Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guidance needed on 76 note RA

Ian Sharrock

Thing is, what I need in my rig is a 73/76 analogue... My last eBay fiasco taught me a lesson (Never trust the ad), (The JX10; Paid Paypal on buy it now, with a 24 hour courier. 2 weeks later still no show; I get my money back eventually through Ebay themselves). I want an analogue poly (min 8 note) of any vintage. Do you guys know of any synth that covers all the bases? (apart from the JX10)

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AFAIK there's not many true analogs with more than 61 keys, and even less VA's, I think. The ones I found after some investigation is Prophet T8 and Rhodes Chroma, but I guess those are both very hard to find and will cost a fortune...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

The Chroma is also rather delicate, unless it has gone thru a modern-day reconditioning like a new power supply and a few other things...

I guess your best bet is a 76-key controller coupled with an analog module or synth. MKS-70 or 80, a Prophet'08 rack, a couple of Tetras, Matrix-6R, Matrix-1000, Omega 8 (very expensive), could fit your needs.

All things considered, the JX10 could be the ideal choice. :)

The ones I found after some investigation is Prophet T8 and Rhodes Chroma, but I guess those are both very hard to find and will cost a fortune...

Correct, and they´ll become a nitemare of service sooner or later, not to forget to mention they are bulky and heavy.

The only option is buying a 76-keys synth action masterkeyboard and add a rack- or desktop module.

Vintage masterkeyboards: Roland A-70 and Yamaha KX76

Vintage RA rack modules feat. 8 voice poly minimum:

Roland MKS 80 / MKS70

Today´s RA rack modules: Studioelectronics Omega etc.

clonk

Dave Smith Prophet 08 PE Synthesizer Module

clonk

Todays 76-keys synth action masterkeyboards: no idea.

A.C.

Ian, here's another option to consider; Find an older 76 key ROMpler like a Triton, Motif, etc. and use it as a MIDI controller for your analog synth or modules. Besides having decent controller capabilities, you'd be surprised at the huge analog type sounds you can get by layering pseudo-analog ROMpler sounds with an analog or VA synth. These keyboards can be found downright cheap these days, and still in good shape! :thu:

><>

Steve

Do you guys know of any synth that covers all the bases? (apart from the JX10)

Honestly, I don't think a JX-10 covers all the bases. It's not what I'd call the most analog sounding of synths anyway, and when you add to that the fact that it's software envelopes have nothing in common with their analog counterparts...

I think you'll get more of an analog experience out of a JP-80.

JX-10s are not that hard to come by if that's what you really want though. They even pop up locally on my Craigslist a few times a year.

Thanks for all your input, it's been very educational (that's what I love about this forum, the wealth of knowledge that you guys bring to it.... The wiki of forums!)

After careful thought I'm gonna plump for a Prophet 08. I have 76 note controllers that give me the range for the VB3 (preset keys) on the V-Machine so I'll use the A33 for the blues band where I'll need to change sound on the VB3 & I'll haul the Prophet 08 out for the Freefall gigs (80's pop/rock)

Thanks again for all your advice :)

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Archived