Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: James Bond

Dana.

She was never a great actress, but you didn't have to be to be a Bond girl, LOL!
Hell, you don't even have to be born a girl.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They who? Regardless, whoever was producing the DVD masters wanted the nudity gone.

But sure I hope they left Ursula Undressed. :laugh:

There was never a lot of nudity in the first place??

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I believe I've seen every Bond film. It was a ritual with my father, and my wife enjoys them too so one time we rented (back in the videotape era) each of the movies, in sequence.

The scene in Dr. No (the 1st Bond film) with Andress walking naked for about 1/2 second between a changing booth and a radiation scrubber (or something) is the only time I can recall seeing a principle in the nude. I don't know the ratings, but I would be surprised if any gets more than a PG rating. There's nudity in silhouette (or other effects) in the opening splashes (or whatever they call those). Other than that, it's only incidental in the background, as far as I could say.

I asked the guy, since I knew of only the Ursula scene, and he said it was stuff like nude bathers at Saint-Tropez. Plus he mighta been jivin me. I assumed his company completed the project, but our connection was through a failed marriage of a relative, so I didn't see him again later.

His brother was the guitarist for Neil Sedaka for many years. Very talented dude, now deceased. Can't quite remember his name, though.

Yes the opening scenes and credits were always notorious for that. I remember years ago when video stores were big. Every Sunday I would rent one in order they came out even if I had seen it before so I could get the full scope of the movies. For me the scenes with Q were always fun to look forward to.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

She was never a great actress, but you didn't have to be to be a Bond girl, LOL!
Hell, you don't even have to be born a girl.

A glorfied extra doesn't count as a "Bond girl." :rolleyes:

Yeah, dude, I can read my own link. But thanks anyway. :poke:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Though I can actually stand all of them (except Lazenby, but I don't really count him or the movie as anything Bond).

Why not? It's an official Bond movie (unlike Never Say Never Again), and still an underrated one. Great script, Bond girl (Diana Rigg), villain (Telly Savalas as Blofeld), theme music, and ski chase. Lazenby brings a strong physicality to the role. Much to enjoy.

Goldeneye is my favorite Bond movie, License to Kill my favorite title track and Roger Moore my favorite actor. Though I can actually stand all of them (except Lazenby, but I don't really count him or the movie as anything Bond).
Well, at least it had a good sound track, which is more than we can say for "Never Say Never Again". It might have been a good movie, but the totally non-bond-like soundtrack pretty much ruined that one for me, even if it was Connery.

Unlike a lot of musos, I don't really pay attention to the score as a separate thing. To me, it's just part of the show, and I generally get pretty immersed. It wasn't until I saw that movie the 2nd time that I realized it was the score that sucked. (It may have been on broadcast TV.)

Though I can actually stand all of them (except Lazenby, but I don't really count him or the movie as anything Bond).

Why not? It's an official Bond movie (unlike Never Say Never Again), and still an underrated one. Great script, Bond girl (Diana Rigg), villain (Telly Savalas as Blofeld), theme music, and ski chase. Lazenby brings a strong physicality to the role. Much to enjoy.

Even Q doesn't consider Lazenby an actor, and scoffed at his portrayal. But it was probably the downer ending that ruined this film's box office prospects.

I enjoyed it, though. I remember watching it with my dad and being confused that JB didn't look like JB. I should have been old enough to know better, at age 11 or 12!

Goldfinger - the first Bond I ever saw. Actually in Sweden, when staying with relatives there. We were about 11 -12 years old, me and my second cousin. I still remember the trailer of "Planet of the Apes" that preceded the movie. Saw that later on the telly. Not such an everlasting memory, that one. But still fun.
Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

Well, at least it had a good sound track, which is more than we can say for "Never Say Never Again". It might have been a good movie, but the totally non-bond-like soundtrack pretty much ruined that one for me, even if it was Connery.

I like the title song by Lani Hall. Good cheese. Fun fact: Hall is Herb Alpert's wife.

Even Q doesn't consider Lazenby an actor, and scoffed at his portrayal. But it was probably the downer ending that ruined this film's box office prospects.

That's because he wasn't an actor. He was a hairdresser!

I think it had more to do with the fact that Connery wasn't playing Bond.

Saw Never Say Never Again's score criticized before, but I liked and like the music. Both theme song and several other parts. Maybe a soft spot for a somewhat smooth early 80s era vibe.

What was the deal with this not being an official film? "Never Say Never Again" was not bad but didn't Connery have some kind of riff with United Artists or something?

noblevibes.com

Saw Never Say Never Again's score criticized before, but I liked and like the music. Both theme song and several other parts. Maybe a soft spot for a somewhat smooth early 80s era vibe.

It sure beats those shitty David Arnold scores.

Who Played James Bond: A Complete History

How do you feel about the different actors playing Bond? Do you not think about it, or do you like to have some backstory to it? I do. I like to think that 007/James Bond is a designation for MI6's top agent. When he retires or is killed, another one replaces him. I think I got that idea from somewhere, though.

I love the Bond films and of course the music.

I've been playing a lot of gigs with Akira Tana's "Secret Agent Men." For those of you that don't know Akira, he has played or recorded with Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Milt Jackson, Jim Hall, , Paquito D'Rivera, James Moody, J.J. Johnson, Lena Horne, etc.

He recorded two cd's of "spy music". One was called "Secret Agent Men" that featured Dr. Lonnie Smith and one was "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" the music of Bond featuring vocalist Annie Sellick (who's recorded w/ Joey D).

Here is a clip of us playing "From Russia With Love" at the Benecia Jazz Fest. I play all organ on the gigs:

[video:youtube]

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

In the same interview where I saw Q wave off Lazenby, he said that Brosnan was the Bond most true to Fleming's character. I was prepared to dislike him but thought he did pretty well. But I couldn't take him as seriously as Daniel Craig. Craig might just be a bit too serious, though. In any case, I don't miss the ridiculousness of the enemy compound and all that. It was time that JB grew up a bit.

I don't remember the theme song, and the music could have been fantastic; it just didn't fit my image of a James Bond flick, and to me didn't seem to suit the mood of the action on screen.

What a great thread! I've been a Bond-lover since I was a child and have fond memories of playing with my brother's Corgi DB5 with the ejector seat! On a recent trip to the Gulf Islands we stopped in at a second hand store and scored a CD of Bond theme songs. This has led to an in-car game with my passengers we call "Name The Singer". You'd be surprised at some of the people who have done Bond themes (aha and Louis Armstrong?). The most common wrong guesses are Nancy Sinatra and Shirley Bassey. Bassey kinda makes sense since she did three of them. Unfortunately the CD only goes up to 1991.

My Bond actor picks are, in order:

1a) Connery - because he created the role and is the standard against whom all others are judged

1b) Daniel Craig - because he's AWESOME! Fleming's Bond from the books has been described as "a savage in a Saville Row suit". Nobody does the Bond "don't even think of f**king with me" look like Craig. He has the air of someone who knows he can kill you without spilling his drink. That scene of him walking down the hall in Buckingham Palace with the Queen during the Olympics said it all. Craig doesn't play Bond, Craig is Bond.

2) Pierce Brosnan - he was a great Bond IMO and I really liked all of his films.

3) Timothy Dalton - he was really good but I wasn't watching Bond films much in the late 80's so I don't have much attachment to him.

4) Roger Moore - Live And Let Die was the first Bond film I ever went to the theatre to see without adult supervision. Roger Moore brought the cachet he'd earned playing The Saint (cool theme on that show too). Looking back his performances were, at times, laughable but aren't they all really?

5) I even liked Lazenby! The film, not so much.

The James Bond Theme by Monty Norman (Arr. John Barry) is my all-time favourite big band tune. 50 years on and that chart swings like a wrecking ball!

After that my favourite Bond theme song is Live And Let Die although there are some other great tunes in the Bond canon.

PS - If you want a wonderful score that borrows (ok, steals) heavily from the Bond style check out Pixar's The Incredibles.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

THIS is how it's done, with the greatly esteemed Derek Watkins leading the trumpets:

[video:youtube]

Brass section from a ROMpler, anyone?

Thank you, Mark! I want to write a Bond-esque chart for the big band I play in so I've been trying to study the arranging style. Watching the horn section lay it down is a great learning opportunity. Derek Watkins has certainly earned his esteem! I love the way they relax after the last note, wait for the 'cut' and then go on with their conversations. Pros :-)

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

PS - If you want a wonderful score that borrows (ok, steals) heavily from the Bond style check out Pixar's The Incredibles.

You are going to love watching this. Rick Baptist (Dancing with the Stars, Oscars telecast) and Wayne Bergeron (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band) on trumpets.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGy_B-9QNT8

Sean Connery said that Timothy Dalton underestimated the role and thats why he failed at it. Q had a big role in one of Daltons movies and the most screen time he ever had in one Bond movie. Bronson made and interesting comment in one interview saying I never thought the Bond role was mine Its too bad because he was wanted to play Bond way before he actually got the chance in 1994. It was hard because he kind of type cast himself in Remington Steele so by the time he did play Bond it did not really fit. Goldeneye was a great movie though.

Daniel Craig is the one that all the hate on the internet proved wrong. From what I have read he is the closest to Flemings Bond in the books than Moore or the rest were. I remember having a gut feeling that he would do good as Bond. I think in this next movie he is going to be a little less serious and we will have a new Q also.

noblevibes.com

What a great thread! I've been a Bond-lover since I was a child and have fond memories of playing with my brother's Corgi DB5 with the ejector seat!
The gold Aston Martin? I had one of those! I think I know where it is, even, though the extra man and the roof lid are long gone (45 years now). The tires are probably missing too. But I think the front machine guns and the rear window popup bullet deflector still work! :-D

We have that CD too, and I have to agree with all your comments about the actors.