as well. Its not a polka, there is a "bulgar feel" that you need to listen to (especially the drummer). Play it too slow and no one will dance, play it too fast and Uncle Heime will need the defribillator

+1 on the above comment about making a freilach medley (that's a klezmer term for things like Hava Nagila). We do Hava Nagila, Mazel Tov,Od Yishama and some instrumental freilach (gives the singer a break). Lasts about ten minutes.

I sat in on one Jewish Wedding. We played what seemed like the entire Neil Diamond Hit Parade.

We did "Forever in Blue Jeans" and that started the whole process.

I don't think it mattered whether we played any more traditional tunes after that.

Come to think of it, only three traditionals were played.

When it comes to the Orthodox weddings, you ain't getting that gig anyway, so A Jewish wedding is really no different from a gentile wedding these days.

thanks for all you suggestions / input everyone. loved the youtube 2 clips as well ;p

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

Archived