Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live performance brass section

Charleston

Incidentally, around St. Louis, it's common to have smoked brisket, ribs, tips, and pulled pork. Most places provide several varieties of sauces ranging from sweet to spicy with variations in between. I don't know if I'm educated enough to give an accurate take, but it seems like the North Carolina style is sort of mustardy, memphis is sweet, KC just seems like normal off the shelf BBQ sauce for these parts, and Texas is the smokier spicier variety. Let the games begin.

You're probably too young to remember Ed's White Front on Natural Bridge and Goodfellow, across from Sam the Watermelon Man.

Sadly the neighborhood got really bad and they moved to Lindberg and Page, the kid was running it, but Lord Have Mecry, one Bun full of hot meat another bun of creamy Cole Slaw slam em together and get sloppy......

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazing how we migrated from creating a good brass section to finding good BBQ.

:laugh:

I've been in Austin, TX for less than 24 hours, and I'm already digesting my second BBQ meal of my stay....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Is this patch common on all current Yamaha boards?

I think that's Yamaha's "VeloFalls" brass patch. It's one my favorite brass patches - lots of dynamics within the patch itself. The "fall" (which I suspect is what you're calling out as a fade) is triggered by velocity. Play a sustained chord with that patch and the sound "swells" a little bit as well. Played through a stereo setup - it sounds great.

Correct

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

That's in my new band's list, so I'll be learning it. Do you just do left hand horn section and right hand soloing of the individual horns? Do you switch horn voices for the different solos? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to doing this, but know that I'll probably end up spending a lot of time on it just because I'm sort of anal like that.

The horns parts fall to our sax player and I. My voicings purely focus on the "brass" facet of the horn section - with a combi patch that consists of a "section" voice as a basis combined with a trombone voice (the one I'm using has alot of "lip" in it...) and a trumpet voice (the one I'm using has some "growl" to it).

The sax player and I harmonize the "intro" horn solo (during which I bring the trombone voice to the front with the slider). During the verses - I dial back the trombone voice to shoot for more of a blended brass section sound - and block the verse chords using the expression pedal to "swell" them as smoothly as I can behind the vocals.

During the extended solo / outtro section - the sax player and I harmonize the "latin-esgue" horn lines (I bump up the trumpet voice for these parts) ... and then we trade licks with me using the trombone voice again. When we're done - we repeat one of the harmonized "latin-esque" horn lines twice - and end it.

I use my right hand to play any/all of the horn lead lines I cover - and use my right hand to play a somewhat mellow organ patch (octave shifted so that it's comfortable to play - and kept pretty low in the blend with an expression pedal).

To be honest, I think what really makes it work for us is the real sax. It's enough real horn to take the "synth" edge off the brass (both in terms of tone - and as much as I hate to say it out loud, my keyboard player emulation of a horn player).

Well, since I'm the sax player, too, I'll probably need to cover it all with keys...unless I can talk the one guitar player into playing some key horns during my sax parts....but he plays an XP80...not gonna cut it for horns. I think I'll be better off just doing all key horns.

XP80 has some fairly decent brass sounds actually I noted to my surprise last night. I should say horn sounds, things like Trombones were fairly decent IIRC. I qulify this by saying I wasnt looking for brass patches in my XP80, just stumbled into them and thought "not too bad" in comparison to my Motif XS

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Amazing how we migrated from creating a good brass section to finding good BBQ.

:laugh:

I've been in Austin, TX for less than 24 hours, and I'm already digesting my second BBQ meal of my stay....
:thu::D it's hard not to do that!

Where have you hit?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Went to Iron Works for dinner Fri, Smitty's in Lockhart for Sat lunch, and BBQ at the venue Sat night. Iron Works was really good. Smitty's was a religious experience. The venue was edible.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I love Iron Works, will have to try Smitty's if we get out that way. There are lots of options all over. I gotta find what's good around Williamsburg while we are here...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

XP80 has some fairly decent brass sounds actually I noted to my surprise last night. I should say horn sounds, things like Trombones were fairly decent IIRC. I qulify this by saying I wasnt looking for brass patches in my XP80, just stumbled into them and thought "not too bad" in comparison to my Motif XS

I used to have an XP-50, so I'm assuming they were the same sounds. IIRC, there were a couple ok generic brass ensemble type patches, but not anything that would sound realistic in the context of Beginnings. As I recall, you could layer 4 sounds in patch mode, and then technically up to 16 in mix mode - or whatever they call it on that - but with only 64 notes of polyphony, you'd eat through voices in a hurry if you tried to layer individual horn/sax sounds to create a more realistic ensemble that could be modulated for realism. But maybe I'm just being picky and a stock ensemble patch would be good enough.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived