Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Macs, interfaces, and latency

AnotherScott

Not sure where I heard this but I do remember reading that a cluttered desktop will slow your computer down. Never heard the explanation why. Does this describe the account that you were experiencing more latency?

I did not attempt to troubleshoot what was causing the latency, when I solved it simply by switching to my "vanilla" user account. Yes, there was probably a bunch of stuff on my desktop, but I can't say whether or not that was a factor.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't have much time to post at length, but Cubase 6 reports the following latencies on my '09 MacPro:

Avid Mbox 3 Pro: In 4.785 ms Out 4.785 ms

Focusrite Saffire LE: 5.941 ms Out 5.941 ms

Built-in Audio: In 6.848 ms Out 6.939 ms

I'll run some projects later this week and see how the different devices hold up.

Thanks, Zephonic!

The plot kinda thickens, doesn't it?

Tempting as it is, I'll refrain from drawing conclusions, until the conclusive tests are performed.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Don't have much time to post at length, but Cubase 6 reports the following latencies on my '09 MacPro:

Core 2 Duo, yes?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Core 2 Duo, yes?

MacPros have Xeons. Mine is like this model:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.66-early-2009-nehalem-specs.html

but with 12GB of RAM and 3 extra 1TB hdd's. I think the CPU's consumer-equivalent is the Core i7-920.

I was working on a song that had 9 VI's, and about 9 audio tracks, ASIO meter hovering around 30% while using the Mbox3pro at 128/44.1

With the built-in audio the ASIO load didn't increase noticeably, I'd say it was about the same. Most of my projects are not very heavy, so real stress-testing would require an arrangement designed to max out the system.

But Cubase/ASIO is definitely the bottleneck. I can cause the ASIO meter to jump while the iStat CPU monitor shows that the damn thing is practically idling.

MacPros have Xeons.

Whoops, sorry, I saw MacPro and thought MacBook Pro!

but with 12GB of RAM and 3 extra 1TB hdd's. I think the CPU's consumer-equivalent is the Core i7-920.

More RAM and faster storage (RAID?) won't change processor speed, but may allow it to work with greater amounts of data without bogging down. That is, on a simple setup, like triggering a single soft synth, I don't think extra memory (beyond what is normally needed for that synth to operate glitch-free) or more/faster storage will yield any greater performance (i.e. reduced latency), but a faster processor might.

Biggest game changer if you want more performance, get an SSD drive or any of the new Fusion style drives that will show up this year.

Your laptop will page VM pages to SSD which is far-far faster than a mechanical arm moving back and forth (even a hardware buffer in the drive won't help in some cases.)

Biggest game changer if you want more performance, get an SSD drive or any of the new Fusion style drives that will show up this year.

Yes, I'm sold on SSD. My Air has one, and I just picked up a 250 gb external thunderbolt SSD so I can work with more/bigger libraries without maxing out my internal drive which is getting pretty packed. I'm not convinced about the Fusion drives for this purpose, though. I think I'd rather know that I put the libraries I want onto SSD, rather than count on some algorithm guessing at what I most likely will want there.

Archived