Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strings VST needed here�

dalpozlead

Hi guys,

I (here comes the GAS) desperately need a Strings VST but living in Brazil it`s hard (and expensive) to get some of the EastWest/Kontact samples so I`m looking for something that could be purchased thru downloading.

My current setup includes a Triton Extreme and a K2661, so considering I have many good strings patches in those gear I wanted to get something more realistic and rich.

Any recommendations?

Tks all!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out Cinematic Strings 2.0 (http://www.cinematicstrings.com/), NI's Session Strings and Session Strings Pro, and ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials (even though Orchestral Essentials includes more than just strings, the section patches included in the library are very nice).

I'm sure someone else may recommend AudioBro's LA Scoring Strings, but I've never been a fan.

I'm not sure what's available by download. Here's what I own:

E/W. (They have a "silver" version that's like $170 I think). Love the sounds, hate the articulations.

Garritan GPO: Old school but still decent. I don't use them much.

Kontakt 4: Hit or miss depending on patch. Marcato and tremolo are great, use them a lot. Sustained aren't as good. Section is better than solo. Overall a good package.

Dimension Pro: Thin sound but the best to use as far as articulation for sustained. I use them the most.

@OP Do you have Kontakt already?

@Cygnus64 - I've noted from your other posts that you're a string player yourself (my orchestral instrument was trombone).

Have you tried the Kirk Hunter ones?

I've heard them, never played with them. I could see them being very good in some styles and not in others. They seemed a bit noisy (surface noise) for anything exposed, but probably work well in a large score with lots of brass.

I'm sure someone else may recommend AudioBro's LA Scoring Strings, but I've never been a fan.

OK, I'll be that guy. I have a lot of the string libraries mentioned, and I use LA Scoring Strings more often than not....especially since version 2.0 with the new ART technology, it really helps smooth out and tailor the sound.

It's downloadable, and they sell a lite version that just includes their "full" samples (no divisis or solo instruments) for much less than their full product.

As you can see, different people like different sounds so definitely go and listen to examples of as many of these libraries as you can to see what catches your ear.

Thanks for the inputs,

I decided to go with the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. The demos I`ve heard and the stand-alone mode really offsets the fact it`s not a downloadable version I`m deciding now which version I`ll go for (gold, platinum, etc..) and wait for the mail to come.

GAS is a *icht :-)

tks!

• 1 year later...
Silvers down to $99 in the U.S . Just bought it a month ago. However not without that usb stealing ilok bs. Its about $50 and a pain in the a$$ when its your first go around. Still, with tweaks the strings can sound insane good.
It's cool Bluzeyone, I have an ilok. I was looking at the silver.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

If you go for it, go Diamond and get the bow change leg patches. HWS runs best on it's own pc. I have the gold version and work on a single mac. It's a 8 core with 16gigs ram and Play doesn't run all that great on it, so I don't use HWS as much as I use LASS or VSL. LASS runs in Kontakt and VSL runs in it's own thing, but VSL has a great interface. My favorite. Lately when I'm doin' strings I use a combo of lass and vsl appas.

Thanks linwood, bluzeyone and Kenny! :cheers: I went with the Symphonic Orchestra Gold, to get my feet wet, and acquire the brass woodwind and percussion capabilities as well. As time goes on I may well be able to justify other more costly and complete collections, but this should get me going. :sleep: Tired after that download and install, but we're up and running! :)

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I use Kirk Hunter Pop & Rock Strings in my Beatles tribute and it works fairly well for some of the earlier Beatles orchestrations. But I find later stuff like Abbey Road could use a more cinematic sounding string library like LASS or EWQL.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Check out Cinematic Strings 2.0 (http://www.cinematicstrings.com/), NI's Session Strings and Session Strings Pro, and ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials (even though Orchestral Essentials includes more than just strings, the section patches included in the library are very nice).

I second the Cinematic Strings. I used it for some arrangements and most people who heard it couldn't believe it was sampled. It's a very rich earthy quality to it. I used it live on a TV show for about a year too and it was well liked,,,,though it's difficult to play authentic strings parts with two hands in a live capacity they still sat well in the mix.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Archived