Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for Cheap Hammer Action Keyboard

anom217

I have about 3 years of experience playing on a digital piano. I'm looking to get a keyboard as I don't have the piano anymore. I was hoping not to spend too much, as I'm not looking for something really expensive, and I only play/learn the piano for fun in my spare time. However, since I've been using a digital piano, I don't want a really cheap keyboard either.

Here are my basic criteria for a keyboard:

-Scaled hammer action

-Velocity sensitive

So far, it seems my best bets are the Casio Privia PX-130 or the Yamaha P95B. I was hoping for something not quite as expensive (closer to $400 than $500, but that might be wishful thinking). Can anyone offer any suggestions of keyboards for me?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two keyboards you mention (PX-130 and P95B) are both good options.

Have a look for used ads as well. This kind of keyboard often comes up for sale with minimal wear, if someone's bought it and ended up not playing it much.

You might also want to have a look at the Casio CDP-120.

Here are my basic criteria for a keyboard:

-Scaled hammer action

-Velocity sensitive

So far, it seems my best bets are the Casio Privia PX-130 or the Yamaha P95B. I was hoping for something not quite as expensive (closer to $400 than $500, but that might be wishful thinking). Can anyone offer any suggestions of keyboards for me?

Anything with a piano-style weighted action is going to be velocity sensitive.

Scaled action--that is, feeling heavier at the bottom and lighter at the top--is really not very important. The $5,000 Yamaha CP1 is not scaled, the $500 Casio PX-130 is... and I doubt anyone would say that the Yamaha doesn't play better than the Casio. Use your ears and fingers, not a spec list.

As for other suggestions: the new Casio PX-150 sounds and feels much better than the PX-130, but that doesn't address your desire to get something cheaper. Boards that are less expensive than the ones you mention are the Casio CDP-120 and the Yamaha P35.

Used models you might find for less could be these models' forerunners: Yamaha P85, Casio CDP-100, PX-100, and PX-110.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived