Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for keyboard bags

Imraotnh

Hello, I was looking for keyboad bags (with 88 keys) and I was wondering which brands are the more reliable. I found two bags - from Stagg and Bespeco - at very decent price but are they any good? I'll be thankful for recommendations.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard of either company (although they may be well known in Europe). I personally use an ATA style hard case for the 88 key boards - weighs more, but more sturdy. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Most of the complaints I hear on the board on 88 key bags have to deal with either failing zippers or broken handles.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Most of the complaints I hear on the board on 88 key bags have to deal with either failing zippers or broken handles.

Gator seems to have a problem with failing zippers; a few other players I know have had similar issues. To be fair, they've been great about replacing my GK cases that have had messed up zippers. The issue has been with my 76 and 'slim' 88 cases; so far the larger, Kronos 88 case has held up ok. I also have an older GKB-76, which is non-rigid, gig bag style case. That one has had some minor zipper issues as well; but doesn't need replacement, yet.

I've used the reinforced, GK models for local, car based transport. I like the fact that they're light enough for personal transport, but yet offer a shell of protection that's better than a bag. I still have 76 and 88 key SKB flight cases, should I need them; a holdover from the days when my rig was carted by trailer or truck.

I picked up an Ultimate Support "Series ONE" 76 key gig bag a couple of months back; have been using it a lot. While not having the semi-rigid support of the Gator GK, it is quite well padded and solidly built. The zippers are heavy-duty; no problems whatsoever. This bag works fine, locally, for my JP-50 - especially with keyboard being around 25 lbs. Hopefully Ultimate will build a semi-rigid, 'shelled' gig bag. Rumor has it there's one in the works.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Gator GK is my choice. Semi-rigid, light, and it has wheels. No Zipper issues so far, but I'm pretty easy on them.

I used to use SKB, but had latch issues. They have an excellent warrantee and great customer service, though.

I've seen the Stagg, but haven't tried them.

American Keyworks AK24+ Diablo (with bow), Hammond L100, Korg M3 expanded, Korg Sigma, Yamaha MM8, Yamaha SY99

I use SKB or New York Cases and have never had a problem with either for local gigging. I have had problems with Gator keyboard cases, and I'm not even rough with them. Trouble with splitting at the seams or zipper issues primarily after 2-3 years. I've also had trouble with a Gator guitar amplifier case, so I'm avoiding them in the future even though they make interesting, lightweight sort of stuff. But lightweigt is only good if it's also sturdy.

Go to finecases.com and type in your model. If not listed, type in the dimensions. They rank the bags and cases according to best fit, and give great detail on each one. Not all brands are covered but many are, and it's a great start.

If doing the search in reverse by looking at a company and their products, I still highly recommend GigSkinz as they have the sturdiest exterior, the best wheels (in a fully shock-protected cavity), many pockets, and the best zippers and straps.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Stagg is VERY good BTW. I have a 'ukulele bag from them and feel it is sturdier and stronger than most hardshell cases. It is also weather-protected (as are GigSkinz bags). I'm not sure if I've seen their keyboard bags yet though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived