Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggest some 80s synth rock listening

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, you cannot have a new wave thread without early talking heads.

The guitar solo at the end of The Great Curve is my favorite ever, and had a big influence on my synth solos.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHZua9rdFvQ&feature=fvwrel

The Live In Rome version. A little out there.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RY7Yz3PEhk

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

RABid... awwwwww yeah. Their best work IMO. Don't know that it gets at the "polychordal" criteria, but there are loads of interesting bits going on.

For "rock with a lot of keyboards", although not necessarily synth driven, I was going to suggest Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" and "Clutching at Straws", and Rush's "Signals" album. Not really in line with the other suggestions, but there you go.

I make software noises.

Van Halen?

They are really good but getting the tab for I'll Wait is kind of difficult.

Word! :mad:

;)

Has Vince Clarke been mentioned yet (other than Depeche Mode)? His other stuff (Yaz, Erasure), although more pop-oriented, has some pretty cool synth action as well.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

For "rock with a lot of keyboards", although not necessarily synth driven, I was going to suggest Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood"....

:thu: One of my all-time favorite albums. I still listen to it at least once or twice a year from beginning to end, and it evokes the same powerful emotions on each listen.

Script for a Jester's Tear is very solid as well.

Noah

Wow, someone else listens to Kevin Gilbert?!? I love his stuff. Kevin's Toy Matinee has been re-released, grab that one.

Along that line I would recommend pre-1985 Tangerine Dream, Jonn Serrie (planetarium music), any fusion with T Lavitz, UK (the first album with Allan Holdsworth). ELO "Time" has a lot of synth textures.

I know there's more I'm forgetting, I'll check my library at home.

Wow, someone else listens to Kevin Gilbert?!? I love his stuff. Kevin's Toy Matinee has been re-released, grab that one.

Along that line I would recommend pre-1985 Tangerine Dream, Jonn Serrie (planetarium music), any fusion with T Lavitz, UK (the first album with Allan Holdsworth). ELO "Time" has a lot of synth textures.

I know there's more I'm forgetting, I'll check my library at home.

Kevin Gilbert is a recent discovery of mine, and I'm consuming as much as I can - very talented musician, and a terrible tragedy. He would have been a fantastic addition to Genesis post-Collins; Giraffe performing Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is tremendous. Glad to hear Toy Matinee is in circulation!

I love UK, also.

Haven't spent a lot of time with T Lavitz, but it's been on my catch-up list for a while.

I haven't really scoured my collection since this thread started, so suggestions are coming to me in trickles.

Yesterday, I remembered that The Teardrop Explodes and Julian Cope's later solo career are great examples of synth work outside the mainstream of New Wave and Synth-Pop. Very Floyd-inspired.

I can't remember if anyone mentioned Japan yet? They started out as sort of a glam-rock proto-punk outfit but then kind of went surreal, with David Sylvian's later work being more attuned to the sensibilities of Brian Eno and David Torn.

Mick Karn left us too soon, so I was especially surprised to see a Japan reunion tour listed for this summer. I've tried to find more information (including who is taking Mick's place) but mostly come up with false hits related to the tsunami/earthquake/meltdown of last year in Japan the country.

Oh, don't forget Matt Johnson's alter ego "The The". Or label mates Soft Cell (David Ball is a true guru of synths, and like Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo managed to do three things simultaneously with no obvious effort).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh right, forgot about that, but found one of those items in a liquidation bin and was quite pleased at my $3 find. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Unless I missed it mentioned here, but Australia's 'THE CHURCH' have been around from that time frame to STILL putting out music and touring; more of a cultish following as other than "Under The Milkyway" hit, college radio has been the place to really ever hear them on airwaves and if you said you liked "ICEHOUSE", well, although they are two different styles, they BOTH write meaningful, deep lyrics, with really diverse, layered sound. I am not one to care so much for "best of CD's", but it would be a way of getting an idea of this band's diverse offering. Am glad someone already mentioned Siousie and The Banshies and The Cure! Lest we not forget about Gary Newman, and not just for his BIG HIT "CARS", which he invested well enough to where he actually has a recording studio retrofitted in his OWN 747 plane!!! No joke!! Lastly, consider Sisters of Mercy...perhaps a bit Goth, but that's exactly how I fly--with the bats! HA!
Life is a freely routable modulational experience; I am but a patch cord in time.

Like a FOOL, I stupidly forgot to mention ROXY MUSIC!!! They have been around a LONG time before the 80's hit record of Avalon...and we would not have Brian Eno perhaps if he had not had that experience with Roxy Music...they were considered (and still are) so cutting edge and of course ahead of their time that NONE of their album art pre-Avalon could be released the same in the USA because the woman were all nude on the REAL covers, of which I have whole orig. boxed set on LP. By the way, Bryan Ferry's new one, "OLYMPIA" is quite good and is actually an unofficial Roxy Music reunion album...pure genius!
Life is a freely routable modulational experience; I am but a patch cord in time.

I will stop and shut-up after this post; it seems this thread has caused a few synapses to fire in a really good way...anyway, dare I mention "SINNY PUPPY", (of which NIN in my opinion in early incarnation blatantly **borrowed from**), and FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY??? APHEX TWIN??? OK, neighbor's are home, putting headphones on and firing-up the Waldorf Synths!! Hope this helped and thanks for this thread!

SKINNY PUPPY... FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY??? APHEX TWIN???

While I like all 3 of those, I'd say that's a bit of a divergence from what the OP is talking about. I'd sort of consider those like early Industrial or something...much less melodic, definitely heavier, and in the case of Aphex Twin, noisier (but in a good way)

But you made me think of another one.....although I think this is a bit off from what the OP was suggesting as well, but "My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult". Sort of a more dancey version of the 3 you posted. I always thought of them as Evil Disco. A lot of early sampling. In fact, last time I talk to him, Marston was still using an Emulator live, but that was probably a good 5-7 years ago at least.

(warning, some may find these offensive)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGirGqAEDQ&feature=fvst

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaAntndZv7Y

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Like a FOOL, I stupidly forgot to mention ROXY MUSIC!!! They have been around a LONG time before the 80's hit record of Avalon...and we would not have Brian Eno perhaps if he had not had that experience with Roxy Music...they were considered (and still are) so cutting edge and of course ahead of their time that NONE of their album art pre-Avalon could be released the same in the USA because the woman were all nude on the REAL covers, of which I have whole orig. boxed set on LP. By the way, Bryan Ferry's new one, "OLYMPIA" is quite good and is actually an unofficial Roxy Music reunion album...pure genius!

Avalon was a great record and a step in the right direction, but they never followed up.

I have a DVD of Roxy Music videos from the Brian Eno era to Avalon. Frankly everything before Avalon sounded horrid, Bryan Ferry's voice style sounded repulsive (now I know where David Byrne got that style from, never liked him either) and Roxy Music's songs were bereft of development or decent arrangement. It was a big disappointment because Avalon was my first exposure to them and I had read much of Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay.

Don't forget there are two entirely different versions of Avalon. The original is extremely difficult to find, but I prefer it. Some of the original versions were available on the Roxy Music box set. I forget when the subsequent version of Avalon was recorded; it may be that only the first pressings used the original tapes.

sKinny Puppy, that is...and SiouXie and Banshies....I apologize!

Thanks for the contribution to the thread... you might want to take a second (and breathe ;) ), and look at the "Edit" button under each of your posts... easy enough to go back and fix typos, or add thoughts to your first post instead of firing off 4 posts in a row over 26 minutes. :thu::cool:

I will stop and shut-up after this post; it seems this thread has caused a few synapses to fire in a really good way...anyway, dare I mention "SINNY PUPPY", (of which NIN in my opinion in early incarnation blatantly **borrowed from**), and FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY??? APHEX TWIN??? OK, neighbor's are home, putting headphones on and firing-up the Waldorf Synths!! Hope this helped and thanks for this thread!

Uh...

Just saying, if the man wanted to go for serious noise, he should absolutely go back to the roots of noise:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wBWhyKgW0&feature=related

I have to laugh when people talk about Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly as though they were the inventors of electronica...

Griff, I knew I liked something about you....and not just that you can cook good Thai food and you bought my XP50.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I suggest Jan Hammer. The entire "Miami Vice: The Complete Collection". His synth sounds set the moods for the 80's TV show and would certainly have to be a part of any study of the wonderful synth sounds and creations of the '80's.
"They don't call me good for nothing."

Brian Eno (with or without Talking Heads), Aphex Twin, Vidna Obmana, The Cars, The Cure, Twist of Fate, Peter Gabriel....I doubt much of this is what the OP is looking for, but hey, I'll spout stuff I like too.

Just saying, if the man wanted to go for serious noise, he should absolutely go back to the roots of noise:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wBWhyKgW0&feature=related

...or Einsturzende Neubauten.

Let's throw in the Residents too. They're not even close to industrial, but they're good and fun and were influential.

Archived