Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Keyboards � Opinion

steffensteffen

Hi everybody.

Im a graphic design student from Denmark. As my final exam I'm doing a redesign of the Nord keyboards' identity. As a part of my work I'm doing a lot of research, to get to know the brand and it's values.

What is your opinion is on the Nord brand and it's product? And what do you think Nord does better/or worse than other keyboard manufactures?

I really hope you can help me getting to know the brand a little more :)

Best regards

Steffen

www.steffensteffen.com

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good simulation of electro-mechanical instruments. Clav, Wurlitzer, Rhodes pianos, and Tonewheel organs.

Some people swear by them as the best utility keyboard out there to cover gigging needs. Personally they fall short in the organ department for me but that's just my opinion. The company seems well run and the marketing seems to be done well.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Make it ... um, blue. Yeah, blue.

(Just kidding.)

Frankly, it's going to be hard to improve on Nord identity, since they've done such an excellent job of it. The hallmarks are:

• Small: no unnecessary size (length, width, or depth).
  • Clean: no unnecessary shape elements
  • Light: easy to carry
  • Knobby: the controls you're likely to want to use during performance are available as knobs or switches, rather than menu-diving. Menu-diving is limited to mostly things you'd do in preparation. Thus all those controls on the top panel.
  • Clarity: it's pretty easy to figure out what something does by looking at it, assuming you have a basic understanding of the kind of keyboard already.
  • Red. Need I say more? You can spot one a mile away, and it's unmistakable.

There's a clear focus on high quality professional tone. Not necessarily the best in class on anything, but at least competitive with best-in-class, and combined with other factors that make it even more competitive. Most are good at more than one thing.

They're pretty easily best-in-class for being small/light/clean-lined.

Most of all, they're *practical*.

They're not afraid to charge a pretty penny. Their bottom-end units are somewhat competitively priced, but you pay a premium for their higher-end models. In any case, few people choose Nord because it's the cheapest in class.

Good luck.

Outkaster is right that they focus more on vintage or "classic" instruments: piano, electric pianos, clavinet, and Hammond organ. The synth section of the Stage is far from best in class; instead it's a very conveninet module in a package with the other strengths. But they do it without looking "vintage". No steampunk.

Steffen,

Having recently finished grad school and now a college professor, I empathize with and applaud your subject matter selection.

I only own one Nord keyboard, their Wave synth. It isn't one of their electro-mechanical sim products (Electro, Stage, C organs or Piano), and thus what I can offer may be a minority response compared to other forum members.

What I have always admired about Nord design (prior to my purchase of the Wave) is the seemingly consistent and intuitive UI. Unlike many models from the large Japanese brands (Yamaha, Korg, Roland...), it always seemed very straightforward to accomplish what I wanted even though I might be brand new to the instrument. Layout of sections, and controls within sections, just make sense to a keyboard player.

The interface on the various Lead models and the Wave (which, as I understand it, is simply a logical iteration of the Lead versioning) is also extremely intuitive for a guy who grew up with analog synthesis. Hence, great UI leads to engaging UX - my user experience means actual usage (e.g., actual musical creativity) is allowed to flow unimpeded by "Where is that filter cutoff?" or "What page of the menu has that parameter?" kinds of distractions.

While I also found the wood pitch stick on the Wave alien at first, it's now my absolute favorite device for pitch bending. It feels natural, physical resistance is just perfect, and the lack of a detent makes it feel "musical" rather than "mechanical".

Finally, things like all-metal construction, while not unique to Nord (all my Kurzweil keyboards share this aspect) are very welcome. I'm always disappointed to find fiberboard under very-expensive keyboards like my Kronos (Korg? Are you listening?) and would like to see every pro-level board follow suit with Nord, Kurzweil, and any other manufacturer who still sticks to all metal construction.

The bright red thing? I could care less either way, but I know that can be a bit polarizing for some folks.

Hope that helps some, best of luck on your final project.

Tim Wat

The pitch stick is great. I usually hate joysticks and prefer mod/pitch wheels. When I got a chance to play a Stage I was surprised at how natural it felt. In addition to pitch bending, it's fantastic for vibrato. I play classical style guitar, and except for my hand being turned the opposite way (palms facing down rather than facing me) I used the same technique -- very simalar (but simpler than) violin vibrato. Sounds so much better than using a mod wheel with a programmed wave to make the vibrato!

steffensteffen,

From a design, and brand perspective, there is a consistency of design that strikes you.. red obviously, but also the look/feel of the controls, the depth, width and height, they are very consistent in the look of their keyboards and unlike the basic black colouring of their major competitors, they have stuck with an identifiable colour (which I don't happen to like but I have accepted). They are also very good quality, top quality actually, they take great pride in their sound, and if they put a sound in an instrument it is excellent.. You can argue whether any particular sound is the industry best, but you can rest assured that it is always top quality and there is no medocre content in a Nord.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Quite simply, this is my go-to board. I have an NE2, one that dates back to close to its introduction. It has been updated once in that the original acoustic pianos were not that good, IMHO. You will find plenty of debate here over the piano voices but one thing you won't hear are stories of equipment failure. People have broken things but on their own, Nords don't seem to fail. Simply, Nord has built a reputation for durable, high quality, professional keyboards for a variety of applications. The proverbial question is always, "if it were lost or stolen, would you buy another?" My answer is an unqualified YES. BTW, as a prof myself, I agree with Tim Wat, your teacher has given you a good assignment.

I used to own the original NordLead and the NordLead 2 and now have a NordPiano. I like the immediacy and simplicity of their designs. It was really easy to create inspiring sounds on the NL's and the NP is similarly intuitive.

I think Nord's greatest weakness is their auxiliary sounds. Compared to the Yamahas, Rolands and Korgs, Nords just don't cut it as allround boards.

Also, they are very pricey and I don't like the red, but they do feel like real instruments to me.

Stubborn... It took them what, 10 years to add drawbars (faders), and they only did Sonwhen they had to, in response to the SK line from Hammond.

And you mustn't forget the Nord Goddess.

She figures prominently, literally.

I have one that I love, much more than I did my Kurz. It's red, it's clean, I can load piano and harpsi samples to my taste, just a joy to play and to use....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Hi Steffen

One aspect of the brand that's not been mentioned is the continued free support that Nord provides to owners. Most specifically, they regularly add lots of free sound samples that can be downloaded and used on the keyboards.

I'm not a Nord owner myself (one day...), but the sense I've picked up on this forum is that Nord owners really appreciate this support - both for the specific sounds, and for the feeling of Nord really wanting to keep its customers happy.

The pitch stick is great ... it's fantastic for vibrato. I play classical style guitar, and except for my hand being turned the opposite way (palms facing down rather than facing me) I used the same technique -- very simalar (but simpler than) violin vibrato. Sounds so much better than using a mod wheel with a programmed wave to make the vibrato!

+1. Fretless bass vibrato technique carries right over.

Cheers, Mike

As a part of my work I'm doing a lot of research, to get to know the brand and it's values.

From a branding perspective, I think they are the Apple of the industry. Premium priced, high quality products, with an emphasis on simplicity of operation. The companies have an understanding of the importance of design aesthetics, and the products have a look that sets them apart. A lot of attention is paid to user interface. (Though sometimes they get it wrong!) They do things their own way (for better or worse), and they have loyal, enthusiastic customers. It's a pretty good model to emulate! (Also, coincidentally, both companies put an emphasis on putting as much usability into as small and as lightweight a package as they can.)

And what do you think Nord does better/or worse than other keyboard manufactures?

Better: I think their products are viscerally more satisfying to use than many others, due to ease of use and the feeling of directly manipulating aspects of the sound, compared to others that can feel more like operating a computer. They have perhaps the best reputation for coming out with new free enhancements that owners can add to their existing models, staving off a sense of obsolescence. (Kurzweil does well there too.) For gigging, their boards are among the best in terms of performance-per-pound.

Worse: Some of the boards' limitations can be frustrating (perhaps partially a result of going a bit overboard in aiming for simplicity). The keybeds are often not up to the quality of the competition (a limitation that is somewhat the result of the fact that they have to outsource them). Patch selection is a weakness compared to other boards (i.e. how many sounds you can access with one or two button presses, or how easy it is to locate a particular saved sound). Online support lags the competition... it is much easier to reach a rep from Kurzweil, Casio, Yamaha, or Korg in an online forum somewhere, and get a question answered, feedback acknowledged, or an issue addressed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Online support lags the competition... it is much easier to reach a rep from Kurzweil, Casio, Yamaha, or Korg in an online forum somewhere, and get a question answered, feedback acknowledged, or an issue addressed.

That is not my experience. I shot the US distributor an email and got a reply 20 minutes later. At 10pm. Follow ups were just as prompt.

To me, Nord is the premier keyboard on the market today. They are extremely well made and the sounds are impeccable. What I truly like is the infrastructure they have created. I am able to download new samples and programs as well as updates to the OS that keeps my Electro 3 current. I love that there is no menu to plow down through. The knobs and buttons are right there making it easy to tweak on the spot. My only complaint with the Electro models, and I knew this going in, was that other than the organ section, you cannot split the keyboard. And of course you cannot layer. You can get around this by creating your own samples with the provided software however. But other than this, I absolutely love this keyboard. I agree with AnotherScott, Nord is the Apple of the keyboard market.

You're talking about a redesign of Nord's visual identity, not particularly their user interface, correct?

Yes I am doing a redesign of their logo, website and packaging, not the keyboard itself.

I'd say (also as a graphic designer) that you're reworking probably the best branded keyboard company on the planet. Companies who could use your expertise immediately? Mojo/Crumar, Korg, Hammond/Suzuki...

Sorry I can't be much help - but I wish you luck! I'd be interested in seeing whatever you come up with.

Here for the gear.

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8065/dscf0155xm8.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8065/dscf0155xm8.jpg

Wow,- looks much better than any NORD I´ve seen.

Now, if it had pitch bender and mod-wheel, a freely adjustable pitch bend range, much better MIDI implementation, multi timbrality over MIDI and freely adjustable split points,- that (Electro 5) would be for me.

Overall lower prices for NORD gear welcome too.

A.C.

Online support lags the competition... it is much easier to reach a rep from Kurzweil, Casio, Yamaha, or Korg in an online forum somewhere, and get a question answered, feedback acknowledged, or an issue addressed.

That is not my experience. I shot the US distributor an email and got a reply 20 minutes later. At 10pm. Follow ups were just as prompt.

I had a very fast response to an email about an issue from Nord also.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

+1

I used the Email form on their web. Got a reply after 20 mins.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

+1

I used the Email form on their web. Got a reply after 20 mins.

Are you kidding me??!?!

Nord support is incredible. When I had an issue with my E3, almost immediately, Pablo M. (US NORD Support) got in touch and talked me through every step. Spent a lot of time with me on the phone. He helped me do a few additional things too. sent me follow up emails and made sure everything was good.

Nord support is nothing short of excellent

To clarify my comment about their online support... I was really referring to a public forum presence, where multiple people can benefit from the info, join in the conversation, find it in the future, etc., and also where there is a specific known contact, which often makes it easier to communicate with the same person over time (even if you reach out to them privately). I think that is valuable, in addition to having tech support or customer service emails answered.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In other words, you want them to post here? :) There are Nord forums too...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

In other words, you want them to post here? :) There are Nord forums too...

Nord forums rarely have anyone from Nord. OTOH, Korg and Yamaha forums regularly have reps from those companies. Mike from Casio and Dave from Kurzweil regularly post in a variety of forums.

Archived