Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've Got This Kink in My Neck ...

Cthulhu Fhtagn

About four months ago, I found this '96 MIM J haning in the local pawn shop. Sage green metallic, not a mark on it. Nice, smooth neck. White pickguard. Now, all of a sudden, I've got this jones for those cheap '90s Fenders in those great colors you cant find outside the custom shop anymore.

I've recently "retired" my '51 reissue from live gigging in favor of the '96 J and my Epi Jack Cassidy signature I've purchased a few months prior to that.

Same pawn shop - two months later. Sharp looking P in Midnight Wine, white pickguard, very minor rub on the top of the lower bout. Problem? The plug on the back of the neck that covers the truss rod sticks up a little bit from the back of the neck on the E string side. Maybe a couple of hundreths. Still playable, but since I know it's there, it annoys me.

What are my options? New neck (for a $300 bass)? Sanding (is it finished)? Pound on it with a hunk of wood (and risk damage)? Drop it off at Mike Lull's when I'm in Seattle to visit the in-laws (is it worth the money)?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure of what plug you are talking about. The skunk stripe on the back of the neck? Probably not because that's in the middle of the neck so it couldn't be on the E string side.

Could you send us picture?

Sanding is probably the best way to go and then you are going to have to put some finish on the neck when you are done with that. You shouldn't have to refinish the whole neck. Actually, while you are sanding, you could remove all the finish from the back of the neck. Plenty of people have done that with no ill effects.

You could buy it, bring it to Mike to get an estimate, and if that's too much to spend, resell it.

It's the skunk strip. Seems to be a bit higher on one side (the E string side) than the other. Was probably like that new in 1999.

Point is, it's already bought. Dickered the pawn shop way down when I pointed out the defect. I figured at some time, it might make a nice project or "FrankenBass" if I ever got around to getting my workshop finished. Pic to follow once I drag the camera out and remember my PhotoBucket log on.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

FWIW, I had an MIJ Squier Strat with this same issue. Talked to a luthier who told me this is somewhat common, not structurally important, and to not worry about it.

Had that guitar for a couple of years, never had a problem.

YMMV and all that.

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

That would annoy the heck out of me, I'd have to sand it down. Don't forget to mask off the edges of the fretboard in case you're of the nature to be forgetting such things. Then just curve the sandpaper around her, grab ahold with the palm of your hand and pretend you're back in high school. Or married.
Push the button Frank.

Archived