Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crash Course for First Live Gig - Got Advice For Me?

felix

Even with years of piano lessons and playing and a 30-year love affair with synths, I've never gigged with a band. Guess my keyboard involvement has been something of a real-life version of that Flight of the Conchords "Inner City Pressure" line ... "You just stay home and play synthesizers" (video below for your enjoyment).

But that's about to change. I've agreed to help out a friend who's playing a high school reunion gig in August. Fortunately, the setlist will all be early '80s songs that I'm already super familiar with, but seeing as how I'll be giving myself a crash course preparing for the gig, I thought I'd solicit the forum for advice & tips.

I have a JP-8000, an UltraNova, a Voyager, and a PEK that are all options for me to use. I also have a MacBook Pro that I can use with a controller. I'm thinking I want to keep it narrowed to a couple of keyboards if possible.

Here's the very preliminary (and very predictable) setlist:

Whip It - Devo

Melt With You - Modern English

Shake It Up - The Cars

I Ran - A Flock of Seagulls

White Wedding - Billy Idol

Rio - Duran Duran

Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran

Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Just Like Heaven - The Cure

Video Killed Radio Star - The Buggles

Rapture - Blondie

One Way Or Another - Blondie

Der Kommissar - After The Fire

Purple Rain - Prince

Turn Me Loose Loverboy

Dont You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds

Cars - Gary Numan

She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby

Dont Change - INXS

And She Was - Talking Heads

And now, the promised Flight of the Conchords video:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great setlist indeed - can we all come to the gig?

As others have said, keep it simple. At the gig, it's generally a bit more difficult to handle sound changes and button pushing than in rehearsal, as the lighting may be bad and you'll be feeling under pressure.

Can you set up your rig so you only have to make program changes on one keyboard and that changes sounds on the others via MIDI? That's worth doing if you can.

Then run through all the songs in set order with all the sound changes so you're sure everything works.

I have a JP-8000, an UltraNova, a Voyager, and a PEK that are all options for me to use. I also have a MacBook Pro that I can use with a controller. I'm thinking I want to keep it narrowed to a couple of keyboards if possible.

I would keep the Voyager at home and avoid bringing the laptop if you can, depending how spot on you need the covers to be (e.g. you'd need a CP80 sound for "Video Killer").

Those synths aren't multitimbral, are they? Sounds like you may have to do some patch changes mid-song, or bring the JP8000 + PEK + Ultranova and probably cover every sound you need without patch changes.

If you do take the laptop, what VSTi host would you use?

I agree it sounds like a fun set!

-John

I make software noises.

I've played all but a few of those songs extensively. A good setup is a 2-keyboard rig with a a ROMpler/workstation and something good for the mroe distinctive analog patches. If you're using your laptop, then one board can control that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Even with years of piano lessons and playing and a 30-year love affair with synths, I've never gigged with a band. ......

A few suggestions:

(1) Visit the gig venue beforehand, while another band is playing live. Look at the space and get a good idea of where you are going to put everything, and what wires and cables you are going to need to run where.

(2) Lighting! If you have had a 30 year love affair with synths, you are old enough to have middle aged near vision problems, which become more severe in dimmer light. Gigs at clubs and bars are usually played in dimmer light. Do you need to read any notes or sheet music while playing? Can you connect all your cables in dim lighting?

(3) How will you hear yourself? Will your bandmates be able to hear you (is your keyboard sound coming through the stage monitors, or is your keyboard amp the only thing that lets you and your bandmates hear what you are playing? Will you be able to put your keyboard amp where you want it?

(4) Shoes! Especially if you will be standing, a really good pair of shoes to support your feet is important, since if your feet get sore it will sap your energy.

Have fun!

Make sure you have a quick way to adjust your volumes. Especially if you go with just one or two boards and organize splits, program changes, etc., it's likely that the volume balances you set at home aren't going to sound right in the context of the group.... usually, you'll need to tweak them a bit. If you have enough reharsal time, make notes of what needs to be adjusted after every song. But if you are also able to make quick adjustements onstage, that usually helps too.

Practice practice practice... You'll possibly find the experience of playing with others quite chaotic and dynamic compared to playing alone. Once that song starts there's no stopping! You have to have a different mindset -- and be able to think quickly.

There's also the rhythmic aspect. How's your timing? You have to listen and feel others' playing to really make it work. It's no longer about you -- it's about the band.

And I'll second the advice about keeping things simple. Take as few boards as possible. Good luck! You are in for a wonderful adventure!

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Keep everything as as simple as you can. Try not to step on the bass player's parts, and don't be shy about laying out if you

need to. I would personally consider if I could set up one keyboard

to cover all the general sounds, then go that direction if possible. Most importantly, relax and an try to enjoy your first gig with a group.

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

My suggestion: Think about possible equipment failure that you can reasonably prepare for, & bring extra cables & such.

Here's my favorite Flight of the Conchords song/video, performing their song "Business Time." Hysterically funny, I think:

Monitor is important. Find out what you'd be provided if you don't plan to bring your own. You'll need your own monitor; it doesn't work well to use the same monitor for vocals and keyboards. Many setups these days have multiple monitor feeds and it's no problem. But sometimes even if the gear can handle it, the sound guy doesn't want to take the extra trouble to get you your own monitor.

Make sure your patches are all set to the right volume to work together. You'll learn about that if you do setlist runthoughs as suggested above (and a lot of other issues too.) Even then, Marino's right that you'll want to make sure each board's volume control is handy. That's often not so easy with a laptop. I've used laptops live, but I recommend against it for a first gig.

Show up early, take your time to set up carefully, and relax before the show starts.

HAVE FUN!

+1 :laugh:

Excellent advice given all around. Nothing I can add except be yourself and have a great time!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

+1 :laugh:

Excellent advice given all around. Nothing I can add except be yourself and have a great time!

And prepare for the onslaught of adoring female fans. :laugh:

Perhaps the Nordess will be there. :)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Try to get as many sounds/patches/splits/layers/etc. stored for quick recall as you can. If you are doing the songs in the original keys, then put the set list into a playlist and play along with them (with the keyboards you will bring and after you have stored everything for quick recall).

If the place will be dark, have a reading light or something you can use to see the control panel of your boards ( I had an outdoor gig and it was pitch black so I learned this the hard way).

Rehearse as much as you can stand it (yourself, and with the band if possible). Remember that the audience will only hear the real big mistakes so try to enjoy playing instead of being perfect. Great set list by the way!!!!

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

I was in the same boat as you 5 years ago. Long time piano/keyboard player, but never played a real gig, just informal get togethers in friends' basements or what have you.

Half way through that first night, I looked out at the crowd of girls dancing in front of the band and said to myself "I can't believe I waited until I was 41 to do this"

Enjoy!

I was in the same boat as you 5 years ago. Long time piano/keyboard player, but never played a real gig, just informal get togethers in friends' basements or what have you.

Half way through that first night, I looked out at the crowd of girls dancing in front of the band and said to myself "I can't believe I waited until I was 41 to do this"

Enjoy!

That's what it's all about :thu:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The Buggles tune is deceptively cool. The chord voicings are awesome.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Bring your own amp as a back up monitor.

Use a mixer to control your mix

Bring a flashlight

Use two keyboards or less unless your getting paid big bucks

Listen to your bandmates

Have fun

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Yes there will be rehearsals, but the band & gig are not in my town, so there probably won't be as many as I'd like. Probably 2 or 3 - they'll happen closer to the gig, and I should have my parts worked out prior to the rehearsals.

Those synths aren't multitimbral, are they? Sounds like you may have to do some patch changes mid-song, or bring the JP8000 + PEK + Ultranova and probably cover every sound you need without patch changes.

If you do take the laptop, what VSTi host would you use?

If I utilize the laptop, I'll probably use MainStage. It's possible I'll acquire a ROMpler / workstation soon, which could kill a lot of birds more easily.

Wow - great advice, everyone. Much appreciated! I'll keep you updated on my progress (and I'm guessing I'll also have some more questions along the way). Thanks a bunch - I welcome any and all feedback.

I just started gigging a couple of years ago, so my first one is very fresh in my mind. My #1 piece of advice: it won't go perfectly (e.g. volume balancing issues, a clam here or there, coming in a bit early or missing a change), and you'll be acutely aware of everything that goes wrong. Make sure someone's out there recording you, so you can listen to it afterwards and realize you did in fact sound great, and SO much better than you thought at the time! (I still need to do this...amazing the diff between my perceptions on the bandstand and what the videos tell me).

Yes there will be rehearsals, but the band & gig are not in my town, so there probably won't be as many as I'd like. Probably 2 or 3 - they'll happen closer to the gig, and I should have my parts worked out prior to the rehearsals.
Learn them, but don't commit them to memory in a totally inflexible way. Things may change, solos may extend, medleys may happen, etc.... You want to know the parts of the songs, know the structure of the songs, and me able to change the parts around if need be.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived