Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The 100 greatest songs of the 00's

picker

VH1 is in hour 5 of their presentation of the 100 Greatest Songs of the 00's. So far, Brittany Spear's "Toxic" and Destiny's Child's "Bootylicious" are clsoing in on the top of the list. The bar was obviously set pretty low to find 100. :sick:

Oh wow, Coldplay's "Clocks" is #17.:tired: I feel sorry for this generation. They haven't produced anything that can compete with "Machine Gun" or "Stairway to Heaven", or even "Freebird", for corn's sake. This crap isn't even very good, let alone great.:rolleyes:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How soon we forget!

FWIW, "Clocks" is probably my favorite Coldplay song...and "Toxic" is the only Britney Pears song I find listenable.

That said, IMHO, most of the good stuff between 2000-2010 was below the radar, but not all:

Death Cab For Cutie's "I will posess your heart" struck a chord with me.

The Black Keys, The Hives, and Muse blew up in that time period.

Jack White did some good stuff in a variety of bands.

Soil & Pimp Sessions released some killer jazz fusion.

I got turned on to metal bands like High on Fire, Gojira, and Mastodon.

Dream Theater, Rush, California Guitar Trio, Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson had nice releases.

King Crimson was not silent.

The world was introduced to Rodrigo y Gabriella.

Rival Sons debuted, as did Davy Knowles and Orianthi.

Jonas Hellborg, Bill Laswell, Bootsy Collins, Buckethead, Nicky Skopetelis, Helios Creed and others pushed music into some curious realms.

What about Robert Plant, Alison Krause & T-Bone Burnett's Raising Sand album?

And more, I'm sure!

...not that most of that stuff showed up on that list. Some of it didn't hit radio or video, either.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

100 greatest songs... to who?

I personally don't care much what the general population or the media considers the greatest songs.

i am sure every forum member here has well over 100 songs they love from the last decade. which should be all that really matters. and you should listen to your favorites and forget about and be happy because no one is forcing us to listen to what they consider good music.

i have bought a pile of great music in the last 10 years, none of it is on the radio, i have a cd player in the car and i only turn on the radio when my wife is present.

I posted about this show, when they played it last year, too. The thing I noticed was how few bands were featured, of any kind. Most of the videos featured stars like Beyonce, surrounded by elaborate sets, and swirling dancers, often with no musicians in sight.

Now, if they wanted to call the show The 100 Greatest hits of the 00's, we're talking about market share, not musical content, in which case, I can't really argue with their selections, and as 'Zan points out, no one is making us listen.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Now, if they wanted to call the show The 100 Greatest hits of the 00's, we're talking about market share, not musical content, in which case, I can't really argue with their selections, and as 'Zan points out, no one is making us listen.

Hey Winston,

+1. It's got nothing to do with music. It's about sales!

If you play cool, you are cool.

100 greatest songs... to who?

I personally don't care much what the general population or the media considers the greatest songs.

you should listen to your favorites and forget about and be happy because no one is forcing us to listen to what they consider good music.

Yeah, I agree. An Aesthetic is highly subjective. I am certain that many forum members would not be happy listening to music I like and I am equally certain that I wouldn't like the music they think is terrific. This does not negate the musical validity of either genre.

If you play cool, you are cool.

I've seen shows like this that tried covering every decade since the '50's. I don't know how they compile their lists, or who they ask, but as usual, I find myself in total disagreement with many of their choices. I, too, believe it's based on record sales, which doesn't really mean the songs are "great". It's similar to those stupid reports you hear on local news shows about the "Number one movie in the United States". It's based on attendance records, which might only indicate how many people plunked down millions of dollars BEFORE they found out the movie SUCKED!

Also, "Greatest Song" lists usually concentrate on Top 40 airplay, NOT the type of music mentioned by Danny.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

It's either oldies (which can be anything from 50's to 80's with a few 90's thrown in) or for the most part I just listen to newstalk radio in the car, so I've lost touch with the new stuff world of GAGA and other chicks, and I'm not in to Justin B either...1999 Santana's Smooth is about where I clicked off although I have liked some more recent U2 and oldie revisited stuff by Chris Issacks (sp?)...my playing materiel can go back to 1933 Summertime and 1945 Since I Fell For You and I'm always on the lookout for helping the old tunes come alive again...I do try to keep an open mind, but I would have a hard time coming up with 00's tunes...
Take care, Larryz

Luckily, I live in the immediate Detroit area, and can pick up CBC-2 on my FM dial. Some of their offerings are pretty eclectic, but I haven't picked up on specific artists(yet).

But as far as popular music goes, everytime they advertise the "GRAMMY'S" TV broadcast, I have NO idea who the chosen performers or nominees are.

Looks like ANOTHER summer of chasing punks off my lawn.

White(long in the)fang

Levon Helm had a great album, Electric Dirt. Mumford and Sons, the Lumineers, all good. I just don't listen to top forty, partly because it's the top forty of a narrow segment. I hear a lot of great songs on Serius sat radio, but have no idea if they are anywhere close to a top forty rating.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Because I pointed it out in another thread...

Raphael Saadiq has had 12 Grammy nominations- and one win- from 1995-2011. He does some good, 60-influenced modern R&B.

Here's my favorite live version of "100 yard dash" on VH-1's SoulStage:

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/276823/100-yard-dash-calling-you-soulstage.jhtml

Note: neither of those songs was nominated, but "100 yard dash" is from a nominated album.

While I'm at it...even though it falls outside of the '00s, Leon Russell's album with Elton John is simply great- possibly the best stuff EJ has put out in a decade.

And Dr. John's latest is, IMHO, one of the best in his career. His vocals and piano are stepped back a bit in the mix, and everyone else is brought a smidge more forward. Result: the freaking geniuses in his band make the album a tour de force of restrained, gritty virtuosity. Everyone is in the groove from start to finish.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

That's probably due to Dr. John, Danny. He's always had a great knack for finding excellent sidemen, and following his lead can make anybody sound better.

Whitefang

in the 60s and 70s, for the most part, "pop" and "rock" were different worlds that intertwined a bit.

In the 80s and 90s pop and rock merged, particularly in the 80s, which is why 80s cover bands will be in style for the end of all time: it was the era where every person of every age heard (and saw) the same hits more or less... the enormous success of pop stars and rock bands in that era was due to a multi-generational market.

In the 00s, music has fragmented into so many subgenres, that go out of style in 2 years, and "pop" and "rock" have parted ways, philosophically.

That doesn't mean there isn't great music, it's just not "popular," since the market for popular music is a laser-focused group from 12 - 23 who don't question things too much and are easily influenced into buying a wide spectrum of lifestyle products.

For example, when I get my copies of guitar magazines in the mail each month and see the same 60s/70s/80s/90s people on the cover over and over with a few exceptions, I realize it's because magazines have to sell copies and subscriptions and those players still have a broad fanbase and recognition.

I understand name recognition and all that, but still it seems strange to someone like Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen on the cover YET AGAIN, for the thousandth time! But of course economics rule, and Guitar Player certainly hips us to up and coming players and well as the Old Fart Brigade...

I don't think that "guitar hero" is all that important in pop culture these days, and I have mixed feelings about all that.

But since I don't really follow pop culture anymore, it doesn't matter too much....

+1 on Raphael Saadiq, the man makes great albums with fantastic arrangements. "Stone Rollin' " is a great album from start to finish.

+1,000 for Imelda May, she and her band are fantastic, and both of her albums are great from start to finish, and you have to listen to the albums to find out that she is not just a one-note rockabilly revivalist. Look for Jeff Beck's tribute to Les Paul, where she and her band back Beck and others in covering a wide range of Les Paul's songs.

Looking back over the iTunes playlist of the 00's, I see a lot of impulse purchases I'd forgotten about, but there are some gems there as well. I have a hard time remembering radio play turning me in the direction of entire albums that were all-killer from start to finish, (or at least 80%, which is rare in this day) and the only artists that come to mind are Robert Randolph, KT Tunstall, Fountains of Wayne, the Scissor Sisters, and OutKast.

There were quite a few hit singles, of course, but a lot of those were as it has always been, one-hit wonders. I hate to admit it, but the music on "Toxic" is so hook laden that I cannot turn the channel if it plays on the radio. That's what makes a hit even when the singer has nonsense words to say. Hooks and whatever words you like, that's pop music right there.

Los Lobos made some incredibly great albums throughout the 00's, but got little to no airplay. Fortunately, they are so consistently from start to finish, I buy their CD the second it comes out without fear of having one hit among the dross. How many artists can the same be said of?

In the '80's, the masses were tired of the same ol' arena rock, so the Brits, and a few Americans took the "if he can do it, so can I" attitude of punk, and applied it to trying to make something new, different (and often danceable), with synths, guitars with massive effects, and often huge production, and they made something fresh, (until the hitmakers got a hold of it and packaged it for the masses, pouring it over every song and artist like mushroom gravy over mystery meat) which is why so much of those songs get stuck in our heads 30 years along.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Los Lobos' future induction into the R&R HoF is virtually assured. They have so much more breadth and depth than one would expect just hearing people discuss them.

It's happened with recorded music since they started recording it. For some reason, either producers or bands(and leaders)for one reason or another pick someone and follows their lead. Eventually, it leads to an erosion of what started out as a good idea. You can hear similarities in combos from the '20's, swing bands in the '30's, big bands in the '40's, crooners in the '50's, all the Elvis copies, Beatles copies, Hendrix copies, "prog-rock" bands, "glam-rock" bands, "New-Wave" bands and so on. Yeah, at first you hear the differences, but eventually, those who don't or refuse to fit the formula are faded out and we're left with essentially "Cabbage Patch Kids" bands. Different names that look and sound the same. The best(or worst, if you may)example of this were the big haired, spandex laden "Metal" bands of the '80's. All had their eye-liner, at least one member who looked like Axl Rose, and personally, I couldn't hear the difference between Guns 'n'Roses, Motley Crew and Def Leppard. There were exceptions of course, but THEY never seemed to GET very far.

Whitefang

Los Lobos are a great band and deserve the R&R hall of fame, but for the 00's I would pick Los Lonely Boys and their hit Heaven...

+1, I can't believe I forgot them, especially as I was lucky to see them in their hometown before they made it big. Excellent show, excellent group of brothers.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I often channel surf the radio, and sometimes stumble on something I like. But I often don't know what DECADE it's from, LOL.

It's very rare it will inspire me to go out and buy a record nowadays.

As for as lists, if I ever see another freakin' LIST or SURVEY as long as I live,it will be TOO SOON....

I propose a survey on whether surveys should be outlawed!

Archived