Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

playing Tom Waits songs.

yorgatron

how would you go about it?

a friend of mine wants to do a Tom Waits tribute of sorts,and I'll be playing guitar/harmonica/percussion, and some of the piano parts. so even though I'm not very good at piano (or organ, or any other keyboard really) I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about his piano style.

we're mostly working off simple cheat sheets (chords/lyrics) so any stylistic pointers would be appreciated.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're looking at early Waits, the sound is a big part of it. I love the sound they have on "Closing Time", a compressed upright piano with loads of prescence. I really dig his piano style, it's very tasty and he's got great timing. He does a lot of country fills, double stops and so on. "Nighthawks at the diner" has loads of tasty playing.

I want to perform "My piano has been drinking". I haven't been able to locate sheet music for this. Anybody have any luck?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

There is a huge shift in orchestration styles once he left Electra Records. Up to Heart Attack and Vine, he used rather simple, conventional instrumentation with a few exceptions. During that period, he made use of very simple and open arrangements. On Small Change, there are a few songs that use only a single instrument and Wait's voice. That sparse and dark soundscape is a significant part of the delivery. Blue Valentine is another album that demonstrates this point very well. IIRC, Blue Valentine is the first album where he used guitar distortion.

Heart Attack & Vine (my personal favorite) very strongly demonstrates the importance of his voice as the main instrument. Listen to the dynamics on Ruby's Arms and On The Nickel, where almost all accompaniment drops out while he sings, save the simple piano part. The richness of his gritty voice fills the sound spectrum, so nothing else is needed. Some great and tasty B3 playing on that album as well. Check out In Shades and Till The Money Runs Out.

Starting with swordfishtrombones, Waits took on a sonic change. He started to use less common instruments, and the arrangements became a bit more complex. His songs were still about the grittier side of life, but he sort of dropped the musical troubador persona at that time. Even to this day, though, his arrangements are very simple and understated, which leaves a ton of space for his main instrument. On a recent perfomance on David Letterman, he had a couple of guitars, bass, drummer and the keyboard player on an old transistor organ. I think the whole song was one chord.

Overall, my advice would be to underplay as much as you possibly can. I hope your lead singer has got the pipes for the material.

I hope your lead singer has got the pipes for the material.

Keep us informed of your progress. Now we've heard you're building something over there, we're curious ... we want to know what it is. We've a right to know.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I just stumbled across a video from 1978 the other night - might have been at the Roxy in L.A. He was backed up by guitar, acoustic bass, drums and tenor. It looked like the most challenging part of that gig was for the band to anticipate his timing and improvisations. Those cats had their hands full.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Have you heard Holly Cole's Waits covers album, Temptation?

[video:youtube]

Nice...thanks for the pointer. Rain Dogs was the first CD I ever bought in 1985. Haven't pulled it out in a while but now I think I will try to find something from it for my duo gig.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm a huge Waits fan. I was on a massive "must cover Waits" craze a year or two ago. Can't wait to see what you muster.

For those that appreciate a decent cover, I found this back then and thought you all might appreciate it. I generally don't like solo with guitar covers but this one is way above average (beautiful girl, beautiful voice, beautiful song):

[video:youtube]

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

@D-Bon. I loved that. Never heard of her. Very excited here, off to Wikipedia to read up and then Amazon/iTunes to see about buying some new tunes. Cheers.

:thu:

I haven't really kept up with her music. After this she veered off into more pop territory with a good album called Dark Dear Heart (I think her cover of "River" is sublime), but I don't think her last few albums have had distribution outside of Canada where she's from.

Overall, my advice would be to underplay as much as you possibly can. I hope your lead singer has got the pipes for the material.

this approach will work perfectly with my limited technical ability.

singer has a very gravelly voice, he became a Tom Waits fan because a number of people told him he sounds very similar.

ONe of the best shows I've ever seen was Waits at the Royal Oak Music Hall in Michigan, with just a guitarist on archtop, upright bass player, sax player, and Tom on piano or tympani (or nothing). A huge change from the first time I saw him, with a big band at Hill Auditoreum in Ann Arbor -- also a good show, but too lively for the venue and I could barely make out a word of his vocals.

I agree with the advice to underplay and focus on the vocals.

Tom Waits just guested on The Simpsons, "Homer Goes to Prep School." Perhaps you could incorporate some of his dialogue from that. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

ONe of the best shows I've ever seen was Waits at the Royal Oak Music Hall in Michigan, with just a guitarist on archtop, upright bass player, sax player, and Tom on piano or tympani (or nothing). A huge change from the first time I saw him, with a big band at Hill Auditoreum in Ann Arbor -- also a good show, but too lively for the venue and I could barely make out a word of his vocals.

I agree with the advice to underplay and focus on the vocals.

you guys are lucky. Waits comes to Europe only once i a while, he does only few shows and tickets fly fast. As far as covering his songs: i believe the best and more secure way is to avoid using his tricks (voice styl, instrumentation etc) and go the opposite way.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived