Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D'Angelico knock offs for $1150-1200

Fred_C

Hey Gents,

Out of curiousity, I visited the GTRStore website. They took the back cover of the 9/12 GP.

They have what are evidently knock offs of D'Angelico's for $1150-`1200!

I'm guessing that these are probably made in Indonesia (truth be told, I'm not exactly sure where Indonesia is-and really don't care) by 10 year old kids working for $1.00/day and a bowl of rice.

Be forewarned, they are unresponsive to email inquiries. Having waited three days for a response, I sent the following email:

Don't bother to respond to my inquiry. I no longer have any interest.

Your lack of responsiveness is a clear indication of an overall lack of professionalism. I don't want to do business with your organization.

"McKayla is not impressed" and neither am I.

Fred C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: D'Angelico's for $1149

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:51:20 -0400

Hi,

I sent you an email yesterday from your internal web-site system. I haven't heard anything back as yet so I thought I'd follow up.

I saw your ad in Guitar Player magazine.

When I visited your website, I was quite surprised to see "D'Angelico's" for $1149. I had always thought that D'Angelico's were very expensive. I'd like more information.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A guitar teacher friend had a D'Angelico that he'd gotten for well under 2 grand, and it was made in Asia, as well. Don't remember the company/distributor right now, but this was 3-5 years ago. It may be one of those cases where someone bought the rights to a brand-name, or got a licensing deal, rather than being knock-offs, or counterfeits. I'd still be very reluctant to order a nice Jazz box, sight unseen, from a company I'd never heard of, that couldn't even respond to a customer inquiry.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Hey WP,

Yeah, I agree. If I recall correctly the "real" D'Angelico's are (were?) being made in Japan. The Japanese are fully capable of building an instrument that would compete with something made in the USA. They were (are) still very expensive.

When I do business, I expect common courtesy. I will observe that in response to my final "f**k off" email I did receive an apologetic email from their president, explaining that their server had been down due to lightning. But this was, I believe, a cop out, since I received an auto-response from their system on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. Their server could not possibly have been down or I would not have received the auto-responses.

Play well, Brother.

If you play cool, you are cool.

It's always a cop-out until you stick it to them --- in any business. Just did it to my car dealer last week.

Recently bought a Les Paul Studio, ebony fret-board sight unseen from MF, not available in Canada but would never buy a jazz axe without playing it first.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Archived