Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for gritty, organic tone -- from a Triton?

MTalking

Hey, guys, I'm a frequent visitor here, but I rarely if ever post. Hope you don't mind that one of my first posts ever is a question for you all:

I've been in bands for many years (I'm 44), and a new one I'm joining is going for a kind of Fatboy Slim/Beck/Black Keys sound, where they'll be trying to get that gritty, organic, kind of raw sound to the band as a whole.

The bulk of my keyboard sounds are supposed to be rhodes, wurlitzer, organ and clavs. (We'll have an auxiliary DJ/percussionist handling the loops and buzzy analog-type synth lines).

I'd love to have the cash to get a Nord Stage 2, which seems like it would give me the perfect sound for this band, but I use a Korg Triton.

Any suggestions on effects, pedals, etc., that I could use to help my sound feel more "pawn shop," raw, organic, 70s, un-polished, etc. I bought my Triton years ago, when I was in a band that did typical dance Top 40 covers, and the smooth sound of the Triton fit that perfectly...Not so much for this new project!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can do a lot by tweaking the Triton EQ, it's set "smiley face" from the factory...

If you are comfortable with using computers, Key Performer is great for all the sounds you mentioned, it's cheap and the triton is a good master keyboard.

I would definitely try dirty up the sound by tweaking the onboard EQ as mentioned above and internal effects.

For the non-tweaker, the shortcut would be some kind of stompbox or a standalone multieffects processor i.e. TC Electronics M350. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've played a Triton LE before; a friend let me play his at a gig. As I recall it had some nice Wurly e.p.'s. Maybe if it has an 'tube amp channel' type saturation effect on-board available, run it through that. If you're like me, the less clutter by your feet, the better. If effects pedals can get you the sound you're seeking though...by all means go w/that. I saw in the new Sweetwater catalog the other day that Radial has put out a new box that'll allow you to take any signal, line level or even mic level, and run it into a guitar pedal a.k.a. stompbox (I think it makes the pedal 'see' the right voltage/impedance too). I thought to myself: very cool. I think they want around $275 to $300 or so for it.

I had a Triton Studio for a lot of years. I used to set up a Combi with a generic organ sound in channel one and then add different organs in 3 or 4 other channels. One would be an organ sound with full drawbars out, another would be with percussion, and I'd always have one of the gritty organ sounds in there. (there should be a few to choose from.) Then I would use the touch screen and bring up the volumes on one or more to change the organs sound. Bottom line I came up with some nice organ sounds that I could edit to taste within the Combi. And you can also tweak the Leslie sim setting quite a bit and add an overdrive effect too.

The Leslie on the Triton isn't too shabby, and there are some decent organ samples, but no clonewheel - i.e., no drawbar adjustment. There is overdrive available in the insert effects, but it's not very good.

If you wanna get gritty, my suggestion would be to set up those patches with the routing to Aux 1 out. That way your clean sounds will still come unaffected out the main outs. Now that means that NO effects will be available to those patches - only the dry sound comes out of the Aux output. So any external overdrive will also need additional effects if you want them....i.e. Leslie......which brings me to:

how about a Neo Ventilator? I don't own one, but for those of you who do, with the drive set high can you get a fair amount of grit out of those?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've been messing around with my (rackmount) Sans Amp, and it helps, but I don't want a rack for this gig, if I can avoid it. I lugged WAY too much stuff to previous gigs for too many years, so I'm all about keeping it simple, if possible. (In a perfect world, my wife would go tell me to buy a Nord Stage 2, but that's not happening.)

I checked out the Key Performer mentioned earlier in this thread. Funny, its electric pianos sound better to me than those in the Triton, as far as the more organic tone I'm going for.

It's amazing the kind of sounds you can get from some really cheap plug-ins, especially relative to the big bucks (at the time) I paid for my Triton. But in any case, I'm not looking to lug a laptop to gigs, so that's probably not the solution for me.

I had a Triton Studio for a lot of years. I used to set up a Combi with a generic organ sound in channel one and then add different organs in 3 or 4 other channels. One would be an organ sound with full drawbars out, another would be with percussion, and I'd always have one of the gritty organ sounds in there. (there should be a few to choose from.) Then I would use the touch screen and bring up the volumes on one or more to change the organs sound. Bottom line I came up with some nice organ sounds that I could edit to taste within the Combi. And you can also tweak the Leslie sim setting quite a bit and add an overdrive effect too.

I used to do the same thing on my Motif. I'd use the Glassy organ, a percussion organ, something screaming and something crunchy, then mix them with the faders to manipulate the sound. Wasn't all that bad given the circumstances, which was being a working keyboard whore and playing gigs with just the motif and a super sexy little Galien Krueger MK200 (god I miss that thing)

*** ANYWAY- more grit-

1- Tube Amp

2- Sans Amp stomp box

3- As I recall, my Triton had onboard overdrive... tweak it!!!

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

Mididude, you mentioned the Radial line...Would it make sense to plug directly into something like this (link below), directly form my Triton. I've never used pedal effects before, so excuse the ignorant question.

(Link to the Radial ToneBone)

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-classic.htm

I think you could plug into that, but what I was thinking of was this (I think):

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/xamp.php

If you had both this and any other guitar pedal (e.g. Tubescreamer), I think it should give better a s/n ratio...Maybe I opened a can of worms with this though. I recall reading some other lengthy threads on here discussing best methods for connecting (digital vs electro-mechanical) keyboards to stompboxes. What I thought I learned & concluded was that the signal coming out of a keyboard like say a Triton, is line level (Low impedance, I believe), whereas the signal that supplied by plugging a guitar into a Tubescreamer is high impedance. In my brief, limited experience messing with plugging a digital keyboard into a stompbox; it worked, but it sounded more noisy than I liked. On the first sentence of this paragraph I meant to type: 'If you had both this and any most any guitar effects stompbox pedal...'. I'm on my iPhone & didn't want to edit cumbersomely.

I plug my keyboard directly into the "low" level input of my guitar amp. Why? Because I don't want a massive amount of distortion in my keys, I just want a bit of overdrive where needed. By using the same drive I normally get nice and crunchy with my guitar (into the "high" input), I get a warm overdrive out of the keys, and if I need more, I adjust the keyboard volume up.

As I recall, my Triton had onboard overdrive... tweak it!!!

+1

The onboard effects are decent and they give you the option of having different varieties of grit tailored to different sounds.

Just a very mild amp simulation at a drive setting of 0, 1 or 2 to start. Pre or post leslie/phaser etc depending on your taste. Also experiment with ampsim=>leslie=>ampsim with the ampsims at very low levels of drive. You may be surprised at how a tiny bit of onboard grit makes your triton friendlier to the bassist and guitarist. Good luck!

(for ampsim, substitute distortion or overdrive depending on taste. Sometimes the overdrive/distortion dsp's are older and not of the same quality. Even if you don't want the eq effects of a cab, the amp sim might sound better.)

You guys are great. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be digging into the suggested Triton effects this week, and later I'll check into a Ventilator, funds allowing (and if the gig shapes up to be a steady, reliable one).

You didn't give us a budget, but as a Triton owner myself, I don't think you'll get what you're after just by tweaking the "on board".

I'm a big fan of the Menatone pedals, particularly the "Blue Collar" and the "Top Boost in a can".

http://www.menatone.com/

Also in the same price range might be something like the older "Vox Tonelab" stuff. I believe there's a model with a 12AX7 tube in the front and a boatload of amp/cab/mic models. With something like that, you could switch presets from song to song, playing Wurly through a Super, and Rhodes through a Twin, etc. Probably has a better "Rotory" sim than the Triton too.

Steve, assuming I go the Vox Tonelab route, what do you mean, Wurly through a Super? I'm not familiar with the classic amp setups for a Wurly.

Super and Twin were references to classic Fender amps. I play a real Wurly 200/200A through a Fender Concert, which was the precursor to the more common "Super Reverb". Personally, I like Wurlitzers through 10" speakers (especially old Blue Jensens). For Rhodes, I might be more inclined to use something with slightly larger 12" speakers like the Fender Twin.

The Tonelab pedal as I remember it, was designed to emulate a number of classic amps including those Fenders, and probably some Vox (AC30 I'd guess) and Marshall's and who knows what else.

The point is, you're playing a Triton, and on some songs you'll want a clean acoustic piano, others organ, others Wurly and or Rhodes, etc. What I'm suggesting is that with something that recreates the sounds of many amps, leslies, cabinets etc, you can switch from song to song. Perhaps you would bypass for piano, use a Twin for Rhodes, the Super or AC30 for wurly and Clav. Maybe you'll find other simulations you like better. The idea is that instead of buying one amp and having it color all of your sounds the same way, you can use a simulator and have more sound enhancing choices.

I own a Vox ToneLab SE, although I've only used it for guitar. It's a nice multi-effects unit, and this is coming from someone who usually doesn't like the sound of multi-effects units, at least for guitar. And yes, it does have a lot of amp models, including British and American amps. The owner's manual is available through Vox in PDF form, if you want to do a quick Google search and check out exactly what it has.

If you are using it to primarily to emulate Leslie cabinets, it's fairly limited in scope, so bear that in mind.

Also, if you want lush reverbs, this isn't the unit.

The delays, wahs, and pedals are especially good and easily programmable and quite flexible, and were the primary selling points for me (that and the band wanted me to switch between sounds on the dime, which I couldn't do with my individual foot pedals).

The one other thing you might want to check out is how a keyboard sounds through this before plunking down money for it. I generally prefer full-frequency effects for my keyboards, and I don't know if this has it, as it might be voiced for guitars. With foot pedals, I often will get full-frequency pedals so I can use them with my recording setup, keyboards, or guitar. I don't know about the Vox because that's one of the few items I've purchased that was specifically for live performance with my guitar.

I generally prefer full-frequency effects for my keyboards,

While I would generally agree with you here Ken, the OP is looking to rough up wurlys, rhodes, clavs and organ ala the 70s.

He doesn't really need full freq bandwith for that, and as I suggested, he can bypass when playing pianos, strings, pads, horns, etc.

Thanks, Steve. I do this because it's what I prefer, but I figured I'd bring it up in case this were an issue with the OP.

I've never been a Korg guy, but didn't some of the Tritons have an actual 12AX7 or similar vacuum tube preamp built in?

triton extreme- the blue one

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

Archived