Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone re-arranged a song into a DUBSTEP style ?

Bansaw

Just wondering if anyone out there has composed a Dubstep style song, or re-arranged one of their existing songs into that style?

If so, did you use any VSTs or other plug-ins to help you?

Reaper, i7-7700k, Win10, 16GB, 2TB, 500Mb SSD, MOTU Ethno & Symphonic, Studiologic 990Xp 88-key, Behringer UM2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are youtubes that show filter techiniques for the rub a dub effect...

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Yes.

NI's Massive is the Dubstep holy grail and kind of the core softsynth that made the genre possible as it is right now. There are tons of other VIs and plugins that are used by producers of the genre also: Sylenth, ReFXs Nexus and Nexus 2, Effectrix, FM8 is a short list of my go tos.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Just wondering if anyone out there has composed a Dubstep style song, or re-arranged one of their existing songs into that style?

If so, did you use any VSTs or other plug-ins to help you?

No...please...stop...No more dubstep in 2013!

BTW, it's not the wobbly bass that I can't stand, I actually think that's the most creative part of dubstep. It's the s-l-o-w, lumbering tempo. It makes you NOT want to dance. That, and all the kids think it's new and original, which it is not (They need to learn about drum n bass sometime. Now THAT's music!).

I "get" a lot of things. And I listen to experimental music, electronic stuff, etc. But I have yet to grasp the appeal of dubstep.

Anyway, best of luck in achieving your goal.

I "get" a lot of things. And I listen to experimental music, electronic stuff, etc. But I have yet to grasp the appeal of dubstep.

It's those huge, heavy-sounding breakdowns. Same thing that creates an appeal for modern hardcore (bark bark scream scream blastbeat BREAKDOWN!!!!!)

Some reasons why it appeals to folks.

1) The aggression

2) The sonic innovation

3) It's dance music (despite elsongs' assertion that it doesn't feel like dance music) and compositionally it's based around the tension/release points of the slow build and the drop. The drops in Dubstep are huge, and give you lots of 'Oh shit!' moments. Kids like the 'Oh shit!' moments.

4) It bums old people out. One more reason kids like it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

It's those huge, heavy-sounding breakdowns. Same thing that creates an appeal for modern hardcore (bark bark scream scream blastbeat BREAKDOWN!!!!!)

Well said. Posted same idea at the same time.

I like huge, heavy-sounding breakdowns. I like tension/release. I like sonic innovation (actually, that's not true...I *LOVE* sonic innovation! :D ). I like dance music. I like "Oh shit!" moments. I like bumming out old people.

I just don't connect with this at all so far.

Oh well, even I can't like everything, I suppose. I won't be listening to this or reggaeton soon, I suppose. :D

At the end of the day this is the ultimate subjective test and it's more valid than anything else. No arguing with that.

Oh well, even I can't like everything, I suppose.

Absolutely....I've never been able to get into Steely Dan.

Dubstep really connected with me, though.

Cool.

I like a couple of Steely Dan albums, "Aja" and "Can't Buy a Thrill". But I totally get why someone would not like them.

The funny one for me is Rush. I like Rush. Not everything, but "2112" and "Hemispheres" for sure, and some other stuff. And I don't know why I like them. The guy's voice is godawful, I don't typically go for those sorts of guitar tones, and the drummer can be overly busy and not groove. The lyrics can be comical. And on and on. In yet....I like them. Go figure.

Y'all are talking about what's commonly referred to as "brostep," the bastardized off-shoot popularized by Skrillex et al, and which is sonically more similar to modern electro house (the aggressive, distorted sounds and whatnot) than dubstep. To hear actual dubstep, check out guys like Burial, Benga, and Kode 9.

I'm not saying I don't dig some of that Skrillex-y stuff, just saying that not all dubstep sounds like someone screaming in your face. In fact, most of it doesn't, despite popular conception.

Y'all are talking about what's commonly referred to as "brostep," the bastardized off-shoot popularized by Skrillex et al, and which is sonically more similar to modern electro house (the aggressive, distorted sounds and whatnot) than dubstep. To hear actual dubstep, check out guys like Burial, Benga, and Kode 9.

I'm not saying I don't dig some of that Skrillex-y stuff, just saying that not all dubstep sounds like someone screaming in your face. In fact, most of it doesn't, despite popular conception.

Listening to Kode9 "A Black Sun" - creepy, but decidedly lacking in bottom end, which explains why Skrillex wildly exceeded them in popularity...

Funny. I got into this very discussion with my EDM-obsessed teenager the other day when he told me that, despite major magazines like Rolling Stone and Electronic Musician categorizing Skrillex as a "dubstep" artist, he is NOT dubstep. Rather, he's a combination of brostep and electro house. I told him that this is precisely why I've always HATED genre labels when it comes to music. At the end of the day, I find them basically useless. Just play me some music. If I like it, I like it. If I don't like, I don't like it. And I don't give a rat's tail what the genre may or may not be called. :cool:

Noah

It's true but I knew that what the folks 'round here were referring to as 'Dubstep' (and I assume the OP was as well) was the Skrillex/Flux Pavillion/Knife Party/Borgoe/Zedd/Bassnectar brand of Electro House / Brostep / Mumbaton.

It's true but I knew that what the folks 'round here were referring to as 'Dubstep' (and I assume the OP was as well) was the Skrillex/Flux Pavillion/Knife Party/Borgoe/Zedd/Bassnectar brand of Electro House / Brostep / Mumbaton.

Yeah, I realize when anyone says "dubstep" nowadays, that's the sound they're referring to. All's I'm saying is calling it dubstep isn't really correct. Because I'm anal like that. :laugh:

Skrillex/Bassnectar/Datsik/etc are to dubstep what heavy metal is to rock.

Funny. I got into this very discussion with my EDM-obsessed teenager the other day when he told me that, despite major magazines like Rolling Stone and Electronic Musician categorizing Skrillex as a "dubstep" artist, he is NOT dubstep. Rather, he's a combination of brostep and electro house. I told him that this is precisely why I've always HATED genre labels when it comes to music. At the end of the day, I find them basically useless. Just play me some music. If I like it, I like it. If I don't like, I don't like it. And I don't give a rat's tail what the genre may or may not be called. :cool:

Noah

I don't think any music genre has ever pushed labeling as far as the mass of classifications we get for electronic music. You see kids posting things on forums like "That is not electronic_classification_of_the_day because you are using the wrong bass drum sound." Who cares? For me there are three classes of electronic music; like it, don't like it, and tolerable filler. The rest, IMHO, is just speak created by DJ's trying to make their name by coming up with a new label.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Listening to Kode9 "A Black Sun" - creepy, but decidedly lacking in bottom end, which explains why Skrillex wildly exceeded them in popularity...

Not all dubstep is super heavy on the bass, but try this track for a better example (actual song starts about 20 or so seconds in)

Not working for me at all. Reminds me vaguely of certain elements of an electronic composition I created about 11 years ago... except his thing doesn't really go anywhere....

http://tindeck.com/listen/wgmn

Not all dubstep is super heavy on the bass, but try this track for a better example (actual song starts about 20 or so seconds in)

[video:youtube]

Okay, now this is the first music that someone has called dubstep that I like. I wouldn't have known this was dubstep if you hadn't told me. It reminds me a little bit of some of the music Spoek Mathambo incorporates in his rapping.

[video:youtube]

~~~~~~~~

I listened to Kode9 but found it really dull, sorry:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0VSvu-ro0

I don't think any music genre has ever pushed labeling as far as the mass of classifications we get for electronic music. You see kids posting things on forums like "That is not electronic_classification_of_the_day because you are using the wrong bass drum sound."

Yep. Genre labeling does seem to have proliferated in the EDM world to an astonising degree, as evidenced by THIS LIST on Wikipedia. And the EDM fans (see, e.g., my 14 year-old son) seem WAY too emotional about making sure the right labels get used.

For me there are three classes of electronic music; like it, don't like it, and tolerable filler.

Exactly. :thu:

Well, have you looked at the list of rock music genres?

People can get pretty obsessive over those too.

I take genre classification with a grain of salt as well. I either like something or I don't. Genres exist, however, to make connections between artists and between artists and their audiences, and in that way, categorizing music can be useful.

I take genre classification with a grain of salt as well. I either like something or I don't. Genres exist, however, to make connections between artists and between artists and their audiences, and in that way, categorizing music can be useful.

I agree. It can serve as purpose in as much as it helps trace the music and describe it. The same can be said of jazz, though there are fewer (though still numerous) labels in jazz. I'd say in jazz we tend to label music a little more by the artist/era or label sound rather than inventing a name for whatever happened in the second half of 1963. Example: I might be heard saying something like, 'They have a mid 60s Miles Quintet vibe pre Filles De Kilimanjaro' to describe a group and a sound. And in so doing I'm effectively doing the same thing all the stupid labels in EDM do.

I definitely favor the former approach.

Archived