Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginner Gear

Zach S

Hey guys, new poster here. I have been playing guitar for about 6 months and I love it! I was curious though on what you guys think of some gear that I am considering purchasing. What acoustic guitars do you like that are in the $300 range. Also, the amp I do have is a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt, and I am wondering what kind of piece of equipment I would need so that I could just use a footswitch or something to change between a clean and distorted sound so I wouldnt have to manually hit the different presets I have on my amp, instead I can just hit something with my foot and keep playing smoothly with a different sound. Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yamaha FG730 series is about 300$ and I know 4 guys who own it and its a quality instrument, Local store in Pittsburgh area who sells it for 300 and on sale it comes with a Yamaha case. Very good deal.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Also, the amp I do have is a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt, and I am wondering what kind of piece of equipment I would need so that I could just use a footswitch or something to change between a clean and distorted sound so I wouldnt have to manually hit the different presets I have on my amp, instead I can just hit something with my foot and keep playing smoothly with a different sound. Thanks

The Vyper footswitch will give you access to more features on the amp, but it's really essential for players who have the larger Vyper models, with more effects and the built-in Looper. You can't access the Looper without the footswitch, IIRC.

For acoustic guitars, look into Seagull, while you're at it, especially used ones. They're made in Canada, using North American woods, and they're very nice guitars for the price. Also you can save a lot of money on good used gear.

For your Distortion sound, there are plenty of inexpensive Overdrive & Distortion pedals out there, you just need to find a sound that appeals to you. The orange Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal runs around $40, less if you find a used one, and it's a decent, if not inspired, Rock Distortion. You can crank it into Metal territory, or dial it down for a Blues/Rock kind of sound. The yellow SD-1 Super Overdrive is another decent pedal. For an affordable Tube Screamer kind of sound, a lot of players like the Bad Monkey Overdrive, which costs around $45-50.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I realize none of us have asked what type of sound you're looking for, Blues, Metal, Punk, so you may want to sit down with a few different Overdrive/Distortion pedals, to find the sound you want. There are probably more Overdrive/Distortion pedals than any other type of pedal made, so you have lots to choose from. I suggested the DS-1 because it's affordable, and it has a useable range of sounds.

The one Vyper model I'd seen had a lot of Metal and High-Gain presets, and not much else. If you're looking for a cleaner amp tone, overall, with effects modeling, you might want to consider a Fender Mustang, when you're ready for an amp upgrade, and at some point, you will want an amp upgrade.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I like to play rock, mainly stuff like rhcp, the white stripes, the strokes, pearl jam, nirvana, oasis. I played on the mustang III in a store once and absolutely loved it. I want to get a telecaster really badly as my next guitar because i just loved the way it felt in the store (and because jack white has one) but I'm not sure when its time to upgrade my guitar and amp. I currently have the Epiphone SG les paul, its one of the lower end models. Should I be playing in a band for a little while before getting new equipment. Also, when I looked at the DS-1 on amazon people had very negative reviews of it. I've narrowed down my options to three pedals, the danelectro cool cat, the little big muff, and the Bad Monkey Tube-Overdrive Analog-Distortion Pedal(You recommended this one). What do you guys think of those?

Oh, one other thing I forgot. Is the American Special Telecaster better or worse than the Telecaster Highway One because I guess they discontinued that model.

Welcome aboard Zach! If you like the Mustang III, you can have the amp for about the same price as those 3 pedals. You can buy the optional foot switch to change patches...continue using your SG until you save up some bucks for that Tele...There are so many Tele's on the wall at GC you can go down there and test them with that amp. I would be more concerned with how they feel and sound than the marketing names. Just concentrate on getting the one you like best in your price range. Then make them bring out the same model from the store room so you get one that hasn't been abused as a floor model. If you go with the floor model make them lower the price and point out the dings, scratches, etc...
Take care, Larryz

Did I wait? Nope,

I started looking for better equipment as soon as I had saved up some cash to buy it with. Bands don't last all that long and I wouldn't worry about whether or not I was in one. They can inspire you to invest in better equipment but that is still based upon what you need and what you can afford. You have an idea of the genre that interests you today and you should try to craft the best sound you can whether or not you're in a band. Over the years, your tastes may change and you might go in a whole new direction which dicatates different kinds of equipment. I say, go for the sound and genre you like best right now and purchase what you can afford to start out with. If you learn to play good with what you have, you will always get better band offers if that's what interests you. Get a decent guitar and have it set up, they can always mic a small practice amp if you need more volume...

Take care, Larryz

Before you invest in more equipment, consider investing in some lessons, if you haven't already. A lot of pros will go back to an old teacher from time to time. An experienced pair of eyes and ears can be invaluable.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I will! Thanks. But what I was trying to say is when you started out, did you wait until you were in a band to get better equipment?

The only organized group of musicians I belonged to- before joining a guitar circle this year- was a school orchestra...as a cellist.

All of my guitar-erery has been for my personal enjoyment, and my gear has improved whenever I felt like getting better gear.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Before you invest in more equipment, consider investing in some lessons, if you haven't already. A lot of pros will go back to an old teacher from time to time. An experienced pair of eyes and ears can be invaluable.

I started taking lessons about 2 months ago and I have learned a ton.

About Takamine guitars - the higher-end models ($500+) can be very nice guitars, but the budget models aren't very good at all. Almost two different brands, in terms of quality and feel.

I hope this doesn't sound smug, and forgive me if it does, but I'd tell you to figure out two things before you by a rig you can gig with;

1, figure out what kind of music you want to play. That is going to determine what you need, mostly. If you're gonna play rootsy sounding music, you probably won't need or want a full stack with a high gain head and a pointy guitar with a floyd. If you're playing thrash/metal/modern rock, you might.

2,figure out where you are going to play it. Big rigs don't sound good in small rooms. With most amps, you need to open them up loud to get what they are made to deliver, and if everybody in the room is being squashed like bugs against the back wall of the room by the sound pressure of your amp/band, you won't work much.

I saw a band backing a national singer at a small club the night before last. The main guitarist was using s beat-up strat through an old 20 watt Fender Musicmaster bass amp. The other guitarist was sitting in and he played through what looked like a newer small solid-state Fender practice amp. They miked everything so they didn't lack volume, and were able to push their amps to make them perform. They sounded incredible! They were familiar enough with their gear to make it work. Whatever you decide to buy, work with it, practice with it. Get to know what it will do and how to make what do it.

This is just a suggestion, but you might try to find out what kind of music is getting booked by club owners in your area, and/or as far out as you're prepared to travel to play. It's not much use spending big bux on a live rig to play music nobody will hire you to use. It's also a good idea to check out what other players are using and see if you like the sound they get out of it.

In short, figure out what kind of music you want to play and what you need to play it, then get it and get used to it. When you've done all that, find out where you can play it. Then you'll be ready to play out. Many blessings and good luck!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I hope this doesn't sound smug, and forgive me if it does, but I'd tell you to figure out two things before you by a rig you can gig with;

1, figure out what kind of music you want to play. That is going to determine what you need, mostly. If you're gonna play rootsy sounding music, you probably won't need or want a full stack with a high gain head and a pointy guitar with a floyd. If you're playing thrash/metal/modern rock, you might.

2,figure out where you are going to play it. Big rigs don't sound good in small rooms. With most amps, you need to open them up loud to get what they are made to deliver, and if everybody in the room is being squashed like bugs against the back wall of the room by the sound pressure of your amp/band, you won't work much.

I saw a band backing a national singer at a small club the night before last. The main guitarist was using s beat-up strat through an old 20 watt Fender Musicmaster bass amp. The other guitarist was sitting in and he played through what looked like a newer small solid-state Fender practice amp. They miked everything so they didn't lack volume, and were able to push their amps to make them perform. They sounded incredible! They were familiar enough with their gear to make it work. Whatever you decide to buy, work with it, practice with it. Get to know what it will do and how to make what do it.

This is just a suggestion, but you might try to find out what kind of music is getting booked by club owners in your area, and/or as far out as you're prepared to travel to play. It's not much use spending big bux on a live rig to play music nobody will hire you to use. It's also a good idea to check out what other players are using and see if you like the sound they get out of it.

In short, figure out what kind of music you want to play and what you need to play it, then get it and get used to it. When you've done all that, find out where you can play it. Then you'll be ready to play out. Many blessings and good luck!

Lol, good advice besides the part about playing what club owners want. I'm not going to sell out already!

I went to my local guitar center and tried out equipment and guitars for about 4 1/2 hours. I tried out the Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss BD-2, Boss OS-2 and the MXR '78 Custom Bad-Ass Distortion pedal. Out of the Boss pedals, the only one that appealed to me was the OS-2, and I'm not going to go the Boss route. The MXR was my favorite out of the ones I tried out, but I am going to go back there later in the week and compare it to the Big Muff Pi (which I think I will really like).

I also found an amp that I LOVE. The Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Jr NOS 15W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp really spoke to me and it was priced at $549. I'm kind've set on getting that amp so I'm gonna search the internet for the best deal new/used. I'm just not sure when I want to get it.

I didn't try out any acoustic guitars today because I have taken a step back from acoustic and have been drawn more into electric equipment. I do plan on purchasing an acoustic though in the next 5 months. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Price on amp was 529

Archived