Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Afraid to buy a tube amp...

-Will-

Yes, they are all solid state but I wasn't asked nor did I compare SS watts to tube watts (ie. apples and oranges). The question was why I would pick the III over the II. I would not let the fact that the III has more SS watts stop me from picking it over the II or the I. In fact, I like the extra wattage. I know tubers with less wattage put out better than SS rated wattage. A lot of guys like a small watt amps so they can push them to "faster, warmer tone and overdrive". But these Mustangs are modeling amps that will get you some great clean tones and overdriven sounds without pushing them at all. For me, the III would be the better choice for the reasons given. It probably only puts out 50watts of the rated 100...not diss'ing the other two models or comparing them to the smaller tube amps like a Blues Jr. or your Lucky7. They can all sound good in the right hands...
Take care, Larryz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, don't misunderstand me, I wasn't criticizing or directing that at YOUR post, Larry- I was addressing Will's concern over the Mustang III being so high-powered when he was considering low-watt tube-amps, that's all. 'Scool. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was going more along the lines of him picking the I over the III because he would never need the higher wattage of the III and then settling on the II because of the 12" speaker. If asked what I would do, I would go with the III, as SS amps are overrated and you get about 1/2 the wattage. I like having the volume to do a small clubs if I need it. Plus you get a better speaker, etc...I think he had ruled out the lower wattage tubers due to price. I do agree with your comparisons and that he may find some good deals in used tube equipment, if the seller has good reviews...that Egnater Randy is selling sounds like a great deal too! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Thank you Caev....and yes, I am a stand up guy.

People that don't know me should know that I ALWAYS keep my gear in pristine condition.

I started that in the 70's because I couldn't afford to replace gear that I had bought. ;)

Anything that I sell...NEVER has any dings or dents is always in proper working order.

When I sell something....it's usually because I have redundant gear or I want to go else where with my gear in terms of tone.

With my Egnater Rebel 20...it is simply redundant.

I bought a Fender Supersonic 20 and I also bought a nice 5E3 clone.

Too much gear takes up too much space. ;)

I've also got a BBE Maxcom for $125 as well as a DBX twin 31 EQ for the same price if anyone is interested.

All one owner and new condition. :rawk:

Randy

let's talk, pm sent

SCORE! Welcome aboard Zonker!

Take care, Larryz

Cool; yeah, welcome, Zonker! :cool:

I was going more along the lines of him picking the I over the III because he would never need the higher wattage of the III and then settling on the II because of the 12" speaker. If asked what I would do, I would go with the III, as SS amps are overrated and you get about 1/2 the wattage. I like having the volume to do a small clubs if I need it. Plus you get a better speaker, etc...I think he had ruled out the lower wattage tubers due to price. I do agree with your comparisons and that he may find some good deals in used tube equipment, if the seller has good reviews...that Egnater Randy is selling sounds like a great deal too! :cool:

Oh, yeah, good call. :cool:

Oh, I didn't know Zonker was a new guy.

Welcome Zonker and I have your PM and your reply is waiting.

Oh....and ball park shipping to northern and western to Kentucky via UPS ground is around $61.00.

Sorry, buyer pays shipping at the price of this amp. :rawk:;)

Randy

"Just play!"

On my experience, the 5 watts won't work, but your church may be different than mine ;) see below...

One of the other guys at church had a Mesa 25, and that seemed a bit overkill to me, but maybe Jay just liked being loud ;) ;)

I played an AC 15 the other day, and that might fit the bill nicely if you want to go the tube direction.

I've gone with a Roland Cube 80 and a handful of pedals for the church stuff I do. A bit more versatile as far as tone vs. volume for my particular situation. We aren't putting the stage instruments through a PA, it's a smaller venue in that way.

There's also a new Vox AC15 VR, which is a hybrid tube/solid state amp (a 12ax7 is the "power amp," which is then "amplified" by another larger solid state power amp, which supposedly sounds like a tube amp while enjoying the hassle-free thing of a solid state (though I should say over the past 4 years of gigging regularly with an AC15 CC1 and AC30 CC2 I haven't had one maintenance thing to do with either of them, not even tube replacement).

http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvereactor/ac15vr/

Hey guys that are interested in my Egnater Rebel 20....

I hate to shoot myself in the foot....but you may be interested in this STUPID DEAL OF THE DAY.

Check it out.

Randy

http://tinyurl.com/9drvuj8

Like I told ya, stand-up guy... :thu::cool:

Just as a general suggestion, don't forget to check out store demo sales, especially from reputable retailers.

Example: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSA30d1

Usually, the demos at least get a professional looking-over, and in some cases, you get the warranty,

Plus, even though a demo may have seen a lot of use, it won't have been through the same kind of torture as someone's gigging amp.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Just bought a used Mustang III for $150... seemed like a decent deal. Didn't have the Ableton Software... but I thought is was too good of a deal to pass up.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Really interested on how you like the amp and on the Ableton software? Minte on another thread has questions on the recording software that is recommended for the amp and wants to record using his Mp3 tracks, etc...maybe you can give him/us more details? thanks...
Take care, Larryz

I didn't get the Ableton software... unless I can ping Fender and see if I can get a copy. Original owner kept it.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Thanks for reminding me of the software name and I passed it on to Minte...I'll look into my ability to get the software as well. You can google on the Ableton site for FAQ's... still want to know what you think of the amp? power? speaker? effects? footswitch? etc... I'm still stuck on the 65 Deluxe settings. :idk
Take care, Larryz

Well, I got the III, it's 100 watts, 12" Celestion speaker with the 2 button footswitch. The footswitch seems to just go up and down the presets, but I haven't made it far enough to see if you can change the parameters.

Anyway, I've only spent about an hour with it so far cycling through the presets, they seem to sound decent, but at a minimum I'll go in via FUSE and turn some of the effects off on some of the presets.

Anyway, tonight or tomorrow I am going to download the manuals for the amp and for FUSE and go through them. I've give an update when I figure out what I'm doing.

I wasn't real impressed with Egnaters myself. I didn't spend a lot of time with the one I messed with, but I wasn't able to get a tone of it that didn't sound stifled amd constipated. The modeling amps are getting better all the time.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived