Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arranging songs in a setlist

JimboK

So I have an 80's/90's thing going and we've developed a list of songs we can play. So far, on the few gig's we done, I've mashed the list together based on energy flow to the best of my limited ability (start strong, ease the energy down mid set for some ballad stuff, then finish a 12 song set with 5 or so killer tunes. However, lately, we've been grouping songs together in 2's and 3's by key for smoother transitions (not quite medley style yet). Kinda nice.

However, I am concerned that the overall flow of a set can be harder to manage if you get the band used to playing the same 3 in a row to tighten transitions.

The other factor is we definitely have some material that may get phased out over time and I wonder if I am creating a monster here. Down the line type thing.

Lastly, how hard do I need to break up the inevitable giant list of songs in G for instance? The ballads are always in G right?

As a point of clarification: We play almost everything in it's original key just for ease of practice at home and the only thing I change are things that are played a half step down. We tune those up to standard again for ease.

So what do you all suggest? Keep slamming them together in little groups or keep 'em apart?

Any other set list creation tips?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never go with organizing by key, though I know plenty do. More important to me is going by feel and what a song may feature...be it, vocals, tempo, featured instrument(s) etc. More of a feel over what will help orchestrate the dance floor and/or provide a break for whoever may need one in the band.

I have done double shots by bands, not necessarily medley style, but if we start a Petty groove, and people want more, give them more.

But alas, I'm certainly no expert!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I think the only advice I can give is learn to read the crowds. Usually this works best for front person(s). We had 12-15 songs listed for each set and we all knew them well. Sometimes we would call the next song mid-song to each other. If the dance floor is packed, yeah, keep em out there. Know when to dump the floor for a ballad. Encourage them to drink by playing drinking songs and remind them to tip their bartenders and waitresses. That will hopefully keep you coming back.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I really like 3 song sets, but I see no reason to have to put them together because they are in the same key. Setting up 3 song sets gives the band momentum and allows you to change direction every 3 songs. (16 numbered 3 song list, 2 pages, 2 columns per page, sets called by number)

Having a couple tunes that flow together due to the key can be effective, but doing it all night would get boring to everyone.

I havent been in charge of the list in a couple years so I just play what somebody else calls. I do like to have lists so I can get patches pulled up. The worst thing is standing on stage watching the song caller waffle about whats next. That drives me crazy!! As the keyboard player, its hard to get the next song sometimes because the fronts huddle, pick a song and assume you can hear them. Sorry, cant read lips and my hearing is not so great. Some nights I really get tried of saying What are we playing? All too often a song is called out, I set up for it, only to find out they huddled and changed it.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I largely agree with the others. My last band was a very successful 80s band, and we strung songs together based on how well they transitioned, not by key. The drummer was best at figuring these out due to tempo and feel. However, they wouldn't always be te same 3 songs or whatever. There were multiple groups tat a song could be put into. Even without a "group", we never let more than a few seconds lapse between songs. We always managed to cram at least 15 songs into a set because we didn't stop. We generally didn't call audibles. If we got a request, we'd wait til break and figure out where we wanted to put it in the net set.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Okay, great advice everyone. Yeah, we definitely try to match up tempo and the key thing works because often a song ends with a giant resolution chord and it's easy as pie to have that same chord start the next song. We also do try to keep the ballad thing "loose" as we've had to move those before to react to crowd requirements. We also have to pair some songs out of necessity (our bass player also plays sax and sings a couple songs, so we group those together as the normal singer needs to equip the bass) but those are easy to figure out.

My main concern is building these killer little "song-blocks" and then finding out, after much effort and time, that they miss the mark on energy.

Thanks everyone.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

My main concern is building these killer little "song-blocks" and then finding out, after much effort and time, that they miss the mark on energy.

I don't think it really has to take all that much time and effort. Roll through it once in practice to see if it flows. If it does, try it at a gig. Maybe you're over-thinking the transitions. Just play the song and keep the beat going into the next one, or start the beat to the next one while everybody is sustaining the chord from the previous one. You don't have to rewrite the songs, just don't stop.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

"Maybe you're over-thinking the transitions"

It's like you've known me for 20 years. I always over-think things. Sometimes good, often a horrible mistake.

Thanks Dan.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived