Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: New Year's resolutions?

Winston Psmith

Not the "I'm going to join a gym and become Iron Man" kind of resolution, but good luck if that's part of your plan for 2013. I mean things we might really accomplish, in relation to our music. Here's my short list:

1) Get more music done. Nothing new here, but always at the top of the list.

2)Finish my project guitars. I've been working on the pink V, which has turned out to be less challenging than I thought, once I pulled the old trem. I also recently found a Squier SE Strat in my local pawn shop - it was in very nice shape, and well worth $60 + tax. I've said it before, but you've got to love a guitar you can take apart and reassemble with a Phillips-head screwdriver.

3) Get out more. There's a lot of music in my area, and I just haven't been getting out to hear enough, or play enough. It's not about money, there are plenty of free gigs, open mics and local jams, it's about inertia - no excuses.

4) Get back to the roots. A lot of the local music scene is Blues/Rock, Jazz, Punk, Celtic music or Jam Rock, along with a healthy Electronic community. It's time for me to spread myself out a bit, maybe even join a cover band?

5) Okay, the only heavy one - Be more grateful. I'm very lucky to be sitting here, drinking my coffee, and thinking about how I want to improve my music life in the coming year. I may not be rich, famous, nor particularly good-looking, but I'm still here, with all my digits, and my vital organs. It's easy to forget how fortunate we really are, when the shit gets deep, I just want to make more of an effort to remember, when that happens.

That's what I've got to offer. Anybody else?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned on another, similar thread earlier that I planned on getting back to more playing. I also mentioned an accident that sliced two fingers on my left hand pretty bad.

I'm happy to report their recovery was faster than anticipated, and I'll be picking up the old Epi any day now.

Indeed, Winston, your #5 is probably the most important one, and oddly the hardest for too many to obtain. For years, I myself have tried to use the guideline of the old addage, "I used to cry about having no shoes until I met a man with no feet". No matter how bad one might think their situation is, all they need do is look around at the people in Uganda, or the eathquake survivors in Haiti, and realize they don't have it all that bad.

I hope your new year goes better for you than YOU hope!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Indeed Winston - # 5 is the key to the universe.

You cannot be sad, depressed, jealous, angry, bitter, mean spirited, anxious or any other negative while feeling gratitude.

If everyone spent time each day counting their blessings we'd all be better off.

I am especially grateful for my wife, my family, my friends AND my pals here on the forum.

I hope 2013 is a joyous year for everyone!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

It's not the journey through life that's important, it's the people you meet along the way...I won't forget to stop and smell the roses and to count the blessings of having friends and family. Wishing all of you success in your resolutions. I don't know what mine are just yet, but they are centered on trying to do good things... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Ok

I am trying to give up TV , except for news 1 hour everyday.

Last two years was pizza, except for my birthday and the week end before xmas. Tv will be the hardest thing I ever gave up for new years.

as to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, I have tried to live everyday with that in my mind, with some failure and success.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Winston your #5 is my #1. At times, I'm very guilty of playing the "poor me" card. The other day I looked around my studio and realized I'm not doing too bad.

Other than that I've made a couple of personal goals:

1 - Stop wasting money on crap and save it to buy that Stratocaster I've been talking about for the last few years. Credit is not an option.

2 - Stop getting mad at poor playing. Practice, practice, practice! No excuses.

Happy New Year everyone! I've learned so much by being an active member and I am grateful for the online friendships I have here.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

I try not to do things I don't dig, but I have a boss and a wife to keep happy....

Musically, right now I'm not playing with anyone, so there's no one else to please, LOL - just not play loud at 3 am, because the neighbors get upset.

Seriously, we DO need to make time to work on the music we'd really like to play... and I have no excuse if I don't!

I don't make New Years resolutions meeself. I never kept to them when I did anyways.

I have no trouble doing self discipline, I practice daily in several different areas, I exercise daily in several different ways.

I am gonna just keep on keepin on, for as long as I can........

Musically, right now I'm not playing with anyone, so there's no one else to please, LOL.

It's fun to play with the other guys, but I really appreciate playing solo as it gives me the freedom that I need...

Take care, Larryz

Archived