Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Merry Christmas and gratitude

timwat

Allow me to be perhaps the first to wish you all a merry Christmas.

At a house party I was playing on Saturday, I was chatting with another KB player friend of mine (not a forum member) who was asking me tons of gear questions - and I quickly realized this poor guy knew close to nothing about what's out there.

Later that night, my bass player remarked that the info I continually get here is miles above what he get from his Talk Bass forum. He noted that clearly, they guys on this forum are far more knowledgeable and expert than the folks he typically runs across online.

So I started telling him all the stuff I see here - someone has a B3 repair question - we got several experienced members with just the right answer.

We got a question about Logic? We got the guy who wrote the book on it here.

We got a question about jazz theory? The finer points of notation? Yup.

We got a transcription question? We got a guy with the scariest pair of ears I've ever seen (that gospel vid answer was insane...)

Question about horn charts? The guy who write TOPs charts is on here.

Question about real world studio work? Umm...Steve Nathan's here.

How does this board work? Mike Martin, Dave Weiser chime in...

Samples for the Kronos? Busch is loaded for bear.

Encouragement for a guy like me when I want to quit? Yeah, you guys have been there for me in spades.

So thank you and much appreciation for all of you on this board. Experts, friends, colleagues and mentors...much love and thanks this Christmas season.

Tim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very grateful to get to read the posts of so many incredibly talents keyboardists in one spot.

I am most grateful that the many great players that frequent this forum don't live near me, or I would get no work.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Merry Christmas to all, and ditto on the OP. Tons of great information here, some great minds, and some scary talent.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

A joyous holiday season to all! Thanks to everyone for another year of insight, wit, and some really wonderful music.

--Ken

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

And great friendships. Once again, I'd like to thank the MWKCFH contingent for having me. I had a great time up there. I hope to meet more KCers in the future.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have told several times what I feel I have gotten in the 12 years as a KC member, but just to recap:

- A place where just about every technical question is likely to receive an helpful answer;

- A place to meet a truckload of talented musicians from all genres of music;

- A place to hang and to socialize, or simply a cozy corner to be in when you're tired at night;

- Many friends, ready to give you a hand in every possible sense, including human sympathy and practical support in difficult moments;

- Several 'in-person' friends, as I've met a number of you in real life, despite the fact that I live far away from just about everybody else;

- Advice on use of software and hardware;

- The only and one Dave Bryce. Thanks Dave! :thu:

- Actual hardware gear, including a few really valuable pieces of equipment, which were *given* to me by forum members, or sold at nominal prices, in moments of need;

- Advice and ideas about playing, composing, arranging, programming, surviving the studio or the road, and just about every musical discipline you can think of...

I'll stop here, but you get the point. :)

KC can get a bit sleepy sometimes, but it's just irreplaceable.

[font:Comic Sans MS]MERRY CHRISTMAS[/font]

[font:Microsoft Sans Serif] KEYBOARD CORNER!!!![/font]

Beyond the huge amount of knowledge I've gained from the group here, both actively (with my own threads) and passively (lurking), the huge outpouring of generosity from you guys when I was in a tough spot this year was positively mind-blowing. That's something you just don't forget. :)

Love all you guys (no homo! :freak: )

I will raise my mug of ale to all of you before the Yule log this year and each year hereafter.

Gotta go rev up my chops for Midnight Mass tonight, but first I'll join in wishing everyone here a Merry Christmas! :wave:

I agree with everything good that's been said in this thread about this forum. You guys and gals ROCK! Hope Santa brings you all some cool new gear. Catch you all again Wednesday! :)

><>

Steve

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. A very good musical year ends and lots to look forward for next year, I hope for all here that the coming year is their best ever!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I agree with most of what has already been siad. You folks have saved my ass on more than one occasion. Plus, there aren't many places you can go these days virtually or actually where you can have an adult beverage and kick back and talk about the things we all tend to discuss. My GF still thinks I'm speaking a foreign language. But she's supportive and understanding and I'm thankful she puts up with me. So I wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well. It's great to have all of you as my extended family!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Yes, I have to agree, there are a lot of helpful and cool folks here at KC. My thanks to all for your help, encouragement, and friendship during the year, and I wish all a very Merry Christmas and a very happy and musical 2013 to come. Don
Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

Merry Christmas to all, and nobody's more grateful for KC than I. :cool: I won't speak for SK. ;)

Hey, sixty minute countdown is on! We're debating whether to cut down a tree (by moonlight?) or head out to a friend's party. Think it'll be the latter.

:wave:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/Photoon2012-11-25at0053_zps18d12fe9.jpg

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Merry Christmas to all, and nobody's more grateful for KC than I. :cool: I won't speak for SK. ;)

Hey, sixty minute countdown is on! We're debating whether to cut down a tree (by moonlight?) or head out to a friend's party. Think it'll be the latter.

:wave:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/Photoon2012-11-25at0053_zps18d12fe9.jpg

Hey it's about time already ! Where the heck have you two been ?! A great shot of you both... :thu:

I've had the pleasure of meeting a bunch KCers, and quite a few just this past year. Each one is even cooler in real life than they are on the net - makes for a great hang.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, much respect for all of you and whatever you celebrate this time of year. Can't wait to put more names to faces in 2013!

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm regressing. Local TV has a local choir and pianist battling their way through the standard non-secular carols. The thing is it sounds marvelous. And the looks on their faces. Beatific accomplishment. Joy. Who knows. Much better than the all too bland proficient pro stuff and a happy reminder of what the season is all about. Good tidings and cheer to all. May the Grinch be kept in abeyance for another year.

Archived