Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A short contemplation concerning frequency spectr. (youtube)

Theo Verelst

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a point here?

I think the point of this and others' of Theo's is that Theo is obsessed with the numbers that are behind music, and with the specs of equipment that produces music. It is a certain 'geekiness' that he has with the raw numbers, and that in no way is meant to be insulting.

It is very possible that all our tech advances are the product of such obsessions.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Tones and music are made by frequencies, so that shouldn't be to hard to understand.

Academics can be popularized, but hey, if you have no interest in finding the flaws of your special philosophy peers, or the too trusted makers of certain instruments, who aren't the makers of the Digital Signal Processing plans from the past, or if you're not willing to see the bigger picture, I'm fine with that.

I think keyboard players are smart, and should in many cases be the center manager of a band, so I'm not willing to tone down for a small group of excuses for people, who want to take oaths of laymanship from others, sorry. And if that upsets certain hierarchies, fine with me.

I miss Sven. I don't understand Theo or that video either. I do love Richard Tee and this was an hour and a half well spent.

Holy $%^&!!! I haven't seen this until now. Thanks for sharing!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Tones and music are made by frequencies, so that shouldn't be to hard to understand.

Academics can be popularized, but hey, if you have no interest in finding the flaws of your special philosophy peers, or the too trusted makers of certain instruments, who aren't the makers of the Digital Signal Processing plans from the past, or if you're not willing to see the bigger picture, I'm fine with that.

I think keyboard players are smart, and should in many cases be the center manager of a band, so I'm not willing to tone down for a small group of excuses for people, who want to take oaths of laymanship from others, sorry. And if that upsets certain hierarchies, fine with me.

Sorry Theo. I understand what you're doing. I'm questioning why and your methodology.

A good musician knows when something sounds good by hearing it, not by seeing it on a graph or analyzer. They know a groove when they feel it, not when it is shown to them on a grid.

Throughout human history, we have artists, and then we have so call "experts" who explain the art to others. Those experts are often full of sh*t, clueless MFers who lack the innate skills to actually create that which they've deemed themselves experts at. Question these folks, and (like you did) they whip out dismissive smackdowns, claiming intellectual superiority and unwillingness to sink to the level of their "obviously" ignorant and/or unintelligent critic.

Yes, tones and music are made by frequencies, but if you can't find the flaws in your instruments with your ears, perhaps you should try hanging out at some slide rule forum instead of one for musicians.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress ? I tried my Linux based tube notch filter ant-spoilers (3) I tried on CDs, on the latest piano patch (with tube and averaging effects built in) I made, so now it starts to sound as lively and warm I start liking to play it:

tvpiatubenotch1.mp3 44.1 st 256, 35 secs

I don't think I want to offer this as a download, but maybe it will be good to be credible..

I'll have to put these effects, which make the spectrum much more believable, into the sound, so that will be some work.

This type of sound is so much more like a "living" piano that I feel no attraction almost to all those sampled things.

Archived