Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aliens Ate My Buick.

George88

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to say my fave TMDR records are Flat Earth and Astronauts and Heretics...

Mulu The Rain Forest off Flat Earth is a really cool tune...been tinkering with a jazz version of it on Hammond...

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I find that album to be purile rubbish.

"And then I saw her... she was a bright red '64 GTO with fins and gills like some giant piranha fish, some obscene phallic symbol on wheels... little rivers of anticipation ran down my inseam as I kicked those five hundred italian horses into life and left reality behind me: fifty, sixty, seventy miles an hour...OH! My hand slipped inside the belt of my trousers as we passed eighty, ninety miles an hour...and as we hit the magic hundred, my love exploded all over her bright pink leather interior... and at that moment, I thought of my mother..." c. '88 TMDR

What do you find puerile about that? ;)

But seriously, "Budapest by Blimp" is worth the price of admission alone. Gorgeous textures, evocative lyrics. There's some filler on AAMB for sure, but I wouldn't dismiss it.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Not sure I see the steely dan influence on AAMB...more George Clinton. In any case, I'm a fan of that record, especially "My Brain is like a Sieve". Saw this tour in Chicago and it was one of the better shows I've ever seen.

My overall fave of TD is The Flat Earth....but probably in the minority on that one.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I didn't mean to suggest that Steely Dan had any influence on the record. I find it to be a superb record that had similar influences. I prefer that record and Budapest By Blimp is really great. I was being snarky and suggesting that it's better than the Dan, IMHO.

TMDR? What does that stand for?

Thomas Morgan Dolby Robertson. Full name.

My overall fave of TD is The Flat Earth....but probably in the minority on that one.

Probably mine as well, although "Golden Age of Wireless" still holds up after all these years. When I saw him this year, he kicked off the show with "Commercial Breakup"... talk about some funky chords. There's a lot going on in that tune.

I make software noises.

[45 minutes later...]

Damn, I had forgotten how good this album is. Thanks to George88 for the reminder!

Personal track favourite: Pulp Culture...it just oozes groove.

Definitely. Though now I remember the first time I ever heard Stevie's "Have A Talk With God" (years after Aliens came out) and thought, "Oh, so that's where he got that!"

Love Thomas Dolby. 'Flying North, Mulu, Hyperactive...'

I don't know if others see it this way, but I always thought of his music as being very soulful, with a lot of emotional resonance. Just the opposite of Steely Dan, in other words :)

Here's an extra smiley face on that one: :)

Archived