Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rotation in Piano Technique

Jazz+

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that this guy is still feeling the release that I've had to work at finding.

I've certainly tried that method for months and only gotten worse. I also made the mistake of reading the front of the Hanon book when I was a kid and blasting my way through it jamming my fingers into the key bed to gain as much strength as possible. Its a wonder that I can play at all but frankly there isn't anything I want to do more. I suppose because I reach points where I have great freedom of movement and playing in that state is transcendent.

One thing that I've forgotten to mention is that I discovered I was really holding my right elbow rigid as a result of this "hammer" technique and that now when I feel difficulty in playing something, allowing my elbow to oscillate and provide vertical freedom to my forearm (I'm talking very subtle here) gets me back to my comfortable state. I've not had nearly the issue with my left hand (because I was lazy and didn't practice as much with my left) and you'd think I could just figure out what my left hand does and teach my right, but it just doesn't work that way. I've had to re-learn bit by bit.

A final interesting tidbit is that I started on organ at about 7 (this was the 70's after all) and then started piano when I was about 9. Wonder if I'd have been better off the other way around.

Archived