Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ok...Let's See...McCartney to front Nirvana reunion tonight!

Phnymiboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No if I wear a kilt it is a kilt. If Kanye wears a kilt it is a skirt. ( my family is from southwest of Glasgow)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No if I wear a kilt it is a kilt. If Kanye wears a kilt it is a skirt. ( my family is from southwest of Glasgow)

My Irish, Scottish, and Welsh ancestors all tell you to bugger off. :P

I'm so out of touch with my heritage. I think you're supposed to say fook off if you're from County Cork. I'll have to look that up.

--wmp

Sir Paul rockin the "Bo Diddly square shaped electric resonator banjo"!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/13/article-2247384-167DD822000005DC-190_634x509.jpg

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Clapton had a rockin band, but it was still pedestrian.

Kanye: too much time, and he really doesnt have the legs for a skirt. Maybe he should be a lawyer instead; I know I would appreciate it.

McCartney: fk all you naysayers, Pauls voice sounded much better than Bruces, Daltreys, and Kanyes, and while Im going to go back and listen to the recording, I was digging the Wings stuff. Abe kills. Dont know what the Bo-banjo Nirvana song was, but Pat Smear sounded great. Krist: nice color choices..if youre in Elvis kitchen in 1972.

Alicia Keys: I STILL dont get it.

Stones: Mick would actually be SO MUCH COOLER if he quit jumping around like he had 220volts shoved up his a$$. If he did a fraction of the calisthenics, people would pay more attention, and the band might actually sound better. Trainwreck or not, still liked Jumpin Jack Flash.

Missed the Waters performance, but saw that its on Youtube so Ill catch that tonite.

BonJovi: he wants to be Bruce so bad, but he just really doesnt have the empathy, or the ability to look past his ego to do it. Terrible spokesman. Terrible music. The reason rock sucks so bad.

Dave Grohl is living the best life ever.

Did I mention Kanye was on too long? Kanye onstage is the only time you want Kim to take the mic.

The Who: better than I expected, but Daltrey needs to either drop down a ½ step, or do something about his monitoring problem. Hes too good to sound like that. Zak Starkey: beast. And I liked the slight improve on Love Reign Oer Me. And frankly, if theyre going to tribute Moon, why didnt they do the same for John?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Actually, I thought he looked terrible, but his voice and piano playing were his usual high level. I just dont really love him and forgot he was on. I dug Movin Out though, tuned out after that.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

+1 on Tony's reaction generally.

Sir Paul had a weak moment here or there, but his voice was still strong on MOST of the high stuff, as opposed to Daltry, who still tries to hit the high stuff but ends up a note or two short.

Alicia - still don't get it either. She's beautiful, talented, digs vintage instruments, and has a poised intelligent cool vibe. But her songs don't reach me at all.

Kanye - could not turn the channel fast enough, saw the skirt and the terrible lighting.

Billy - don't care for his crooner stuff, but "You May Be Right" still rocks. He was a little careless and out of control on some of his barrelhouse piano banging.

I thought the Michael Stipe appearance was a bit painful, but the audience seemed to love it.

I missed everybody before the Who.

Moe

---

I couldn't take anymore of that horror show of a rock concert.

I turned it off, turned it back on briefly and then turned it off again. So much of it last night was just awful.

Unfortunately missed Billy Joel.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Paul and Nirvana was certainly unusual...but by god, I wanted to hear a few more tunes because I caught a glimmer of Paul getting grungy with ease.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

The one youtube example above sounds moderately sh*tty, though not musically dead. I think if the audience and TV sounded just as "artificially live", the good artists should have big problems with that. And maybe demand the return of good live amplification systems, instead of mood, music, harmony, and breath - killing digital shit. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I thought McCartney was excellent on the Nirvana thing.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

anyone know who the pianist was that played the opening to "Love Reign o'er Me"?...didn't recognize him for the split second they showed him

I don't know that particular Who tune but if it was the same intro I heard, it was definitely the most musical moment I heard all night by far. Yeah it was white/silver haired pianist.

Regarding BJ-never been a huge fan. I have respected his songwriting abilities. Even when he was in his prime I was never fond of his voice. I did think he sounded better vocally then I've heard him in recent years..except--when he did that short interlude of "Have yourself a merry little xmas", he sounded like a drunk, wise guy from Jersey standing up in a bar, serenading the rest of the drunks. On the other hand when he went right into "NY state of mind", his quality (or lack of) fit better for that song.

Just heard a tad of Paul with his group-I got a feelin' & Live and let die.. He did sound better then recent TV appearances. You could hear the strain in his voice when he went up over an F and wasn't screaming. I think MikeT156 (where has Mike been anyway lately ?) had a good point in another older thread regarding his voice. His vocal chops have a lot to do with how much talking he's been doing the day of the gig. He wants to be accommodating on interviews and everything to everybody, so consequently his voice is thrashed come performance time. Maybe he's holding back more at soundcheck time too. In any case he sounded pretty good. I was happy because I'm one of the hugest fans of his voice...when he was at peak form of course.

Too bad whatever Hammond clone Paul's keybord player was using sounded like crap. Especially compared to the B3 used in the E.Street Band (which as usual sounded wonderful in the mix)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I did enjoy Billy's performance, up to the point where my DVR freaked out in the middle of "You May Be Right" and I missed the rest of his set..

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived