Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WOOHOO! Fantom rejuvenated with JV sounds

zephonic

Back in the late 90's the Roland JV1080 and 2080 were the backbone of my studio, along with the MPC and the Nordlead. I used the Roland XP80 live, until it conked out on me sometime in 2005. It was replaced by the Fantom X7, which was a better machine in many ways but I never connected with its sounds the way I did with the JV series.

In an attempt to revitalize my live rig I was looking for new patches online and I stumbled upon a data set that brings my beloved JV sounds to the Fantom....AND HOW!

While not all patches translate 100%, most do and because of the Fantom's superior synth engine and DAC's quite a few sound even better and fresher than the originals!

If you didn't know, Spectrasonics' Eric Persing did a lot of sound design for the JV series and it shows. These old patches have rejuvenated my aging keyboard and I couldn't be happier.

Would anybody here know who has recompiled these XV sounds for the FantomX? I would like to thank this person for giving me back a big part of my musical history.

Sorry for rambling, I just had to tell somebody....

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just google XV data for FantomX, I think it's even on the Roland site or one of their community forums.

Roland's download page for the Fantom X has a downloadable file of XV patches, but not JV.

There are a number of different conversions discussed in the thread at http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36711but they seem to be based on converting the SRJV-80 card patches that came (on CD) with the XV series SRX cards, if I understand correctly.

I haven't seen anything specifically for recreating the stock JV sounds. I'd be curious to know where the OP found that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I meant XV data, but those are the same as the JV plus a few extra soundbanks.

I meant XV data, but those are the same as the JV plus a few extra soundbanks.

Are you sure? Some time ago, I was thinking of replacing a JV-1010 with an XV-2020 because I wanted access to SRX cards, but I looked at the patch lists and saw that the XV-2020 patch list was not a simple superset of the JV-1010 patch list, it was quite different... and the JV-1010 patches I liked and most used at the time were absent in the XV-2020 (unless they were there under different names). Since I didn't have the opportunity to A/B them and see how close I could get in the XV to my favorite JV patches, I never bought it.

My suspicion is that the XV did include the JV waveforms, but they had altered the patches, because that's what they did when they incorporated the SRJV-80 patches into the SRX cards. The waves were there, but out of the box, some of the patches were not. They did supply those original patches on a CD, so you could have them if you wanted them, but I am not aware of any way to get the stock JV sounds on an XV (or in a Fantom X, until this thread).

Patch lists:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JV1010pt.pdf

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/xv2020patch.pdf

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't know about the models you mentioned.

I am talking about the original JV 1080 and 2080, and their XV successors 3080 and 5080. The first four (A,B,C & GM) banks in all these units are identical. The XP50/60/80 keyboards are identical to the 1080 and I believe the XV88 is identical to the 3080. The XP30 is like the other XP keyboards, but with expansion cards built-in.

The XV Data for Fantom I am talking about has all the patches from these, although not all of them survived translation. You'll have to turn down the fx on many, and some are just wrong, presumably because of renamed waveforms or something. But for the most part it works really well.

I think the models you mention are entry-level units and I always assumed they have the same soundbanks. I guess not.

edit:

I just looked at your links and the JV1010's first four banks are identical as well. I also appears to have some expansion cards built-in. The XV2020 looks different indeed, but I suspect it might be that some patches have been renamed, as it is still largely similar to the others.

Yeah man! There are some great patches in there. I haven't visited in a while, but there are also some very nice user-created patch libraries available on the rolandclan forum. That's another way to breathe some new life into the fantom.

edit:

I just looked at your links and the JV1010's first four banks are identical as well. The XV2020 looks different, but I suspect it's just that some patches have been renamed.

Ah, interesting! Knowing that the JV-models basically shared a sound set, I had figured that the XV-models were likewise the same as each other in their core sound set, I didn't know that the XV-2020 (the only XV I had ever looked at) was an "odd bird." So then the "XV-5080 Patches for Fantom-X" download on Roland's own site does give you the JV patch set... or basically, the JV/XP sound set, except for the XV-2020. Good to know!

Archived