Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos or Kronos x ?

I-missRichardTee

I need help deciding between these two

I see the Kronos can load VST

Can I do just fine with the Kronos ?

If someone could give me some perspectives on this decision

Thank you and Happy New Year

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I need help deciding between these two

I see the Kronos can load VST

Can I do just fine with the Kronos ?

If someone could give me some perspectives on this decision

Thank you and Happy New Year

are you clear on the difference between these 2 models ( extra Ram and extra SSD

?

http://www.korg.com/kronosx

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

You can upgrade the Kronos to the X...........same machine!
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I think the OP may be misunderstanding the "load VST' thing. I've seen several threads at Korg Forums that tell you how to "SAMPLE" your own VST's and add them to the Kronos. I think this may be where the confusion comes from. But no, it will not load VST's directly. It requires a translator program and lots of patience.

As far as differences go, you can make a Kronos into a Kronos X easily. You can even put in a bigger SSD than the X has if you want. Plus, regular Kronos are priced lower now that the X is out. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

So then it is mainly an issue of economics

If I don't need the extra memory, the original Kronos is equal to the newer Kronos X. Correct?

I just want to be certain that AFTER. buying the ( original ) Kronos I don't regret not buying the newer incarnation X for some small unforeseen detail that the X provides

And the above nicely leads to the other question. VST and the Kronos

Maybe I misunderstood but I thought it was Busch who has said that he has A large number of what I may well be falsely attributing to VST plug ins in his Kronos X.

Can someone ( Busch ;). ) help clarify this for me? I would be happy just to a small handfull of what Busch has in his Kronos X

Thank you. And Happy New Year

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Guitar center ? :)

Is the 73 ( or 76 ? ) in anyway an inferior keybed to the 88?

Im headed to store to see what again .... But, what is the lowest note on the mid size keyboard (73 or 76 ) ?

Wow $2300

Thank you

You can upgrade the Kronos to the X...........same machine!

it would be safest to have an authorized service outlet do this upgrade. More expensive but it definitely preserves the warranty.

If you DIY, you ' might ' get out of warranty.

I did my own Ram upgrade since it was well explained/diagrammed how to complete. The SSD upgrade is a bit more involved.

[70's Songwriter]

Im headed to store to see what again .... But, what is the lowest note on the mid size keyboard (73 or 76 ) ?

Wow $2300

Thank you

if u get the Kronos make sure its 100% factory sealed in box, " A" stock.

[70's Songwriter]

I'm holding out for the Kronos XXX.

with NAMM in 3 weeks, it might be interesting to see if Korg has a Kronos related or new workstation related announcements

[70's Songwriter]

So then it is mainly an issue of economics

If I don't need the extra memory, the original Kronos is equal to the newer Kronos X. Correct?

I just want to be certain that AFTER. buying the ( original ) Kronos I don't regret not buying the newer incarnation X for some small unforeseen detail that the X provides

And the above nicely leads to the other question. VST and the Kronos

Maybe I misunderstood but I thought it was Busch who has said that he has A large number of what I may well be falsely attributing to VST plug ins in his Kronos X.

Can someone ( Busch ;). ) help clarify this for me? I would be happy just to a small handfull of what Busch has in his Kronos X

Thank you. And Happy New Year

Hi,

You should find my latest blog entry to be helpful.

http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/

I go through the different ways of getting third party libraries into the Kronos. Please note that you will need certain software tools for conversion/editing as well as the original libraries.

If you want to list some of the software libraries/VSTs you'd like to see in your Kronos, I could probably give you an idea as to what would be specifically needed.

Busch.

The Kronos does not run VSTs, but VST-generated sounds can be sampled and brought into the Kronos, and some computer based sampled instruments can be converted. Busch explained, "I currently using Sample Robot on the Mac for re-sampling and Translator 6 for the conversion of Kontakt instruments into SFs." See relevant threads at:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2435996/4/Korg_Krome

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2441153/3

He also has a lot of info about this currently posted at http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't know much about VST etc I'm pretty strictly a musician. Are there any interested, player - tech smart member(s) who might be willing to help me out?

I'm in s calif area

I've had Ableton and only used it once on a gig for drum tracks !!

Thank you all

I don't know much about VST etc I'm pretty strictly a musician. Are there any interested, player - tech smart member(s) who might be willing to help me out?

I'm not tech-smart, just tech-acquainted, so I'll try to help:

You may already know a VST is a software plugin (instrument or effect) that requires a host program and hardware in order to render audio. VST is merely a standard (developed by Steinberg) to allow developers to publish to a common platform - and for users to use different products that theoretically play together well in the same sandbox. Of course, the products themselves can be wildly different in terms of what they do, how they do it, and the hardware power they require to render you satisfactory results.

With regard to Kronos, the operating system does not host VST plugins.

However, the Kronos does have sampling capability - you can load your own samples into the Kronos' internal memory and use them much as the factory pre-installed samples.

Busch's blog is the best place to start to begin understanding how to use third-party software instruments in the Kronos. He presumes a basic understanding of how sampling works and how instrument sample products are constructed. He then breaks down in detail how to convert software instruments like VSTs into a format the Kronos can digest and use.

I'm still learning this stuff too. I really love my Kronos and find it a very useful tool in my gig life, and hope to start spending quality time with it this year to start loading samples. I've done with with my Wave (the Nord tools are aimed at the lowest common denominator like me), but not yet with the Kronos.

BTW, you might also like to know I have a very-early edition of the original Kronos. It has had zero issues or problems and I find the RH3 keybed very playable. But I recently played a newer one @ Guitar Center with the "RH3 Made in Japan" action and found it to be substantially faster than mine.

Re. Newer and original keybeds

Is there a serial number that divides the two ( just two, correct ? ) beds?

The issue of sampling into Kronos vs having the whole shebang VST host etc

Causes me to think about how superior having the whole deal is in terms of layers , velocity sensitivity playability

In the Busch post I saw. I didn't see these specific issues addressed

Bottom line

To say you have ivory as a mere sample vs the whole Receptor VST host route- is not playability a major difference ?

I hope that made sense ? One of my New Years resolutions is to be more and more and more clear and unambiguous and articulate and succinct two ;)

Re. Newer and original keybeds

Is there a serial number that divides the two ( just two, correct ? ) beds?

Causes me to think about how superior having the whole deal is in terms of layers , velocity sensitivity playability

Bottom line

To say you have ivory as a mere sample vs the whole Receptor VST host route- is not playability a major difference ?

I hope that made sense ? One of my New Years resolutions is to be more and more and more clear and unambiguous and articulate and succinct two ;)

"Is there a serial number that divides the two ( just two, correct ? ) beds? "

the simple answer is no. There is an amount of confused/conflicted info by owners if the serial # is any guide. I have #3xx from August 2011 and my 88 has a good feel. Zero problems.

You might have to try a high serial # Kronos ( 1st gen) and see if you can find a corresponding new 1st gen Kronos. The challenge you face is the Kronos first generation is on closeout and the X model has replaced it

[70's Songwriter]

Bottom line

Playability is high, actually very high. Within the Kronos the pianos have very low latency and the disk streaming NEVER glitches. When bringing these software-based pianos in you are either dealing with the original WAVs mapped in the same way as they are in the original software piano OR in the case of auto-sampling (as you would with Ivory) you are re-creating sample layers. The Kronos supports up to 16 stereo velocity layers at the program level. It is also very easy (easier than in Kontakt) to edit the layers and change how they fall in the velocity response curve. So again, playability is very high. It is not hard to make a re-creation of a software piano in the Kronos that is every bit as playable and responsive as the original, sometimes even more so.

It's the details, release samples, noises, sampled resonance, etc. that are more difficult to re-create. The HD-1 engine has limits in this regard which is why Korg created the SGX-1 engine specifically for APs. If you require all of the detail elements found in an Ivory, for example, those are going to be much more challenging to re-create properly. But I've used software pianos like Ivory live and I turned off all of the detail elements (release samples, noises, etc.) because A) they added VERY little live and B) they were often the cause of glitches/pops.

You can certainly go the Receptor route. I had one. I don't any more.

Busch.

I have a quick question about the keybed on Kronos. I have the 73 non-X version that I bought about 6 months ago. Sometimes when I am playing piano patches, I detect a kind of latency or lag when striking a note. I think there may have been some forum posts a while ago talking about faulty keybeds. Is there any buzz on this topic lately? Did Korg acknowledge faulty keybeds and fix the problem starting at a certain serial number?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

I have a quick question about the keybed on Kronos. I have the 73 non-X version that I bought about 6 months ago. Sometimes when I am playing piano patches, I detect a kind of latency or lag when striking a note. I think there may have been some forum posts a while ago talking about faulty keybeds. Is there any buzz on this topic lately? Did Korg acknowledge faulty keybeds and fix the problem starting at a certain serial number?

korg has made no announcement regarding serial numbers of defective keybeds.

The problem you are describing does not sound like the problem others had with the keybed. The problem was that notes would completely cut out after being played...not that the sound would lag when the key was pressed?

I would contact Korg support if you really think it is an issue.

Wow $2300

Thank you

if u get the Kronos make sure its 100% factory sealed in box, " A" stock.

Greg there is a company in here in NYS carrying them at $1999 for the 6 note Kronos. Have you noticed that there is a lot of B Stock going around?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived