Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some help for curing writers block.....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best cure for writer's block is write, with no regard to the quality or utility of the writing. Waiting around to be inspired is not a path to success. Reaching out and taking inspiration by freely writing whatever nonsense comes to mind, that's what leads to successful writing. Don't ever stop writing, just don't self-vet so much that you cripple the natural ebb and flow of your inspiration.

What Griff said. My version of that is usually something like, "it's okay to suck." Go ahead and write something terrible. Let it be terrible. Laugh at how terrible it is if you must. But don't stop there. Keep going and finish it. Then keep writing. Keep sucking. Let it out. Do the editing and critiquing later.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I would suggest, if it's legal where you live, enhancing your, well, everything with some cannabis... Those who tried know what I'm talking about. Those who didn't are going to be pleasantly surprised...

Also, like not being able to fall asleep, pressure in life may have a bad effect on your creative output. (some would say the opposite I assume), but personally I can't think about writing anything when my life is in a bad place.

Get your ex back: Guys - Girls - You gotta see this if you want him/her back!

• 10 months later...
Best cure for writer's block is write, with no regard to the quality or utility of the writing. Waiting around to be inspired is not a path to success. Reaching out and taking inspiration by freely writing whatever nonsense comes to mind, that's what leads to successful writing. Don't ever stop writing, just don't self-vet so much that you cripple the natural ebb and flow of your inspiration.
Just because something works for you doesn't make it some case-closed fact as you seem to be implying. If that works for you great, but it's not for everyone or the only path. I do in fact wait to be inspired and it works for me quite well. Writing crap only produces crap, and if I did that it would only dishearten me more. This is not like practicing an instrument, which largely comes down to mechanics. The creative process cannot be forced IMO.

The article above basically comes down to shaking things up...do something different, change your routine, etc, which I agree with. Often writer's block is just another form of "burnout."

• 2 months later...
Can someone please tell what is the theory behind a minor chord becoming a major in a major scale like now i am playing a bollywood song called senorita which is in the key of a major but in the song there come some parts where c minor becomes c major ,f# minor becomes f# major and b minor becomes b major.Please explain the theory behind it.

Archived