Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crash Course for First Live Gig - Got Advice For Me?

felix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monitor is important!

Absolutely. Be prepared to hear yourself differently than what you are used to when playing at home. You will likely be louder, or quieter in the mix than you are used to and that can affect the way you play. So, just be prepared for that variation.

Don't eat anything questionable before the gig. You don't want to have to take a ferocious dump mid-set.
Also don't drink too much beer, so you don't have a take a ferocious piss mid-set.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Don't eat anything questionable before the gig. You don't want to have to take a ferocious dump mid-set.
Been there, done that

I was actually appalled for about 2 seconds when I read this advice, but it has happened. Across the street, the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower has bands in the courtyard every Wednesday for lunchtime enjoyment. I took an early lunch and heard this reggae band playing. In the middle of the set, the drummer just got up and went in, and the keyboardist sat at the throne (Drum throne that is). I looked at the keyboardist with a WTF? He looked right at me and said He had to take another shit. (yeah, not a but another) I laughed my ass off, and pointed to the keyboard rig with a mind if I. gesture, and he nodded yes! I spent my lunch hour and then some jammin with reggae cats. That must have been a mean dump, because when that drummer finally did show back up about an hour later, he was sweating like nobodys business.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The Sears Tower isn't the Sears Tower anymore? Damn.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That must have been a mean dump, because when that drummer finally did show back up about an hour later, he was sweating like nobodys business.

...and walking like John Wayne....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Or, it could go the other way...

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Playing a bunch of 80's tunes usually makes me nervous, because generally that means a lot of very specific parts that have to be played just right. This, as opposed to, say, playing a lot of grateful dead or allman bros . . . stuff where you're more supporting and just fitting in with the general groove. Although the latter kind of music takes more skill, your mistakes are going to be less exposed.

So, if I were in your shoes, I'd focus on being able to play the important signature lines, the stuff you really have to get right in order for the song to go well. Make sure you're on top of all that, and don't try to play every keyboard part you hear on the recordings.

Lots of good advice from others. I'd emphasize being absolutely sure you'll be able to hear yourself well, and being able to adjust your volumes on the fly without it being a major distraction.

It's a high school reunion, so I imagine it's going to be very relaxed and fun, and that expectations are not going to be all that high as far as the quality of the band. In those situations, people are generally stoked just to see their old friends on stage, giving it their best on songs that take everyone back to the day.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Also, if you find yourself a little, shall we say, backed up, before the gig, toss a couple packages of Sweet 'n Low into hot or very warm water, gulp it down, do some jumping jacks, and hopefully nature will take its course. A caffeine remedy might make you jittery just when you don't want to be.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Or, it could go the other way...

[video:youtube]

Poor kid, having it on Youtube. :laugh:

I've played 4 vomit gigs, none of which I was the vomiter:

1. Jazz gig in the 80s. Keyboardist was a heroin junkie and threw up all OVER his keys.

2. Symphony (college years): my girlfriend at the time and I went out drinking before a show. She ran off stage but didn't make it. It's a powerful anti-aphrodisiac to watch your gal vomit on stage.

3. Opera: Horn player threw up in the pit, she was on drugs. It was a hydraulic pit, meaning it's impossible to get out or in while the gig is happening, they have to lower it to get out. Stunk like holy hell for an hour.

4. Wedding Quartet: gal threw up all over her fancy dress while playing "Jesu". Only one that didn't involve substances, she was pregnant and morning sickness came a bit late.

There is a legendary story (and true) known all over the classical world of a principal wind player of the NY Phil. They were on "Live at Lincoln Center", which is actually live, and he had a big solo and had to take a dump. He did. A million people watching, camera on him for the solo, which he played whilst shitting himself. :D

I can't handle vomit. Oh man I'm a sympathy puker. Not a good thing when you have kids.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There is a legendary story (and true) known all over the classical world of a principal wind player of the NY Phil. They were on "Live at Lincoln Center", which is actually live, and he had a big solo and had to take a dump. He did. A million people watching, camera on him for the solo, which he played whilst shitting himself. :D

It makes it all so ordinary,

Just like you and me,

To know the greatest heros,

They had to shit and pee.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Ive recounted this story elsewhere in this forum, but Ive only been on one Vomit gig: 20+ years ago, our drummer had a stagefright issue. About 2 or 3 songs in, he tossed his cookies, right onto his black Ludwig Vistalite drums. And kept playing. And splashing. And splashing some more.

People still talk about it to this day.

:rimshot:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink009.gif

http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9532.gif

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

You guys are no longer being helpful :)

In all fairness, nobody was helpful to begin with. ;) It's an experience that cannot be duplicated in the practice room, described, prepared for. Every person reacts differently. All we can do is wish the OP a hearty "Good Luck". :thu:

By the way, please make sure and let us know how the gig went! We will be thinking of you. I started playing in a band again a few years ago after a 20+ year break from it. It was one of the best things I ever did!

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Archived