Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moten Swing

Charleston

Oscar Peterson Trio

Album: Night Train

Song: "Moten Swing"

Does anyone here have a transcription service? Or recommendation for one?

I'd like to learn this song on piano, but can't find the sheet music.

I was using "Transcribe" software, but realize it will take me ages. I can make out some of the voicings, but don't have a good way to notate (suppose I need some software). I'm classically trained with only basic theory skills, and have managed to get by in rock/country/blues/etc.. with a decent ear/improv, but Moten Swing (and jazz in general) is a challenge for me.

And BTW, the transcription doesn't have to be perfect, with every single note/inflection/etc.., just mainly the primary voicings/comps. I think there are only 3 primary sections? I can already pick out and learn the right hand leads in the lead sections.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep working at it - it might just be the start of something big.

All of us have felt daunted by a transcription at least once in our careers. Get what you can from it, and done 100 more....then come back to this one and add another layer of polish!

Good luck!

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I transcribed Oscar Peterson's version of "Joy Spring" (which he does in A, rather than the standard key of F) and it was a bear, but not impossible.

And that was before there was any software or devices to slow down a recording (I ended up lashing up a 'slow-downer' using a high-speed dubbing tape deck).

Some of those runs are at the 32nd and 64th note level.

Best advice: get an ipod touch, iphone, or ipad (or Android device), download the Amazing Slow Downer software, and dig in. Get a little keyboard that will take headphones and is tuneable (most of those recordings were done on tape and aren't exactly on pitch). Sit down at the table with a cup of coffee a few sharpened pencils, and a stack of manuscript paper. Learn it that way and you'll actually get into Oscar's head a bit and be a much better player for it.

Do NOT use a computer to notate it for you. You won't get anything out of it.

I was given a copy of the "Charlie Parker Omnibook" years ago, and played through a few of the solos on my alto. Meh. Fun, but not a great experience. However, transcribing solos I've learned so much more about the players and the way they construct solos.

..or you could just go here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21453394/Oscar-Peterson-Jazz-Piano-Solos

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived